What's the best oc6?

Aloha gang...a friend of mine is starting a club in North Carolina and they want to purchase three new canoes. What should they get? Are unlimited wa'a available for such purchase?

Submitted by Jim on Sun, 06/29/2014 - 2:57pm

Bradley Lightning?

#1 Sun, 06/29/2014 - 3:02pm

jaymbes!!

ask any of the builders. Non Spec (unlimited boats) are evolving with every build I'd say. but they all seem fast with the right crew in them.

Tiger makes them.
Pure Canoes makes them
Kamanu Composites make them.

Tiger, Odie (pure) and Kamanu all have contact info online and they all make boats for sale.

word on the street is that Bradley is coming out with a non spec canoe soon too. That should be interesting to see!

originally people had concerns about lightweight canoes being durable enough for regular use. but the canoes built for the original ‘Eono about 4-5 years ago are still going fast and strong even with being paddled and raced A A TON. seems they're pretty solid.

EDIT: to stay on subject I'm not sure what's best. people seem to like the mirage in flat water and Bradley in big water. i prefer a non spec boat in any condition given equal crews.

#2 Sun, 06/29/2014 - 4:50pm

Our club has an M2 and it does extremely well in the 2-4' wind waves that we get here in the PNW.

#3 Mon, 06/30/2014 - 5:30am

so perfect for flat water. just like TI said.

#4 Mon, 06/30/2014 - 8:30am

We have a Lightening and the M2, and I would give the edge to the Lightening in calm water over the M2. The Lightening seems to glide better, and handle better as well (not as well as the original Bradley in calm water however).

When we do get the wind swell up here, the M2 handles better in those conditions due to the bell-shaped hull design which, I feel, allows it to glide over that chop a lot better than the rounded hull of the Lightening.

#5 Tue, 07/01/2014 - 10:45am

Aloha Jim odie from pure canoes makes a good unlimited. New York outrigger owns one probably can Demi up there!

#6 Tue, 07/01/2014 - 1:13pm

Just to clear up a misconception about the Lightning.

TI mentioned that the Lightning does not have a bell shaped hull design. Only the Pogue Lightnings made from the one piece mold that he made suffer from the lack of calabash. Lightnings made from Sonny's molds definitely have the calabash or bell shape and run incredibly in all conditions.

I have seen Sonny's new canoe and it is radically different than the other unlimited canoes out there. It should be available in early 2015 from what I understand.

#7 Tue, 07/01/2014 - 2:11pm

Go with unlimited, any would be a better choice than the 400 lb. canoe which are soon to be ancient history.

#8 Thu, 07/03/2014 - 7:41am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.273 seconds.