Big Boys Should Bluewater SUP

After sitting on an OC1 for a mumber of times waiting to go on a Hawaii Kai run ..It started to bother me why everyone would get three or four boat lengths ahead of me... without putting a paddle in the water and just moved by the wind at their back. I am 215 pounds.....they are under 180 pounds. Same canoes. It is obvious that the ligher guys have an advantage that is not due to strength, endurance or technique when it comes to a downwind run. Us bigger guys are and will always be at a disadvantage.

This week I finally got on one of those long blue water SUP's. Awesome. My heigth was an advantage....more reach and more windage at my back. I could walk the board like a surfboard to trim on the wind swells and was not constrained by foot pedals and a fixed seat..trying to lean in order to catch the swell.
I have never liked SUP's in the surf lineup...but if there are other big guys out there frustrated by light weights being able beat you on the down wind runs...when you know you can paddle better and faster...try a big open ocean SUP. Fun and fitting.. and size matters...for the better.

Submitted by poidog on Fri, 07/30/2010 - 7:44pm

Page loaded in 0.173 seconds.