Hoop Plastic

Our spray skirt hoops for one OC-6 have disappeared.

What's a good source for that white plastic material so we can cut our own replacements?

Submitted by YankeeHookele on Mon, 09/14/2009 - 1:28am

I've used a number of different types of plastic for this application. most commonly black LDPE ( Low density polyethylene) with a haircell finish. avaialble in 4 x 8 sheets in a variety of thicknesses, it is tapable and routerable, UV resistant ( the carbonblack helps) and easy to work with.

hope that helps.

#1 Mon, 09/14/2009 - 5:59am

one year, the equipment guy in our club made hoops from cutting up an plastic trash bin (barrel sized).. it has a radius curve on the plastic already, it's the right thickness, and it's bombproof..

#2 Mon, 09/14/2009 - 7:10am

bucket

#3 Mon, 09/14/2009 - 11:49am

All made of LDPE - sounds like a winner - I like the trashbin idea!

#4 Mon, 09/14/2009 - 5:45pm

I'm not making this up. I was trying to figure out how to make hoops for one of our club's boats when a plastic barrel washed up on the beach in front of our boathouse. It was one of those plastic barrels you use to make home made wine or beer in. Nice and thick, curved perfectly, and it fit the boat. It was like the paddling gods had offered it up to us.

#5 Mon, 09/14/2009 - 5:59pm

LDPE did the trick and we took the silver.

Very useful to know these last minute crisis tricks like cutting up a plastic garbage can with tin-snips.

I saw a guy borrow a kayak from a far taller guy for a race. He used flip-flops glued together with spray-on adhesive to build up the pedals. I think he took 2nd or 3rd out a field of 40.

Experience. No substitute for experience.

#6 Mon, 09/21/2009 - 9:55am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.180 seconds.