Big wave steering blade

Anyone know a source for a 4-man, steering blade for bigger surf? The paddle suppliers that I deal w/ don't carry a big wave surfing blade. Thanks.

Submitted by drewp on Wed, 12/02/2009 - 6:55am

You could try Foxworx in Bainbridge, NY. We bought club paddles from them and they do nice work. Haven't used any of their outrigger specific paddles, but I know a lot of people that have their kayak paddles and like them.

http://www.foxworxpaddle.com/outrigger_paddles.html

#1 Wed, 12/02/2009 - 8:59am

Go to www.holopunicanoes.com. Check out the accessories. Nick Beck has a bevy of steering blades made with the emphasis on deep water paddles both for his three man paddle canoes and for the sailing canoes. They are larger then regatta or distance blades and would fit your needs real well. Stout and well built. Nick is one of the top steersman around.

#2 Wed, 12/02/2009 - 10:13am

Also, shoot a email to Dave Chun at Kialoa paddles. He makes some unreal big wave steering blades. Most all the guys at Makaha, Mel Pu them, all use his steering blade at the Buff's Big Board canoe surfing contest. Try Kialoa.

JawsOut.

#3 Wed, 12/02/2009 - 10:28am

I met Nick Beck out here on the east coast U.S. last year. I'll look into his line And the line from Foxworx (Nick Beck designs). Dave from Kialoa told me he does not make big wave steering blades to sell. He's made some as prizes, etc. for Bradah Mel's big wave surfing events, etc. My normal steering blade has worked fine in most conditions, however, we've been out in some storm/post hurricane surf here on the east coast w/ larger swells and I've found the bite from the regular blade just does not cut it when there's some size.

#4 Wed, 12/02/2009 - 10:42am

Scotty Hendricks (Broad Reach Hawaii) makes a couple of different size surfing blades. Check with him.

#5 Wed, 12/02/2009 - 11:10am

Find a friend with some tools go borrow a pizza flipper from a pizza place for a templet and make your own. Its kinda fun to see how strong you can make a blade before a wave snaps it.

#6 Wed, 12/02/2009 - 2:03pm

No pun intended, but Teresa Looks husband might just be the guy you're looking for.

#7 Wed, 12/02/2009 - 7:41pm

Go for it and make your own. I've made 2 steering blades, one wood, and one carbon. It's fairly straight forward, and a lot of fun, too. My carbon blade works great (The wood one, not so much - Tiger wood shaft = REALLY strong, but way too heavy). The carbon blade is an old "skinny" windsurfer mast for a shaft with shaped foam for the blade. I epoxied the foam to the shaft, then covered with 3 layers of 5-6 oz carbon per side. Shaped a T-top out of mango, and - done! Would be a lot easier to just make one with a wood shaft and blade, then put a layer of carbon (or even just glass) on each side of the blade for strength. If money is no issue, you can order a full carbon blade from C4 Waterman. Sweet, but really pricey (I think around $450). I'd just make your own, though. For size, 13" wide by 27" tall is a pretty good ball park... Here is a pic of mine (I've since cut the carbon blade shaft way down...)
Aloha,
Eric

#8 Wed, 12/02/2009 - 8:51pm

Have a look at C4 Waterman website...
look under OC Paddles...
They have a good-looking OC-4 Steering paddle...not sure if you were searching for a "big wave" paddle as you said or one intended
for "big seas"...

#9 Fri, 12/18/2009 - 9:57am

Chris Tseu from Hui Lanakila has been making steering blades strictly for surfing waves...He had a prototype at Mel's Contest over the weekend..I know it didnt break!

#10 Fri, 12/18/2009 - 10:23pm

try hawaiian ocean adventures online. Nakoa makes awesome blades for big wave surfing and sailing canoes. he makes them for my business http://www.hawaiiancanvas.com, but if you live locally, contact him directly

#11 Thu, 02/11/2010 - 1:11pm

Try Aka Hemmings and his Bully Blades. Check them out at Island Paddler on O'ahu. I've tried two types of canoe surfing blades and his works wonders for me. Wouldn't get into a 4 man without it.

#12 Mon, 06/21/2010 - 7:10pm

Nakoa Prejean from Hawaiian Ocean Adventures is the only man I would trust!

#13 Thu, 06/24/2010 - 7:09am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.221 seconds.