Please look out for someone trying to sell the "lost" Purple & White Hurricane on Craigslist in Kailua!

There are suspicions of someone trying to sell the purple and white Hurricane that was lost on Sunday, Nov 15. The distinction of the lost Hurricane is that it has a Wave Blade 'ama and repairs on the boat. An ad was posted on Craigslist by an individual stating it was a purple and white canoe with repair work done! When contacted to see if it was the lost boat the person did not have pictures available and did not know much about the canoe. Person no longer is answering phone calls. We are asking the paddling community to help out a fellow paddler to locate this boat. Aloha!

Submitted by lahoku on Wed, 11/18/2009 - 8:43am

maybe your best bet is to file a police report. you have the person's phone number after all... i'm not sure what the rules are about lost and found property. so perhaps the person that found has a right to do what they want with it?

#1 Wed, 11/18/2009 - 9:16am

Here is a suggestion.

If you still have the phone contact number, try to see if you can go to the phone store or company and let them know about what is going on and they may help you track down the individual. Better yet, make a police report so that way the police can request for all that information and for sure your boat will be found quickly. I am assuming that the individual is in panic mode and will probably try to dump it someplace of even destroy it. So, act on it quickly.

#2 Wed, 11/18/2009 - 9:18am

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll file that police report immediately and see if anything more can come out of it. Much Mahalos for the continued support!

#3 Wed, 11/18/2009 - 10:11am

And maybe put and add up on Craigs list stating you just want the canoe back ... no questions asked ...

Give the guy a chance to do the pono thing and feel good about it.

aloha,
pog

#4 Wed, 11/18/2009 - 10:37am

I like that last suggestion, don't assume he is a crook, if he found it at sea he may have salvage rights?
Put a small reward on the site for the return of the canoe.

But you should ring the police and ask them to track him down for you.

#5 Wed, 11/18/2009 - 11:04am

Thats a great point. By maritime laws, if you abandon a vessel, the person who "salvages" it owns it. I wouldn't get the police involved until you've exhausted all other options. If you get in a legal fight, you could well end up on the losing end.

#6 Wed, 11/18/2009 - 1:02pm

is this the craiglist add in question?

"Aloha!

Used OC-1 for sale. There has been some repairs on the bottom. This has been a great canoe for me and it should be for you as well. I bought it from a friend and its been kept in Lanikai since. Some minor dings. I am asking 1350 or best offer. This is a Hurricane and it is purple with a white bottom. I don't use it much so its time to sell it.

Feel free to contact me anytime to view and test run if you like. I will email you some pics if you like. Thanks for looking and I look forward to hearing from you."

if so, i sent a request for pictures and this was the response i got. so there's one way to find out if it's the boat you lost.

"I do but I have them at home. I am meeting today in Lanikai if you want to come check it out. I will be on the corner next to the beach access where Lanikai park is. Take a left at Lanikai park and ( will be at the end of the street on the right. Feel free to call if you like. I will be there at 5:30pm"

although i doubt this is your boat since it was originally posted for sale on the 14th and the day your boat was lost was the 15th...

#7 Wed, 11/18/2009 - 1:28pm

Dont maritime laws start at 1 or 2 miles out? I know the fire dept and police are only allowed to go that far out. After that its the coast guuards responsibility. So if the boat was lost at sea and was near the coast I believe its still under "normal" jurisdiction. Not sure but I think E7M would probly know.

#8 Wed, 11/18/2009 - 1:44pm

Dont call the police??? Are you crazy??? First of all, the canoe was not abandon!! ponialoha13 had posted a lost canoe off of Hawaii Kai and seeking help on the whereabouts. Paddler and canoe got separated from each other. Abandon means to leave with no regard for care or concern. Did canoe have AC ( abandon canoe ) taped to it?? Probably not.

lahoku writes that when he/she had made the phone call to inquire about canoe.... it seemed the seller did not know much about the canoe let alone not have pictures available to view.. And now seller is no longer answering phone calls. Suspicious????

legal fight and losing in the end????? There is enough information here on OCP forum to show that the canoe was not abandon and ponialoha13 has been making the effort to locate it.

In lost and found items, there is a procedure in place before anyone can claim anything that he/she found is now theirs. Usually a report is made to police. Then after 24 - 48 hour grace period takes place and if no one comes forward with claim then the item goes to the individual who found it.

Here is the weird thing, I went on to craigslist to view what lahoku had seen and it was there this morning ( I think in sporting section ). Went to check on it again this afternoon and it is not there anymore.

Keep pressing on ponialoha13 and lahoku

#9 Wed, 11/18/2009 - 1:49pm

I didn't say I wouldn't call the police, but I'd try another approach first. And the key word for a legal case is proof. If the poster believes that is the canoe that she lost, I'd call them and leave a message saying I lost my canoe and am offering $100 or $200 reward, no questions asked.

This is a very different case than someone grabbing an OC1 from your house or off your car. You go through the police and the burden of proof is on YOU. You offer the person $100 "reward" and you get your boat back and avoid a whole bunch of hassle.

