Hi Everyone! New to OC Paddler and planning a cedar-strip OC1 build - any suggestions?

Hi Everybody!

New to this forum. Live way up north in CA (Humboldt County) and want to get some OC1 training in. Paddled in San Diego for a few years with SDOCC. Just finished my first Pailolo run and some of the guys did Maliko. I didn't have the OC1 experience to feel comfortable - trying to change that for next year. It looked like a great time.

Just starting to delve in to woodworking and working on plans to build a cedar-strip OC1 canoe. Know it's a lot of work but I have the time and tools and want to give it a go. Working on a .yak file from the kayak foundry software if anyone wants to take a look. Want to do a sit-on-top with a rudder.

Mahalo,

Luke

Link to the yak screenshot:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dwkoyd8fugrzqkg/Screenshot%202014-09-22%2010.0...

Link to the yak file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fxohpc7jxu6jhjd/oc1.yak?dl=0

Submitted by aikinurse on Mon, 09/22/2014 - 7:13am

I've seen several strip-wood canoes and kayaks, but never an OC-1. Should be a beautiful boat! Be sure to post photos and let us know how it paddles!

#1 Tue, 09/23/2014 - 7:25am

Something I've always thought would be neat. If you're going to do all that work, you might as well start with a good OC1 design. The Yak design is all wrong for OC1. Wrong shape, wrong cockpit placement. Get your lofting from a Pueo or Scorpius. Even a Naia would be much better.

#2 Tue, 09/23/2014 - 9:19am

Gary Dierking has plans for an OC1.

#4 Fri, 09/26/2014 - 5:30am

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will be definitely posting progress as it goes (once I get past the design stage anyways and start building.)

Thanks chrislonie - figured the design would be off - totally green when it comes to any kind of boat design. Been doing a lot of reading though, trying to figure it out. Saw someone else suggest getting the dimensions from a manufactured OC1. After reading around, though, seems like some people frown on that - don't want to do anything against the rules, but I can't get a firm handle on what would be appropriate - any thoughts? I'm not against paying for quality plans - would suck to spend all that time and end up with over-sized wall art...

surfseeker: Thanks for the lead! Saw that his webpage had all sailing outriggers - I'm going to email him about an OC1 design.

Again - thanks all for the feedback! I'll keep progress posted.

Cheers,

Luke

#5 Sat, 09/27/2014 - 1:47pm

Hi Luke, been there done that, a few years ago I profiled an oc1 hurricane and an oc2 and converted to yak file. The yak files are here in my knowledge box https://www.box.com/shared/6klhgd5pvd
Cheers R

BTW, not posted that box for some time so new members may find some interesting stuff within the 3pages of knowledge archives.

#6 Sun, 09/28/2014 - 10:46am

Wow - thanks a mil Rambo!!

Gonna look through all of that treasure trove of info. That saves me a ton of time and stress. Can't wait to get started - owe you one.

Mahalo,

Luke

#7 Sun, 09/28/2014 - 1:59pm

Hi Rambo, I was looking at your OC1 design and had some questions. First was wondering why there were two cockpits? Also noticed the length was 24', which is quite a bit longer than the Hurricane. Wondering if this was maybe supposed to be the OC2 v1 file (noticed that the second file was named OC2 v2)?

BTW - the info there is awesome - great for a beginning OC1 paddler - thanks!

Luke

#8 Tue, 09/30/2014 - 6:19am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.160 seconds.