Canoe Rocker

I have searched around for some specs and comparisons on boat rockers and didn't find much. I think Rambo had a pic comparison of a hurricane and a pegasus on a wall?

Does anyone have or know of a review with most to least rocker?

Thanks for any help....

Submitted by Just Paddle on Sun, 10/11/2009 - 10:53am

you might want to think about the distribution of the rocker too. so not just how much there is, but where it is. some boats have one continuous curve, some are flat through the middle then have kick in the nose and tail...

#1 Sun, 10/11/2009 - 3:47pm

I have noticed that and how the ideal position of the paddler on the seat appears to effect what the rocker is there for. I found this interesting concept on the Outrigger Canoe Design site:

The main problem/reason is, that most boats are hand designed. Therefor it is almost impossible to scale to certain weights.
A less weight sensitive boat is designed flatter so that the bow and stern are more in the water. That way a lighter paddler paddle won't lose the length.
For heavier paddlers rockered boats are better due to the rapid increase of volume with added weight, less wetted surface is induced that way.

Now it doesn't say for what conditions the rocker is better but that it is better. I have found moving my weight forward in the flats on my Zephyr helps get it running smoother and what "feels" like better glide.

#2 Tue, 10/13/2009 - 7:33am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.261 seconds.