Paddle Grip

Was wondering if anyone had any ideas for grips on the paddle? Thanks!

Submitted by JPNPADDLER on Thu, 09/24/2009 - 2:30pm

Is it for the shaft or the blade face?

Blade face for steering paddles they use 1 inch wide rubberized non-slip tape similar to what is used in bathtubs.

For shaft, you can try
7mil vinyl electrical tape
2mm crafting foam sheet with adhesive backing
tennis racket grip wrap
or just put surfboard wax on the shaft.

#1 Thu, 09/24/2009 - 5:00pm

To add to E7Ms Cork ( real and imitation ) handlebar tape is nice too.

aloha,
pog

#2 Fri, 09/25/2009 - 8:45am

For carbon, I lightly sand with super fine grit sandpaper all grip areas. Sure it spoils the looks of the finish, but hands don't slip in the salt water.
For wood, I use a little more coarser grit to get the slippery finish off and expose the bare wood. Then I oil the bare wood with store bought funiture teak oil and let it be absorbed fully overnight. Wipe it dry with a rag the next day and the bare wood feels great and hands don't slip or blister. No gloves needed too.
ps: practice first on an old paddle because this method might not work for you?

#3 Fri, 09/25/2009 - 9:31am

earl from our club cut a piece of inner tube and slid it over the t-top...tried his blade, works great, no edges like tape, lo pro

#4 Fri, 09/25/2009 - 10:25am

Get a inner tube for street racing bike, a little bit smaller than your blade shaft. Cut about 1 foot, strech it from one end to another, then strech the diameter of one end. then get a dish soap (not much) and put it inside the tube. then work it from one end of the T to the other and down to the shaft. When in the shaft just roll one end and start washing out the soap, so that rubber does'nt twist when your paddling.

#5 Fri, 09/25/2009 - 10:36am

Learn to paddle without tape, wax or some type of grip on your paddle shaft. There's nothing like doing a 9-man race and nobody else uses stuff on their shaft. The only thing worst is making a change, getting into your seat and finding a paddle with a "tennis racket" grip. I've tossed those out of the canoe and grabbed the spare off the iako.

#6 Fri, 09/25/2009 - 3:10pm

Grip is overrated. No need!

#7 Fri, 09/25/2009 - 3:27pm

get calluses on your hand. they make for a good grip !

#8 Fri, 09/25/2009 - 3:47pm

1000 % agree with the last three posts .... wetsand a bit but otherwise toughen and technique up. Hook your fingers and thats it. No need "grip" on non steering paddles. Apologies if OP is asking about palm vs. T grips.

aloha,
a guy who only builds paddles with wetsanded finished shafts.

Edit, if you have to .. natural cork is the nicest IMO.

#9 Sat, 09/26/2009 - 12:19am

As long as we are discussing paddles, the band around my kialoa (where the wood shaft and carbon blade come together) is loose, any suggestions on how to fix it or replace it with something else? Re glue it?

#10 Sat, 09/26/2009 - 11:42am

That band on the Kialoa hybrids is heatshrink tubing with adhesive on the inside and could probably be re-shrunk using a hair blowdryer on high if you don't have access to a heatgun.

If it's still in place, you can try to re-glue it with some sort of marine grade adhesive such as UV-6800 industrial adhesive or Marine Goop. You could just wrap electrical/vinyl tape around it to keep it in place and to keep it sealed.

#11 Sat, 09/26/2009 - 1:59pm

When it comes to cork, only the finest, thinnest, and usually expensive Italian bicycle handlebar wrap will do. Please note that the diameter of the shaft will increase too.

#12 Sat, 09/26/2009 - 11:48pm

Suggest no grip-tape, wax, etc... Very light sanding okay (ensure bare wood treated as above).

Build calluses and grip technique without any grip and it will serve you well, especially when forced to use other blades like in 9-man, when you want to demo others, or just plain forgot/lost your own paddle and need to borrow.

Grip actually tears up your hands far worse than no grip. I've had my hard earned well established calluses ripped apart after using somebody's gripped paddle more than once and it's real frustrating to start all over.

When collecting paddles for 9-man, we always filter out those with grips and leave 'em on the beach. Even the spares on iakus are scrutinized.

If shaft is too slippery and/or your forearms are flaming out early, then IMO your grip technique just needs a little adjustment. Hands on shaft just need to form "hooks" and shaft fits nicely against pads just below first metacarpal joint. Keeping the fingers out of it and therefore the forearm muscles too.

Anyway, fwiw.

#13 Sun, 09/27/2009 - 6:47am

Yeah I used to try gloves then lots of wax on the paddle. Don't really use anything now that I'm way better at relaxing. Occasionally ill put some wax on my palms to counteract the sunscreen I just put on.

#14 Sun, 09/27/2009 - 11:21am

#15 Sun, 09/27/2009 - 11:24am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.217 seconds.