Outrigger Connection Osprey

Hi All, so any reviews from owners regarding the outrigger connection osprey? I haven't seen any reviews from anyone on here.

Submitted by tsuinami on Sun, 11/08/2009 - 2:54am

I'd like to see side-by-side photos with a hurricane and pegasus. Supposedly it was made smaller to compete with that market. If they took out the massive rocker that's characteristic of OC boats, they might actually sell some on the mainland.

#1 Sun, 11/08/2009 - 6:27am

We bought one for my wife eralier this year- Karel and Milan built it in Kailua- Double Carbon with a thicker than normal Foam Core in the middle of the canoe for added strength- It's very strong and still lightweight. My wife loves it because it catches the small stuff really well and is ideal for her team's time trial course. I've used it a few times and have found the same to be true. The Osprey paddles very well upwind, in small to medium downwind, and in flats for me. Osprey surfs better than expected for a small volume canoe, probably due to the faster hull speed that I can get with it.
I weigh 175#, on the top end of the intended paddlers weight for the Osprey, so in bigger surf it's still fast, but much wetter. I can't wear surf shorts without them filling with water and acting as a sea anchor. It's better if I wear paddling shorts- Neoprene Xcel type shorts so the water anchor effect is minimized.
I did a comparison of Fuze vs Osprey with a Garmin. At the same HR ~130bpm, the Osprey was faster in the flats- ~20+ seconds per mile faster pace for a 1/2 mile trial in the Ala Wai canal.
It's definitely a departure from the other canoes that have been made at OC- very small and lower volume than previous designs. The 'ama is very well matched to the canoe. It's like it isn't there- No noticeable drag, easy to fly, not too tippy, very well balanced. Probably the best 'ama to canoe combo I've paddled to date.

#2 Sun, 11/08/2009 - 1:41pm

I have been quite satisfied with the way my Maui K. built Wainui works in big wind/big surf conditions. However, in smaller less than ideal conditions I have a little trouble with the volume of it. Being an older female paddler has its drawbacks. So, I'd been eyeing the Osprey for almost a year and finally just went for it. I've only taken out the boat 3 times since I just got it about 2 weeks ago. With limited use I can say so far that the Osprey seems to combine the best aspects of two other boats that I have owned,the Naia Iki and the Hurricane. It has the speed and quick "pickup" of the Hurricane( without tracking) coupled with the manueverability of the Iki and it's VERY comfortable. I really appreciate some of the new features too; like the sliding/velcro seat-DUH!!!! This is the first boat I've ever bought without even trying the demo. I've found that the best way to get to know a boat is just to spend some time with it. That takes a little more time than just a spin around the lagoon. They seem to be very affordable right now too.

#3 Sun, 11/08/2009 - 8:26pm

$4600 for a hawaiian made??

#4 Sun, 11/08/2009 - 8:42pm

Under $3K (+ tax) for an "off-the-shelf" carbon/kevlar model. OC ad in October's Pacific Paddler "For a limited time all OC1s under 3 grand" refers to their production ones they have in stock.

Raced mine in the PA'A Halloween race and had a fun time on it and had my best time (to date) for a HK to Kaimana run. Managed to have some of the best/longest rides on the bumps and wetter due to its lower volume and height of the footwell area than the Zephyr. Runs fast in the flats and it showed when I started passing several paddlers in the last mile to the finish.

Earlier previews/reviews and pics of the Osprey by others in this thread:

http://www.ocpaddler.com/node/5002

#5 Sun, 11/08/2009 - 9:57pm

I think those are China boats. I was told by Jr via the phone that a locally made osprey was 4595. Hmmmm

#6 Sun, 11/08/2009 - 10:05pm

I think those are China boats.

Yes, they are.

The locally made ones are double carbon hence the higher price than the carbon/kevlar production ones. My production one rides/feels the same as the double carbon demo I tried. Also, as mentioned before, the price increase is standard for them to do to once their production models become available and in stock. Helps them concentrate/catch up on doing OC repairs and maintenance at their shop which never stop.

BTW, any updates or anymore reviews for the Scorpius XM you got?

#7 Sun, 11/08/2009 - 11:39pm

I dont really know what to say. Its the sickest boat ive ever paddled - period. I do more riding on this boat than ever before, and by riding I mean long pauses while cresting swells or anything else that lets you take a pause, but in the flat it feels light and lots of glide. It seems to respond well to a strong controlled up front pull which makes it very "relaxing" for me to paddle. havent really paddled it upwind yet but did a good side wind run and it was great. The balance is amazing and I love knowing that the ama is barely skimming the water most of the time from that unique sound it makes. best thing is I got lucky and only had to wait a month for it!

#8 Mon, 11/09/2009 - 12:48am

jpi92109.... how many canoes do you own? I thought that you have recently purchased a Scorpious XM? You now have a Osprey? Life must be good.

#9 Mon, 11/09/2009 - 7:46am

His post is/was about his Scorpius XM he got (almost 3 weeks ago) as he was responding to my last post asking about it. Figured he's taken it out more since he first got it and had more input besides his first impression/review of it.

#10 Mon, 11/09/2009 - 8:35am

My bad. Went back to read and saw that I had missed the last paragraph regarding Scorp.. Kind of thought this was an Osprey discussion

#11 Mon, 11/09/2009 - 9:11am

Yeah, there is only room for one canoe in my life - at a time! I was actually in line for a Pueo when I read the post about the XM on here and that got me to call Tom. Before that tho I did look into an Osprey as well but just not really interested in a China boat - just my personal preference. Im glad that there are now 3 canoes in the "mid size" range of boat sizes instead of just 1.

#12 Mon, 11/09/2009 - 9:26am

The direct comparision that I'm waiting in is the Osprey and Tiger's Kahele. That will be interesting. Maybe the Osprey will make it to the mainland soon, so I can try them both side by side.

#13 Mon, 11/09/2009 - 9:46am

I'm really curious to read a review on how it performs without a rudder by an experience rudderless paddler. I'm sorry, but I'm just not that comfortable about paddling a sit inside cockpit canoe out in the ocean (no confidence). So I'm thinking maybe the Osprey might be an alternative option to those cockpit K-1s.

#14 Mon, 11/09/2009 - 9:49am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.197 seconds.