Hawai'i Va'a Association Development Program

The HVA is excited to announce a new opportunity for paddlers from age 16 to 21! Please see attached PDF for information or read more on our web site www.hawaiivaa.org

AttachmentSize
HVA development program.pdf768.17 KB

Submitted by HVA on Mon, 09/28/2009 - 2:13pm

I just made a couple of calls and my new ID proving that I'm 18 will be ready soon. See you guys at the meeting.

All kidding aside, big kudos to the folks making this happen.

#1 Mon, 09/28/2009 - 2:38pm

Hey, good job HVA. Need to develop our kids. After attending the World Sprints a few times, it is quite evident that we are far, far behind Tahiti and maybe even a little behind NZ when it comes to youth paddling. This is the start I hope of getting Hawaii back into the game.

BTW...when will HVA stage another V1 event?? Need to mark the calendar.

JawsOut.

#2 Mon, 09/28/2009 - 2:43pm

RatchetJaws, if you check out the upcoming event on the OCP front page, there is a link to our 2010 Summer Series. Also we'll be helping sponsor the V-1 division in Manny's PA'A races... so check out his schedule too.

lol. Sorry kimo, birth certificate required.

#3 Mon, 09/28/2009 - 2:47pm

I'm 22 but look 20 can I still be invited??? Haha. Right on HVA for making things happen

#4 Mon, 09/28/2009 - 3:31pm

im 18 and im VERY interested. i dont have a V1 of my own, but i have a oc1

#5 Thu, 10/01/2009 - 9:23am

16, with oc1, and stoked

#6 Thu, 10/01/2009 - 9:36am

Just thought I'd post this update. We've been asked a few times whether paddlers are required to own a V-1 to participate. The answer is no. You don't even need to own your own boat. Although this would make logistics easier, owning a boat is NOT required.

#7 Thu, 10/01/2009 - 4:19pm

Just wanted to bump this to the top. Also wanted to remind anyone that is interested to please PM us on this site or send an email to hawaiivaa@gmail.com with how many people you're bringing.

After talking to Tahitian officials about age regulations it looks like plans have changed somewhat. We are now planning on sending two crews to Tahiti for Hawaiki Nui. One will race in the Open Division and the other will race in the single day Juniors event.

We look forward to seeing everyone in Kailua this Sunday! Thank you to those who have emailed already.

#8 Wed, 10/14/2009 - 7:39am

18, Hui Nalu
Shoots i'll be there on sunday, hope to see you guys there

#9 Wed, 10/14/2009 - 9:55pm

thespear?

is your real name kaihe?

#10 Wed, 10/14/2009 - 10:49pm

Another thing to consider if you are on the ILH roster is the Outside Participation Rule, so check it out with your school first to see if you are in compliance. Bummers if you are a football player, for you probably only get 2 months in the summer for participate.

#11 Thu, 10/15/2009 - 9:22am

Sup thespear,
pretty much best username on here
Lucky you get to go to this.

18, Hui Nalu over here as well, and I was just wondering, as I am currently on the Mainland going college, if there is anyway can participate when I am home over the summer from May on? This program sounds pretty cherry, so I like get involved if can, if no can, I try some other time.
Shoots

#12 Thu, 10/15/2009 - 10:43am

Good point about the Outside Participation rule for the ILH. The last time we checked (been coaching ILH since 1997), the Outside Participation rule applied to 6 Man events and practices only. This has allowed paddlers to still race in single person races such as PA'A events and Kanaka Ikaika races, as well as HCKT workouts. That said, be sure to check with your coaches if you are in an ILH paddling program. During the ILH and OIA paddling seasons the HVA program will be concentrating on OC-1 or V-1 workouts as well as strength training. The current wording looks like this in the most recent copy of the ILH rules I have. It seems all inclusive so I will work to get clarification on this.
"D. RULES
1. Outside Participation: No outside participation beginning with the first day of practice and ending with the last scheduled ILH canoe paddling event."

#13 Thu, 10/15/2009 - 11:46am

Hoolehua Boy
is your real name Brawn

#14 Thu, 10/15/2009 - 7:19pm

Why not have a division for OC1's? Many of the participants 16-21 may already be racing OC1's and it is a great cross training tool in any regard.

#15 Thu, 10/15/2009 - 7:27pm

thespear,

yes...

#16 Fri, 10/16/2009 - 10:05am

i can't wait for this either, it is probably one of the best opportunity i have ever heard of. ill be there.

#17 Sat, 10/17/2009 - 5:38pm

Thanks to everyone that turned out for the meeting! It was great to finally meet all these people we've only seen online.

Hope all of you can make it for the first practice @ 4pm on the 27th. If you came to the meeting or emailed us to say you were interested you should be getting an invite to our gmail group. There we'll post all the required workouts for the program. If you DO NOT get an invite within the next two days, email us at hawaiivaa@gmail.com and we will get you added.

#18 Sun, 10/18/2009 - 11:12pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.389 seconds.