Fishes and OC1

Hello,

Need your help or advise on how to attache fishes on an OC1 ?
I made an attempt and was lucky enough to catch some but had to go back.
I'm looking for something :
- cheap
- easy to install
- easy to remove

Thanks in advance

You can see more into my blog http://ninefeet-ocean.blogspot.com/search/label/outrigger

Submitted by ninefeet on Wed, 09/30/2009 - 7:54am

I'd say attach this to your iako and put fish on it while you're fishing. Could even paddle back with fish on it but would be a bit slower b/c of the drag. There's another stringer somewhere else on that page that is a different style.

http://makospearguns.com/details.php?prodId=118&category=7

I use this when I'm spearfishing and have never had a fish come off while I'm swimming around.

#1 Wed, 09/30/2009 - 8:55am

i use this type when i spearfish.. this will work for fishing also

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/servlet/the-911/Cable-Stringer/Detail

#2 Wed, 09/30/2009 - 9:49am

Thanks NB1736 and DACHO, but I would like to avoid to have the fish (es?) dragging in the water...
And DACHO, I don't understand how it works ???

#3 Wed, 09/30/2009 - 11:03am

make a net to stretch between the iakos, almost make a sandwich with two pieces of net folded on top of each other with a zipper running the length towards you. Zip it open put fish in and zip up to keep them in. Then when you get to shore your fish are in a bag for ease when carrying to clean.

Here is a crude drawing of what on my mind

#4 Wed, 09/30/2009 - 11:41am

Buy a mesh laundry bag that has a drawstring and cord lock on it. Then just loop it around the iako letting it hang in the water while stationary and just pull it up and tie it up on the back deck behind you. You could buy those suction cups with a hook on it that they sell in the bath and shower department and stick those on the back deck. Then just hook the mesh keeping the fish and bag out of the water when you don't want them dragging.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us<br/>

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us<br/></br/></br/>

#5 Wed, 09/30/2009 - 4:15pm

You can probably use that net wrap they use for truck beds and just latch them around your iakos. It'll look like a web and just place all your catches on there.

#6 Wed, 09/30/2009 - 5:07pm

le système de dacho permet d'enfiler plusieurs poisson sur le cable : tu enfile la pièce métallique par la bouche, tu la fait sortir par l'ouie, en traction ele se place à angle droit par rapport au cable et le poisson est retenu enfilé sur le cable. ça va pas te plaire, ça traine dans l'eau...

When you paddle a V1, you don't have this kind of problem : throw the fish to your feet in the cockpit ! forget about OC1, Go V1 !

#7 Wed, 09/30/2009 - 10:37pm

Merci Hiro !

The trouble within a V1 is that it smells like fish an feet mixed together... :-)

#8 Wed, 09/30/2009 - 10:41pm

Smell? That's why got to mount and bungee fasten one foam cooler to the deck for use as icebox for all your catches. And no forget to pay your respects to the tax collector.

#9 Wed, 09/30/2009 - 11:36pm

in this video, it seemed that the guy mounted a box of some sort on the hurricane. If I was doing it, I would get a square flat nylon bag (like a garment bag), and add suction cups in the corners and mount it behind the seat.

#10 Thu, 10/01/2009 - 10:12am

I should try fishing from my oc1, then if I bring fish home my wife might not be so upset that i "seem to" spend more time with my va'a than her. Nah........I like moving fast, in a forward direction........She'll just have to get used to it!
Marara

#11 Thu, 10/01/2009 - 10:27am

That's right !
I don't go paddling anymore, but : I go to get something for the dinner !
Wife and kids enjoy it.

#12 Thu, 10/01/2009 - 10:40am

Strap something on the deck, you don't want the landlord to come looking for your catch. Maybe I am paranoid.

#13 Thu, 10/01/2009 - 12:47pm

Someone above mentioned putting a net between the iakos. I considered that but thought it would get in the way of paddling on your left side. Let us know what you try that works though, I have considered fishing from my boat before but wasn't sure how to rig it up.

#14 Thu, 10/01/2009 - 12:49pm

I'll try "laundry bag" and suction cups and I let you know.
3 more yesterday, I was so slow because of the drag !

From peche

#15 Thu, 10/01/2009 - 7:47pm

I use a Polaris OC1 for fishing and this is how I do it after much pain and hassle:

Small foldable picnic type insulated esky (cooler or chilli bag) under elastic straps behind me. If you don't have lacky straps then you can make loops with epoxy putty and bits of thick cord.

You need some pockets on your esky for extra lures, nail clipper for knots and pocket knife,cell phone, inflatable life vest.

PVC pipe with notch 4 reel lashed to iako with bicycle inner tube. This the best as takes the hit nicely when large fish strikes.

Tie rod to iako with safety leash.

Additional (fly type) rod lashed to front iako via same system.

Critical scoop net attached to front of the canoe where more elastic straps. Include needle nose pliers here attached to front Iako.

Extra paddle under the esky at the rear.

You'll get your best hits just as you drop in a wave.... c'est la vie.

#16 Fri, 10/02/2009 - 2:20am

Duh. I forgot to mention the fish goes into the esky where ther is already ice. Gotta do it right....

#17 Fri, 10/02/2009 - 2:22am

Mac, sounds good, any pictures ?

#18 Fri, 10/02/2009 - 9:07pm

Hi Mac,

Non ( not yet : ) fisherman here.... but still thanks for putting this up .... I know you got it right and will save this sage advice.

aloha,
pog

#19 Sun, 10/04/2009 - 10:58pm

Done !
And it works, but need some fine tuning...

From ninefeet

Thanks to you for your tips !

#20 Tue, 10/13/2009 - 6:24pm

Kai Bartlett caught a 58 lb ulua in Hana as his personal record. Many uku, some ono. He says he lets the fish tire out, pulls it along side the canoe, hits it in the head with the butt of the gaff and stuffs it in a pillow case and brings it back in his lap. No boxes, nets etc.. Sounds simple enough. MAybe a fishing tournament will take the place of the MoloSolo- what do you think?

#21 Wed, 10/14/2009 - 8:33pm

Hey,

How did this work out? I'm hoping to get out fishing this weekend and if I can't borrow a plastic kayak then its looking like I'm going from an outrigger maybe...

Thanks

#22 Thu, 11/12/2009 - 11:17pm

It works, but no more "bonito" (a kind of tuna fish).
I'll try another fish when the ocean will be a bit more calm...

#23 Fri, 11/13/2009 - 2:35am

For smaller fish, up to 6# or so, I put them in a plastic shopping bag and shove them under my bungee system in front of the foot pedals or behind the seat.
I had a Wave Blade that did not have these, so I epoxied some oFish'L leash plugs to the deck behind the cockput and strung bungees there. This system would work for a larger fish as well, but I never landed anything over 12#.
I leave the lure and hooks in the fish- just unhook the lure via a snap on the main line- I had a bad experience trying to take the hook out of a good sized Papio. The fish had pretty much swallowed the lure, the rear trebble hook flipped around as I tried to remove the front hook, and snagged my finger. Hana pa'a.

#24 Fri, 11/13/2009 - 7:56am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.225 seconds.