Minimum Windspeed for a downwinder

Just wondering if anyone has figured out the minimum wind speed needed for a fun downwind run.

What about the minimum wave height and period for a good run too? any thoughts?

Submitted by watersledder on Thu, 09/03/2009 - 2:45pm

Its like any other drug, the more you do it, the more you need.

#1 Thu, 09/03/2009 - 4:29pm

'How can you put a number on it??? If the number was 20 knot winds does that mean you wouldnt go if it was only 15? Dont get me wrong, im all about a cranking wind run but id rather go 5 days a week on 5 mediocre days versus only 1 epic day a week

#2 Thu, 09/03/2009 - 5:09pm

Today in Huahine, wind was 20+ knts, swell was 10 ft, sea temp was 25°C (78°F)... PERFECT DAY !

#3 Thu, 09/03/2009 - 6:48pm

Hiro...you guys coming out of your winter season and heading into summer, or are you guys just like us season wise, moving out of summer and heading into winter?? Was just curious. I know that in NZ it is opposite, so I figure its the same with tahiti. Tahiti starting to gear up for Hawaiiki Nui??

JawsOut.

Minimum wind speed...10 knots. Good fun, balls out...20+. Stay home...30+. Although I did go out on a 30 + day once. That was when I was young and crazy....went without a leash too. This was before the leash days. I went on my John Martin Honu Kai. I still have it.

#4 Fri, 09/04/2009 - 10:20am

Watersledder, If you ever had the priviledge of being the quartermaster of the watch while underway on a U.S. Navy ship, then you would have been required to log in every hour the wind speed and direction; current speed and direction; and your estimate of the height, direction and speed of both the open ocean waves and swells. Info about the tide wasn't required to be logged down. Anyway, all I want to say is that wind speed isn't everything, for even on a flat day, you can have fun, as long as the current and tide are going your way.

RatchetJaws, the next time there is 30+ knot wind, go take out your Honu Kai canoe for a downwind spin. But this time, reverse the ama and go put on one of John's newer designer rudders. You'll be amazed at how well this short (20 ft.) classic canoe can still cut up the bumps. The longer canoes may have a glide advantage over it, but they won't react as fast. Plus, you might beat most of the newer canoes going up wind too?

#5 Fri, 09/04/2009 - 12:52pm

I still have the Honu, but it needs fixing...haven't touched the water in years. My friends all went up to the Nai'a, but I didn't have the $$$, so I just stayed on my Honu. On certain days, in good conditions, I would beat them. That was a great down hill boat for sure.

#6 Fri, 09/04/2009 - 2:46pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.175 seconds.