Flying Ama

Got about 2 years in the boat, on & off, and just starting to actually work on flying the ama in situations other than gliding down a wave using right brace to get and keep it in air without rolling over. I'm having a hell of a time keeping it in the air while paddling straight. I can get it pretty light at the catch and sort of "wiggle" it up there during the pull, but soon as I start to recover I either drop it back down or go swimming.

Where do you usually baseline the ama at? Right now mine is pretty level, meaning when I'm sitting in boat in calm water and I place a level across the gunnels, the bubble is centered. There is not much secondary stability in these hulls, so as I roll to right, once the ama comes up the boat will huli to right without much resistance. Would it be better to paddle with rear iaku deeper set into ama, thus making it heavier once out of water and better balanced while flying?

Of course, time on water testing is best remedy, but wanted to see where most people start their rigging out at once accomplished at flying their ama at will while paddling (not just while bracing on the downhill).

Many thanks!

Submitted by GonePaddlin on Fri, 11/27/2009 - 3:42am

Page loaded in 0.228 seconds.