Like to eat? Let me paddle your OC-1 around a bit - I'll buy you a meal :-)

I'm looking to try paddling an OC-1. The threads I've seen here in the forums do not look promising for trying to rent one. So, I'm hoping that a resident paddler would be willing to let me try one out. Mostly, I just want to be able to take one out for and hour or two in relatively calm water, maybe try to catch a little swell if it feels right.

My wife and I will be in Maui once again this fall. This will be our third stay - We're hooked. As usual, we will be staying in the area of Honokowai in West Maui. Last time there we often saw paddlers in OC-1s casually paddling by just outside our ocean front rental close enough to talk to. I was tempted to strike up a conversation - but I didn't, worried about being mistaken for a tourist :-)

My background: I've been an avid whitewater open canoe paddler for 15 years. I regularly paddle on Class III rivers and participate in whitewater slalom races in open canoe. I also run a website for paddlers - The Northeast Paddlers Message Board - NPMB.com (http://www.npmb.com). I'm a strong paddler, and a responsible person who can be trusted with your canoe.

On one of our previous visits my wife and I really enjoyed the opportunity to paddle in a big six person outrigger with the wonderful people at the Kihei Canoe Club. That was a real treat. But, I'm used to paddling a solo canoe and would really like to try one out. It would be really cool if a couple or a few people with canoes could do this together, as my wife is also a strong paddler and could maybe give it a go too.

FREE LUNCH OR DINNER!
In appreciation to anyone who is willing to loan a canoe and a little bit of time, I'd like to take you out for a nice meal in Lahaina at someplace like Aloha Mixed Plate, or Mala, or someplace you like that is close to a good paddling location.

Thanks,
Wayne

Submitted by WayneM on Wed, 07/28/2010 - 9:14am

WayneM: Too bad you're not on Oahu, especially on the Windward Side (Waimanalo - Kahuku), for you'd be on the water already. Anyway, for you, I recommend the V-1 or Tahitian style rudderless solo outrigger canoe, since you are a white water paddler and paddle only on one side. Your style of paddling would fit in real nicely with the V-1, and most of us who paddle rudderless would love to observe and learn your paddling technique. So, check around Maui and no scared ask if any V-1's are available for test out, for I bet the paddlers there will be impressed with your technique and paddling skills, which most of us would be eager to learn? Anyway, OC'1's are for those paddlers who prefer using a rudder.
ps: You got a lot to teach us? Maybe we'll end up buying you lunch/dinner?

#1 Wed, 07/28/2010 - 2:19pm

Where is the "like" button? Great post. Good luck WayneM

#2 Wed, 07/28/2010 - 4:52pm

Hi Wayne, if you took a little drive over to Kahului, i'm sure someone at the Hawaiian Canoe Club could help you. Also there may be manufacturers demo OC1's or OC2's in the area that you could try - out. Their website is www.hawaiiancanoeclub.org

I was made most welcome when i visited in the past and was able to borrow canoes for races etc. Plus this side of Maui is a little less "touristy" and not far from Jaws surf location and other iconic locations that may be of interest to you. Honokowai area where you are staying is nice too, but i enjoyed the Hana - Kahului area more for the paddling opportunities.

The contact details are below

Hawaiian Canoe Club
P.O. Box 5053
Kahului, Maui, Hawaii 96733

Our Hale is located at:
Hoaloha Park
Kahului, Maui Hawaii

Phone (808) 893-2124
Fax (808) 893-2047

E-mail: info at hawaiiancanoeclub.org

Cheers Rambo

#3 Wed, 07/28/2010 - 6:59pm

Are you getting a free feed for that info Cecil............

#4 Wed, 07/28/2010 - 7:31pm

Maccas voucher in the mail if i'm lucky...haha

#5 Wed, 07/28/2010 - 9:46pm

and my tip is to drive around the North end of the island through the forbidden zone where hire cars are not allowed to venture ( as if) the road is so narrow and the scenery so beautiful it's areal buzz and right in the middle you will find a little cabin that sells what they claim to be " The best banana bread in the world"and I reckon they're right.
If ever you visit Sydney look me up I like your style.

#6 Wed, 07/28/2010 - 10:11pm

Where's Fuzerider? Here's a paddler from his neck of the woods and he hasn't given him a demo ride yet? WayneM, check out fuzerider when you get back home, for he has switched to surfskis and has warehouse full of brand new and never paddled oc-1s for sale at dirt cheap prices.
ps: come on Maui paddlers, let this paddler go for a spin on your v-1 or oc-1. Unfortunately, now a days mainland paddlers by-pass Oahu and just fly directly to the Neighbor Islands and usually stay on the lee side of those islands where it is usually flat.

#7 Wed, 07/28/2010 - 11:36pm

Aloha Wayne,
I got a V1 you can jump on and would be glad to hook you up with Kai Wa'a to demo the Scorpius.
Give me a call when you're on island.
Eric
(808) 870-7133

#8 Thu, 07/29/2010 - 9:22am

Wayne, I have a fantastic Pueo that you can use anytime you like. Fly me and the canoe to Hawaii from Sydney, and you'll be on the water in no time. I prefer Italian cuisine. Cheers, mate.
Trevor.
Ps, I'll need a place to stay as well - by the water preferably.

#9 Thu, 07/29/2010 - 10:17pm

My tummy is rumbling .......!!!!

#10 Sat, 07/31/2010 - 8:21pm

Wow!

Thanks for all the great advice and offers :-)

Food = the great motivator. But, I know it's really that you're all very helpful and generous paddlers.

I will make the appropriate contacts when I know our travel dates/plans better. Right now, looks like shooting for Sept 16-23.

For those of you who just need me to fly you around - I would if I could :-)

#11 Wed, 08/04/2010 - 3:20am

Hey Wayne ,

Don`t know who you are but, if you are from my neck of woods ,,, then you are welcome to come paddle with us us close to home .

Please sleep in altitude tent before you come to paddle because friends don`t let friends suffer too much O2 debt ...

#12 Thu, 08/05/2010 - 1:56pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.523 seconds.