Paddling Tricks and Tips!

Anyone want to share their Paddling Tricks to go fast or techniques that seem to work better for you. Always a student always learning and wanting to grow more.

Mahalo,

Indar

Submitted by indar on Wed, 12/09/2009 - 10:00pm

i am an average paddler, far from fastest.......but i once picked up one feedback on this forum wich made a lot of sense and change not only my hull speed WHILE OC-1 but all my crews performances.....

"STILL WATER"

finess each stroke with no more or less power than needed to bring your boat up and forward.

the rest will come with miles, miles and more miles!!!

aloha from Argentina.

#1 Thu, 12/10/2009 - 5:19am

There was an United States Cycling coach that told me that it would take three to five years to become an accomplished racing cyclist. I've heard the same mentioned for paddle sports. In the book "Outliers" it mentions that to be successful, one must put in 10,000 hours. Are we there yet?????

#2 Thu, 12/10/2009 - 6:25am

Hmmm, not sure if that translates to be a successful paddler. 10000 hours works out to be roughly 4.8 years of paddling every work day, 8 hrs per day. If you wanted to cut that down, you could paddle 8 hrs per day every day for about 3.4 years.
I've seen guys that train hard for 6 months...say 100 miles per week with cross training and go from mid pack to lead pack. I don't think there is a number that makes you successful, each person is unique.

#3 Thu, 12/10/2009 - 6:39am

Practice like you would race is a good one. I find if you practice slow you race slow . and if you wind up with a bunch of guys that want to beat each other in practice everyday that's how you would race. just a tid bit.

#4 Thu, 12/10/2009 - 6:52am

Let me preface with the disclaimer that I am no front-pack-superstar. I'm in the mid-pack as well. And while the best piece of paddling advice I ever got borders on the cliche, it continues to help me improve. A local paddler once told me, "You need to learn to paddle well before you try to paddle fast." So simple and vague, and yet it helps. It takes hours and hours of training to get in top physical shape. It takes miles and miles of ocean time to learn how to read and use the ocean to your advantage. But with just a little mental focus and attention to detail, you can make minute corrections to your stroke mechanics that will add-up to immediate increase in hull speed and cut time off your finishing placement. I think Johnny P said in a clinic something to that effect once. To paraphrase, "Nothing gets you faster, quicker than improving technique". So rather than flailing away, pursue perfection in every stroke your take. If you don't get it right this stroke, don't worry there's always the next one, and the next one after that, and the next one after that...

#5 Thu, 12/10/2009 - 10:57am

Six as one "So rather than flailing away, pursue perfection in ever stroke your take. If you don’t get it right this stroke, don’t worry there’s always the next one, and the next one after that, and the next one after that…" I like that quote i some times use something like that on my hard training days, only it goes.

"'crack' was that my paddle? Shoots I'm going to break my paddle, OH, if I paddle harder than it might break... If it breaks then I wont have to paddle anymore... Ok if I take a harder stroke its going to break... Ok if I take and even Harder stroke its going to break... One more time... One More..."

You can do two things to get faster. One is Technique, its going to save you trouble during longer races when you start to fade or bonk. You can fall back on your technique to keep you going strong. Two you can learn to go harder than everyone around you. One is training with guys that are faster than you. Not just doing downwind runs. lets face it not every race is going to be in firing surf, you need to practice paddling in flat water every once in a while.

side note look at where you need to improve and work on that. if its technique then go practice that, it doesn't come quickly or easily. If you need to improve your surfing open ocean paddling then well go paddle in Hawaii cause everywhere else is just a poor imitation of that.

#6 Thu, 12/10/2009 - 11:13am

Just to comment about everywhere else being a poor imitation of Hawaii, I'm sure the top Surfski guys in the world would be amused by that comment. If your only focus is to race Hawaii races, then I guess that's true. Yet the folks in Australia, Tahiti, South Africa, etc. probably don't focus on only Hawaii races.
Take advantage of what you have near you, don't give up the sport because you choose to not live in Hawaii. It's becoming a global sport and Hawaii is only one of many race venues throughout the world.
I can think of spots in South Africa, Australia and even Northern California that would rival "ocean condition" in Hawaii. Just check out surfski.info and see the conditions that the South Africans run their races and with over 500 entries.

#7 Thu, 12/10/2009 - 11:23am

I know all about those races. Im from Socal and i've raced up there, its crazy fun. Its just not the same, go train out in Kailua bay for a while and you'll understand the difference between the Norcal waters and Hawaii waters.

#8 Thu, 12/10/2009 - 12:27pm

Something about the temperature of the water and the air, night and day?

Click for Kailua, Hawaii Forecast

#9 Thu, 12/10/2009 - 2:03pm

#10 Thu, 12/10/2009 - 2:26pm

As I have lived in Hawaii for about 15 years now, I think I know a bit about Hawaiian waters and conditions. Lol, have also paddled in Tahiti, South Africa and spent a summer in NorCal doing some crazy Davenport runs. I've been blessed with a job that allows me to be based out of Hawaii but work throughout the world. I perhaps may have a more open perspective on "ocean conditions" throughout the world. That's the beauty of paddling. Where ever you may live or visit, the ocean has unique experiences no matter the location. A spot not really well known as a "paddling" spot is Chile. Though I paddled a ski while I was there. As I noted above, enjoy where ever you happen to live.

#12 Thu, 12/10/2009 - 3:36pm

Paddling tricks to go fast not conditions of where you live. Bless all you fokes enjoy paddling around the world. But what are some paddling tricks that make you go fast. Example: Lean, twist reach, and grab. ex2: Bottom arm straight and push with your top straight arm from your back for more power. ex3: Grab and pull for only 6 inches and release, relax on your recovery and plant before you pull, use your legs for more power, braes your leg like your pulling on a door knob. Lean with your belly button, twist and use your core. These kind of things lets hear about not were you paddle at, no matter where you paddle learn to ride bumps, everyone can ride the big bumps but ridding the little ones too is key. Lets go everyone help everyone out to become better paddlers.

Mahalo nui loa!

#13 Sun, 12/13/2009 - 2:44am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.196 seconds.