kinda far?

I was surfing the net and came across the HIPA web site ( Big Island ) and noticed that there Championship race is going to be from Kona to Honaunau. Will that be the same course as the Queen Lili?uokalni race? I know that it took nearly 2 hours for the first canoe to cross in a 6man in typical Kona flat conditions, but to do it in a one man is nuts.

Submitted by anykine on Wed, 11/25/2009 - 9:58am

their.

#1 Wed, 11/25/2009 - 9:59am

Hopefully they will start it in Keauhou or something. Im kinda wondering how people are going to be up for that one.

#2 Wed, 11/25/2009 - 3:48pm

It's the Championship race, right? If it was only ten miles or so then everyone could do it.

#3 Wed, 11/25/2009 - 4:00pm

They will have to come up with a short course. I would think there would be a lot of people not into doing that stretch. Unless there is some kind of freaky weather it will be a lake. Its really tough to plan a challenging race here because our wind is so sporadic and if they had it at keokea then a lot of regular racers are not up for that water. Hats off to Randy for doing something to change it up tho.

#4 Wed, 11/25/2009 - 5:29pm

Its funny to be talking on a Hawaii based outrigger site but, up here in Canada's north west coast. they had a storm on Monday night and there were 30 ft waves and a ferry had to turn around and head back. It was leaving Queen Charlotte Isl. the waves were coming in the bottom deck and two cars were flipped over.

Now them there's some waves.

#5 Wed, 11/25/2009 - 9:43pm

The W. cost of Vancouver Island and the Queen Charlottes consistently post some of the highest buoy readings in the world. We have tons o' big shitty waves up here!

#6 Thu, 11/26/2009 - 11:10am

I wish I had the pics right now of a ferry being pummeled by the surf in the Puget Sound (on my non-operational computer), but that was some amazing photos. I'll post when available. btw....Jimmy, good hearing from you sir...hope to hear soon you are back on the water...well at least when it warms a bit.

#7 Thu, 11/26/2009 - 11:31am

You mean these?

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

These pics were taken on a windy day of the Washington-State-run ferry line between Seattle and Bainbridge Island. It's about a 4 mile trip on an almost entirely landlocked body of water.

#8 Thu, 11/26/2009 - 12:26pm

We did a run on Lake Washington that day. A kiteboarder was dragged to his death out there just as we were putting in. Some 50kt plus gusts-scary kine that had you looking at the tree tops to make sure you don't get clocked by a a branch.

#9 Fri, 11/27/2009 - 1:55pm

Amazing pics,drag about the kite boarder! but back to the Kinda Far topic-18 miles seems appropriate for a championship race. They can start the short at Keauhou and get 12 miles for the short course. Here's the funny thing though-Livestrong (though the HIPA organization) is running an invitation only race the same day at KeoKea. (Look at the updated race schedule, not the top layer one) So are there 2 "championship" races for the Big Island this year? If Keokea is the championship race fine, state it that way. Drop the long flat "championship" race and ask the folks who aren't eligible for KeoKea to go short course. But if it's simply a benefit why run it same day as championship, surely they could move theirs to Sunday. MTC

#10 Mon, 11/30/2009 - 7:01am

That was a mistake. Recheck it, its fixed now. Keokea is the week before.

The drag with the Pier to Honaunau is that there is virtually no moving water. Not wind, swell, or even current. Typically the current tends to move from south to north along the coast, albeit slowly. Its too bad because a lot of the top guys will very probably skip it in order to go train for the outer island races where ever the wind is blowing.

#11 Mon, 11/30/2009 - 7:58am

V1.

#12 Mon, 11/30/2009 - 8:30am

Those that have em will sure have the advantage that day.

#13 Mon, 11/30/2009 - 9:55am

It's paddling man up and race. If you cant handle go home. =)

#14 Mon, 11/30/2009 - 10:24am

On a dead flat course the difference between the V1 and Pegasus was 30 seconds over 6km. It is a fair comparison as the paddler was the same each time and no matter how hard I try I can't get the Pegasus time down to the V1. On a long flat course that is a significant advantage in perfect conditions, a little bit of side wind would soon even it up.

#15 Mon, 11/30/2009 - 4:06pm

I think the main point is just that such a long, flat course will possibly deter some paddlers from participating. Guess we'll see, it is quite a ways away.

#16 Mon, 11/30/2009 - 4:52pm

Thanks for the correction on the race schedule. I think its cool that we get all kinds of races this year on the Big Island, of course I like flat water:) I think the wind guys will get their thrills the week before. I wonder about the other islands, are the races all tending toward wind runs or a mixture? How long are the other championship races?

#17 Mon, 11/30/2009 - 6:45pm

Kanaka Ikaika Oahu Championship race is 20.5 miles for the Long and 10 (or so) miles for the Short. The Kanaka Ikaika State Championship race is 24 miles for the Long and 8 (or so) miles for the Short.

This past 2009 season was pretty brutal with not too many wind or bumps to ride as some people opt not to race.

http://www.kanakaikaika.com/2010_race_dates.htm

#18 Mon, 11/30/2009 - 8:59pm

how bout a point ranking system throughout the whole season...sort of like a grand prix of paddling...should bump up race attendance a bit as you can't pick and choose a race or you drop down on your ranking...

#19 Tue, 12/01/2009 - 5:06am

They already have that.

#20 Tue, 12/01/2009 - 5:47am

my bad...I just checked Kanaka Ikaika website and saw the points system. I didn't realize it had already existed. Have the point system always been in place or was it something new ? This will be my first year of fully racing the OC1 season (try to anyways)... still learning.

#21 Tue, 12/01/2009 - 6:08am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.214 seconds.