A Survey of Injuries and Medical Conditions Affecting Competitive Adult Outrigger Canoe Paddlers on O‘ahu

I was looking for information on shoulder pain and found this. It was probably posted here at some time.

http://www.hawaiimedicaljournal.org/68.07.162.htm

Submitted by squatty on Thu, 07/01/2010 - 5:41am

Australian Canoeing have run a similar survey of its members over the last couple of years, not sure if the results are online.

#1 Thu, 07/01/2010 - 6:22am

try Voltaren

#2 Thu, 07/01/2010 - 8:09am

Celebrex

#3 Thu, 07/01/2010 - 9:52am

Thanks for posting the link to that Journal Article.
I am proud to say that I went to school here at UH with the primary author of that paper. As part of her research going into that study, she visited many canoe clubs and a few regattas to have paddlers fill out her survey.

#4 Thu, 07/01/2010 - 3:46pm

They forgot "'haemorrhoids"...

#5 Thu, 07/01/2010 - 11:00pm

An interesting article and one that may be very representative of injuries sustained outside of Oahu as well. I know of multiple paddlers (including myself) that have sustained at least one of the listed injuries. A wonderful expansion of this type of study would to try and identify common reasons for these injuries to focus more attention on prevention. Some might be fairly obvious (repetition injures, core strength, hydration/nutrition) and just not get the proper emphasis, but others might warrant special attention. I couldn't help but wonder how many of the acute rib injuries or cases of head injuries might be caused during change outs. Some of these answers might help the small and starting clubs as our sport grows.

#6 Fri, 07/02/2010 - 5:30am

Does carpel tunnel syndrome from hours of posting on OCPaddler count as a paddling injury?

#7 Fri, 07/02/2010 - 9:25pm

they didn't ask me, i had this giant boil on my ass. It was like I had 3 ass cheeks. Got it lanced, packed and couldn't sit for a week. Good excuse not to go to class...

#8 Fri, 07/02/2010 - 10:00pm

poo
More info than we need unless of course you have a video posted to YouTube.

#9 Sat, 07/03/2010 - 6:41am

I missed training this morning, need some ButtAid, ground the skin off at Hammo last weekend on the 42km changeover, still sticking to my jocks!!!!!

#10 Sat, 07/03/2010 - 2:05pm

Sheesh, if they surveyed me they would have video taped the lancing. Doc laughed cause so much goo came out. Jibofo, if you care I can send you pics of the scar.

clarkie, missing the days of having a raw ass. Man, that was the worst. I have a bad visual of your jocks sticking to your ass. Gross man.

#11 Sat, 07/03/2010 - 9:54pm

Appreciate the offer but I can probably make do with the info you've provided so far.

#12 Sun, 07/04/2010 - 7:31am

Alright Jibofo, you know just trying to be a nice guy and helping out with others.

Let me know if you change your mind, no problem.

#13 Sun, 07/04/2010 - 10:44am

Poopsie, I know you don't miss it that much. Cause every time i try to get you to paddle you have a new excuse....

As for the repetitive use injuries. What many people may not take into account is that a contributing factor to the injury is poor technique or equipment choice. If paddling were really so bad for your body I'd guess the incidence of say back and shoulder problems would probably be much higher. In the days of longer paddles when I was in my late teens and early twenties I had constant rotator cuff problems. Now, after 20+ years of paddling and reaching my mid thirties, my shoulder issues are 100% gone. I chalk it up to a couple things. 1) my paddles have gotten quite a bit shorter since high school. 2) I've changed my technique to keep my top elbow wandering up and tweaking my shoulder when I reach for a stroke.

Only thing I claim that paddling has done to me is make me crazy. Now ass boils and such probably are a direct result of paddlers enjoying the amazing waters around Honolulu. Sad but true. My 2 cents.

Edit: my bad. I just realized this was a survey of COMPETITIVE adult paddlers. The numbers do not apply to me.

#14 Sun, 07/04/2010 - 9:54pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.201 seconds.