Equipment Repair

I recently cut my paddle down an inch, bored out the t-top and used wood glue to reattach it to the shaft. Didn't hold very well and it loosened. Any suggestions on what else to reattach it with?

Submitted by mobettatnu on Tue, 10/27/2009 - 6:37am

Unless you have a really tight connection glue won't work. Epoxy will work better because it fills the gaps, hardens and acts like a cement.

#1 Tue, 10/27/2009 - 6:48am

Accurate craftsmanship of the joint is the best solution.
Carefully shape the tenon (the shaft) and the mortise (the bored hole) so that the fit is tight.
If you have over-bored the t-top consider replacing it.
If you decide to use epoxy, consider adding a structural filler such as mico-balls or micro-fibers to thicken and strengthen the epoxy that bridges the gaps to prevent flexing and breaking the bond under the high-torque twisting loads of the handle.

Epoxy when hardened is a plastic, it is best used in a composite material as the binder of high-tensile or compressive strength filler.

#2 Tue, 10/27/2009 - 7:44am

I want to correct myself on the earlier post. The quick cure stuff, I was informed, can be problematic later down the road, As it doesn't hold up to being immersed in water over a period of time. It is probably better to use a Marine grade epoxy, for this application. My bads.

#3 Wed, 10/28/2009 - 8:20am

When joining a knob, use one of these to make the shaft end to fit in a hole in the knob perfectly and as they said five minute 2 part epoxy works great.

drill

#4 Tue, 10/27/2009 - 2:42pm

For permanent waterproof bond, no can beat marine resourcenal glue. If she going break, she going break at the wood. Sometimes, because of conditions and without luxury of workshop or tools, you gotta improvise, so if puka too big, wrap some string from scraps of fibreglass or Kevlar around end of shaft and see if it makes it tight? If no more epoxy, polyester resin will do fine. If you like change out your t-top all the time, then hot glue them in place.

#5 Wed, 10/28/2009 - 1:19am

Thanks for everyones input. I'm no craftsman and I bored the hole in the t-top to large. I will try the epoxy and filler stuff and see how it works. Thanks again!!!

#6 Wed, 10/28/2009 - 12:09pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.209 seconds.