Boat for a 115lb female?

My girlfriend is 5'1" 115lb. She's been using a Naia Iki for the last few years and wants to upgrade. Is there any new boats out there made for a small female?

Submitted by lbrammer78 on Mon, 08/31/2009 - 12:48pm

Oh...I get it...From the title I thought you were looking for a trade! ;)

#1 Mon, 08/31/2009 - 1:32pm

i LOLd to that ^^^. hmm, some things to look at are the new outrigger connection osprey, kai waa pegasus, and the hurricane. all are very well made boats, the newest one being the osprey. i havent had much experience on the hurricane or peggy, but im 130lbs, skinny and i love the osprey. its slim, fast and will help you catch up to the next bump real quick. only thing is that its such low volume that you'd have to be crazy to try and surf it on any breaker (but you shouldn't be doing that anyway lol). but im sure others here can tell your there experiences with the other 2 or even in comparison with all three. but DEMO FIRST

aloha,
kcchee11

#2 Mon, 08/31/2009 - 8:27pm

Definately try a few different canoes before buying. Check out the Kai Wa'a site and if you are on OAhu or in Hawaii call one of the reps. On Oahu call Doug or Kea who have LAuren's Molo Solo China Pegasus available to try out. Check out the video on the Kai Wa'a site (you have to first watch the Scorpius video until they correct the site). Video is titled "Maliko" and shows Deb and Jibofo flying in the surf- I think she is about 1230 lbs and middle age- a great athlete! Buy the canoe that is the most comfortable. Hurricane great for flat water, Pegasus great in the surf. Osprey is probably a great canoe too. Main thing, have fun!

#3 Mon, 08/31/2009 - 10:32pm

It's not nice to say that a lady weight 1230 lbs... You should apologize to her ;-)

#4 Tue, 09/01/2009 - 8:07am

for that weight i don't think you will be upgrading over a naia iki with the current crop of boats IMHO.

#5 Tue, 09/01/2009 - 11:48am

1968 - Haha, I didn't get it until I reread it myself!

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it. She's tried a hurricane and thinks it's too heavy, I'm assuming the other boats are similar weight. The osprey looks interesting but I've yet to see one in the water yet. She may just have to deal with the Naia Iki or get used to a little larger canoe.

#6 Tue, 09/01/2009 - 12:08pm

As un "upgrade" from a Nai Iki you should try a Pegasus for sure. Way more comfy than a Hurricane and way better in the surf. I know they are building them in the 18 to 19 lb range also - about as light as youll get for a regular production canoe.

#7 Tue, 09/01/2009 - 1:58pm

Hah, didn't even know it was on Kai's site. Had to loosen the velcro on my cap.

#8 Tue, 09/01/2009 - 2:43pm

mahaloz for the compliment paddlefast and to hiro for your defense. all of the comments are correct and it is out of my character to be in the public's view, however my 5'11" built weighs in between 132 to 137 depending on how much chocolate i'm eating!!!!!!

the day of that vid was awesome conditions and mahalo to earth for the ocean and wind that day.

also mahalo to Kai and Lauren for posting Jibofo's [Larry] very cool vid.

aloha
deb
=lll=

#9 Tue, 09/01/2009 - 2:57pm

Upgrade? I wish John would make a similar canoe for us heavier paddlers. My recommendations would be to make a new all carbon Iki (if you have the regular fibreglass layup). Or have John customize the seat for her. Also, see if a new designed rudder would help on the bumps? But yes, by all means, go try out all the newer canoes, I'm confident that none will fit as well at her weight level, unless she puts on more weight? The Iki would be perfect for me, if only it had more volume up front and didn't sink to the gunnels when I sit on it in the ocean. Also, go talk to Paul Guy at the Kailua Halau and see if he recommends changing?

#10 Tue, 09/01/2009 - 4:29pm

i am a light weight vertically challenged woman and i love my naia iki. i have a carbon fiber that is scarey light. i have soo much fun with this boat. its just the right size and weight for me. john martin stands behind his product. go talk to him and see what he recommends as far as changes. dont see a whole lot of ikis for sale and that should tell you something.

#11 Tue, 09/01/2009 - 10:11pm

Koa, you need to look for a used Hihimanu - a kanu for larger paddlers that the Naia Iki was patterned from. Unfortunately, John Martin quit making them a few years ago, so used is the only way you'll find one.

One of the ladies in our club has a Naia Iki that she absolutely loves. She is about the same size as the OP's g/f.

#12 Wed, 09/02/2009 - 8:33am

You're right Hawk. Always wanted to try a Hihimanu, but the used ones sold out every time I called the ad. Anyway, I really like the mini size of the Naia Iki, for it is no way a smaller version of the Naia. The Iki has a more rounder hull than the Naia and is entirely a different canoe than the old Naia. Unfortunately, they share the same name and paddlers might think they are similar, which they are not. Compared to other canoes, including the newer ones, the Iki is a fast Mini Cooper for the under 140 pound paddler. Perfect canoe for the serious 8 to 13 year old or Jr. paddler that will fit them like a glove before they grow over 150 pounds.

#13 Wed, 09/02/2009 - 2:56pm

Whoops- a typo where I dragged my finger over the 2 and 3 - she weighs 120 lbs- my guess. And a great paddler at whatever weight!

#14 Wed, 09/02/2009 - 6:58pm

Paddlefast, regarding the Osprey, I wonder how it would perform w/o its rudder? From the pictures I've seen, it looks like it could hold its own against those sit inside Kiwi and Tahitian rudderless canoes? At least, you don't have to bail after huli?

#15 Wed, 09/02/2009 - 11:35pm

Psssst! Hear tell Pineula Va'a is coming out with a ladies oc1. Stay tuned! This weekend, look for those "Firestones" on the water at sundays oc1 race. Big Boys" Kick and Glide"

#16 Thu, 09/03/2009 - 7:40pm

O.K. Cut2above,

Whats the scoops on the new boat ? Are you allowed to talk about it ??

aloha,
pog

#17 Sun, 09/06/2009 - 3:14pm

i am 5'2" and 115 lbs... i own a hurricane! perfect small person/female boat. the only downfall (from my perspective and experience with it) is the seat... it isn't the most comfortable thing in the world. but i know you can also get another one that works with the boat. good luck!

#18 Mon, 09/07/2009 - 10:23am

A couple of guys at the club have purchased a Wainui seat to replace the one on their Hurricanes and it works great , super comfortable .

#19 Mon, 09/07/2009 - 4:29pm

Regarding Hurricane seats Kai Wa'a makes replacement seats for the Hurricane- you can get them from Wendall at TriPaddle on Maui or Kai directly.

#20 Mon, 09/07/2009 - 7:32pm

Pog

Mahalo for the interest. The ladies were asking so Papu obliged ,can't say much except hang in there it should be good. Heard those "firestones" did well this weekend. Aloha! Big Boys"Kick and Glide"

#21 Mon, 09/07/2009 - 9:01pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.227 seconds.