A Message from Mel Pu'u: Leighton Look Memorial/ Dolan Brothers Benefit this Sunday 12/12 ( TBA)

Aloha,

My name is Bradah Mel Puu. I'm a Surfer, Canoe Paddler, and a Lifeguard for the City & County of Honolulu since 1982. For the past five years I have held a surfing event at Makaha Beach as a fundraiser for a friend of mine Mr. Leighton Look, who was paralyzed in a diving accident. Sadly he passed away on September 25th 2008. It has now turned in to a memorial event for Leighton, and it is my hope to keep his legacy and his kind nature alive in our hearts and minds.

This year, as it was done last year the proceeds will be given to two of Hawaii's Olympic hopefuls, Patrick and Ryan Dolan. Patrick has been on the U.S. Olympic Kayak team for a few years now and his younger brother for two years. Their goal is to do well in the single and two person kayak event at the nationals as well as over-sea's and reach the 2012 Olympics. With the Olympic funding cut-off last year and limited funding this year, Patrick and Ryan along with their mom Anne has to do most of the fundraising on their own, and it hasn't been easy. I know whatever we are able to raise will be greatly appreciated. The event attracts the best paddlers and surfers from Tahiti, Brazil, France, as well as the U.S. and Hawaii. It has two divisions, Canoe Surfing and Stand-Up Surfing. If you have ever seen Canoe Surfing before then you know that it's one of the most exciting water sport ever. And Stand-Up Surfing or SUP is the fastest growing art of surfing since boogie boards!

I understand that times are tight and it is hard to give a lot, but we will try our best to assist them too reach their goals of the 2012 Olympic Games. We are asking for any amount of cash donations, or any type of donations possible. We will be holding a Raffle drawing at the event so a t-shirt, a pair of shorts, a boogie board, surf board, or whatever you can give would be greatly appreciated. But the goal is to raise money for the boys to get to their competitions, and then to the 2012 Olympics. I thank you so much for spending the time to read my letter and hope that you can join us at Makaha for this year’s event.

Mahalo Nui Loa,
Bradah Mel Puu
P.O.Box 1006 Waianae Hi. 96792
ph.# 808-478-9086

Contest dates; December 4th & 5th 2010
Alternate dates; December 11th & 12th 2010

Checks payable to; HASA (Hawaii Amateur Surfing Association)

Submitted by CommOcean Hawaii on Mon, 12/06/2010 - 10:31am

Awesome message Mel! We miss Leighton and helping the Dolan boys fulfill their Olympic dream is a great cause.

#1 Tue, 12/07/2010 - 11:47am

You can bet we will have a crew there Mel, can't wait to hang out with the Westside gang. Thanks for doing this for the guys.

#2 Tue, 12/07/2010 - 8:05pm

God bless, I'll be there.

#3 Tue, 12/07/2010 - 11:41pm

Howzit Mel. Long time no see my bruddah! Funny thing happened this morning. Kahu Billy Mitchell's name came up today and it made me think of Hui Lanakila and then Leight. So I googled Leight and read some of the articles from several years ago (fundraiser canoe race, his passing, etc.) which in turn lead me to this post from you. Thank you for keeping up this memorial event. Aloha...Eddie

#4 Wed, 12/15/2010 - 7:54am

Good to hear from some of the old time Hui Lanakila guys.
Bruddah Mel, right on for you keeping this event alive and what a great cause you have. I still wear the Looking Out for Leighton shirt that you gave me at Leightons funeral.
Aloha....Jim

#5 Wed, 12/15/2010 - 8:51pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.239 seconds.