OC2 - weight distribution

Hi. I'm about to start OC2 training with a team mate for a race in spring 2010. Is there a consensus of opinion about where the heavier paddler should sit in an OC2? Or is this really dependent on the canoe? Any specific things we should think about to nail where we should sit would be appreciated. We're both new to this - though have done a few OC6 races already so plenty for us to learn.

Many thanks

Submitted by stylo on Fri, 10/16/2009 - 3:39am

Heavier person up front. Mo bettah when no one's too heavy!

#1 Fri, 10/16/2009 - 12:13pm

Go experiment, for only the two of you can decide this. Where's the steering? Forward or rear? When paddling with a toddler or young child, always place them up front so you can grab them when they fall off.

#2 Fri, 10/16/2009 - 12:23pm

Unless you are on a serious down swell, down wind run; on a Stingray OC2 we run way better with heavier person in back. (I'm 205 and my wife is 98lbs...) Boat rigged so either can steer.
The above opinion only relates to that canoe.

#3 Fri, 10/16/2009 - 3:36pm

I found that every 2-man model is different. Good test I use is paddle it by yourself first. Which ever seat makes it "run" the best then thats where you put the heaviest.
I have a Waveblade II and I train on it by myself all the time, seating in seat 1.

#4 Sat, 10/17/2009 - 7:41am

I just got a stingray2. Friggen thing is pretty fun. I'm about 155ish, girlfriend is about 135ish and we were going faster with me in the back and her in the front...
I also went with Julz87 and he's about 185 and it worked with him in the back, me in the front
With my brother, it didn't matter cuz he's about 165ish...but he sucks at steering so it was better with me in the back steering
Conclusion...heavier paddler in the back

#5 Mon, 10/19/2009 - 1:17pm

hahahahaha burn....

#6 Mon, 10/19/2009 - 2:02pm

We have a john martin OC-2 (bigger volume) and a huki OC-2 (lower volume). Here's my "Law of OC-2 paddler placement" for all time. Bigger volume: doesn't matter so much. Lower volume: heavier paddler in the front. Don't talk about this law very much, because one day you may have to put your wife in the front of low volume canoe - get my drift? Also, don't put bad steerers anywhere near the foot pedals.

#7 Mon, 10/19/2009 - 2:41pm

OK thanks people, we'll go out and experiment some more!

#8 Wed, 10/21/2009 - 2:10am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.165 seconds.