2009 Coldpack Classic

Saturday morning comes too soon. Cotton mouth and headache as I wake up after an office holiday party followed by the Friday night sailing race (more beer). Here we go... time to start getting used to waking up earlier than we want to on the weekends so that we can race. Luckily we had already loaded our boats so we could just head straight over the hill. Gorgeous day. Sign in... talk story.. finish my cup of coffee... then carry my boat across the street to the beach. There is a small group of women gathered waiting for the race to start. Jim Foti wanders over to give us the race instructions. Some are slightly confused by the semi-figure-8 around the Moku Lua islands... he looks at me and says, "You know where you are going and you will be in the lead, so no problem right?" He says this because I am the only entry on a surfski, the "faster" craft. I answer, "You would think so, but I am not that fast." It would be really embarrassing to get beat by all the OC-1s and since there were only 8 of us racing, it would be hard not to notice.

We get in the water, dunk to stave off the heat, and line up for the start. Shortly after setting out, I hear a splash. Someone huli'd right away. Bummer. I slowly pull to the front of the pack. Maybe I won't embarrass myself after all. I am in the lead at the first mark, but there are a few close on my tail. As I approach the Mokes I can hear someone gaining on me. Around the backside in the messier water, I brace more and she passes me. I push for the bumps as we pass between the islands and get lucky with a great wave that lets me have a little rest while carrying me past her. Working through the messier water behind the Mokes, she caught me again as I knew she would. We push each other, fighting for each little bump as we head towards flat island. She catches one and pulls ahead; I catch one and close the gap. Back and forth. I get lucky again and string a couple together, putting me in front once again. We hit flat island; I try to be efficient but not be so close as to risk eating it on the rocks. I am very aware that she could get a wave and go flying past. My luck holds and she doesn't. Now it is just the hard slog back to Lanikai beach. I held her off to the finish; if she hadn't huli'd off the start she likely would have led the way. Awesome race.

As the men are getting ready for their turn, I take the camera from my husband and offer to help with the timing. Compared to the 8 women racers, the field of 40 or so men looked huge. Again, Jim Foti explains the course by drawing it on the sand. The men get in the water, line up and go. First to come back are the short course-ers; a small field dominated by the OC-2s with small children paddling hard. The long course was won overall by a surfski followed closely by the field of OC-1s. Photos are posted here...
2009 Coldpack Photos

Back to the park, good food and lots of cold beverages were happily enjoyed. Good times. Good start to the solo racing season.

Submitted by rachel on Sun, 12/13/2009 - 10:20pm

didn't even realize this race was happening...was it advertised somewhere ?

#1 Sun, 12/13/2009 - 11:36pm

It was posted in the Calendar, but didn't show up on the Upcoming Events column for some reason. Three events was listed for that day, but I only saw the Singapore Ocean Cup in the Upcoming Events column. Probably would have had more participants if it did.

#2 Sun, 12/13/2009 - 11:58pm

Bummer. I would have liked to be part of this. Right in my backyard. Sounds like a fun course. Anyone... Please throw my address in in mails for upcomming races: art@acolytephoto.com
Thanks in advance. Aloha.

#3 Mon, 12/14/2009 - 11:22pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.178 seconds.