Paddling Workouts Questions!!!!!! ****

What are some of you all doing in the water on your runs to train for races?
What kind of sprints?
Do you do any sprint sets or time drills?
How long is your runs and how many times a week?
Question about bums I sprint and get them and connect them but it takes a lot of work and focus. And then sometimes I look over and say "oh look over there, some sick bumps to go and connect." I then go try them out. How far and how fast to you go outside or inside of where you want to run for that day? And how much do you sprint for SMALL bumps. Big ones are guarantee.
Any of you all run and workout too. I do a lot but instead of running I just paddle, once a week run.

:::
Oh on a side note what you all think of doing the next race as your first race with a 10 year old boat (Viper). The next race here in Hawaii is the Makai Pair to Hawaii Kai. I train hard and can do Hawaii Kai runs in a Hour 1/2 but I rest some. Never raced a OC1 yet but been padding OC6 for three years now and been doing long distance too. I really love to just paddling and be in the water. Should I race it? I can't stop thinking about it.

Submitted by indar on Mon, 11/23/2009 - 12:18am

Unless it is flat, the Makai Range Pier to Hawaii Kai Race is for intermediates and above racers and can be pretty lively, so start out doing the short races first. "Bum" is what you sit on and bump is what you ride. Incorporating what you learn from 6-man racing is fine, just increase the duration of the intervals somewhat and do some 20 minute tempo runs parallel to the chop (with the ama on the windward side). The objective is to develop a respectable race pace that will last you the entire race.

#1 Mon, 11/23/2009 - 9:53am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.239 seconds.