#10 Wed, 11/18/2009 - 2:07pm

lahoku,

I would disregard the "legal" advice being offered by LSLBlues as it is completely incorrect. You did not abandon your canoe under maritime law and whoever finds it does not own it or have the right to sell it.

#11 Wed, 11/18/2009 - 3:03pm

Mahalo to all of you for your comments and input. We'll cross our fingers...Aloha!

#12 Wed, 11/18/2009 - 5:01pm

First and foremost, thank goodness ponialoha13 is OK.

Last, but not least, LSLBlues' comments could not be further from the truth, thus, placing him/her high on the list of douchebags on ocpaddler.com .

When in doubt, call the police. Period.

#13 Wed, 11/18/2009 - 6:22pm

Believe it or not the coppers are your friend and will do everything to help you out regardless of the circumstances, this is the case in all countries!!!!!!
It doesn't mean you will be dragged into a court action you didn't want, you can still make that decision yourself if and when the time comes.
But before everyone goes on a witch hunt make sure its the same canoe!

#14 Wed, 11/18/2009 - 7:59pm

Calling the police and court action are 2 different things. You can call the police in the hopes of getting your boat tracked down. If they find it, you get it back, after some minor BS. If you choose to press charges then you are stepping into the arena of legal action, which I think is what LSLBlues was referring to. I just hope the boat gets returned unharmed. As long as that happens then the only permanent damage here is that LSL has been branded a douchebag on OCP by someone and I dont think that can be overcome, with or without legal action.

#15 Wed, 11/18/2009 - 8:07pm

jpi92109, don't sell yourself short, you are on that list as well.

#16 Thu, 11/19/2009 - 11:13am

Listen, call the police, have a report taken. When and if the boat is found, you will get it back. There will be an investigation into what evidence there is to determine if it is found property or some kind of theft. Let the police handle it. There is no BS involved and you WILL get the boat back.

#17 Thu, 11/19/2009 - 3:36pm

Concur with "mobettatnu", make a police report, retain report number, and let them follow-up. If the person shows intent to make alterations to the canoe and pursues sale, thats felony theft (theft II) based on approximate cost of canoe. In regards to salvage rights of abandon vessels, State Of Hawaii maritime jurisdiction is three miles out from shoreline, thus State laws apply. The only time the anonymous would take ownership of the canoe if they turned it over to police, made a Lost Property report, and if not retrieved by owner after 45 days (I'm pretty sure, been awhile) than the person who found it takes ownership.

Carlton

#18 Thu, 11/19/2009 - 8:41pm

Good point Bamskii.

Chronics beware!

Even having unauthorized possession of a canoe (and even some paddles worth in excess of $300) makes for a likely possibility that you might be headed for some unauthorized probing of your `okole while doing time at Halawa on a felony theft.

#19 Thu, 11/19/2009 - 10:31pm

Well I hoped all the time I spend on here was accomplishing something!

#20 Fri, 11/20/2009 - 4:16am

All this drama about the "lost" canoe. Can we hear the background story about how the canoe was "lost" in the first place? Had plenty wind Sunday. Was it equipment failure or a paddler who overestimated their abilities/skills and shouldn't have been out there? Were any safety precautions taken? Saw and heard a few paddlers coming in at Kaimana with broken equipment on Monday, and saw the Fire Dept. with their jetski at Maunalua right before sunset on Monday. We're all discussing the law about how to get the boat back. Considering the conditions, what about safety to prevent losing your boat and having to post on OCPaddler?

#21 Fri, 11/20/2009 - 6:14am

Let's not hijack this thread. All we need know is that the paddler is safe and is trying to "find" her boat. Start a new thread regarding safety and tips for novice paddlers and for those who paddle with novice paddlers. Fire Rescue was busy sunday, monday, AND tuesday rescuing paddlers. The past days, while super fun for me, were not days for novices...

#22 Fri, 11/20/2009 - 7:55am

Just checked, the ad is back up w/phone # included, good luck I hope you find your canoe.

Used OC-1 for sale! - $1350 (Kailua)

Date: 2009-11-16, 1:48PM HST
Reply to: sale-pwyhm-1469119718@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Aloha!

Used OC-1 for sale. There has been some repairs on the bottom. This has been a great canoe for me and it should be for you as well. I bought it from a friend and its been kept in Lanikai since. Some minor dings. I am asking 1350 or best offer. This is a Hurricane and it is purple with a white bottom. I don't use it much so its time to sell it.

Feel free to contact me anytime to view and test run if you like. I will email you some pics if you like. Thanks for looking and I look forward to hearing from you.

590-7236

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1469119718

#23 Fri, 11/20/2009 - 9:22am

possession is 9/10 of the law, I loaned a green pegasus to a So Cal paddler 1 year ago, He broke the ama and said he would buy the canoe, He has never paid and refuses to get the boat back to me. If I try and get it back without permission I can get thrown in jail for theft. Now I have to take this guy to court to get my own property back. Because I have documentation of the canoe, and the threatening emails he has sent me when I do get him in court he can face grand theft charges because the value is over 500.00.
My suggestion is to get al the documentation you can, ie pictures, receipt.

#24 Fri, 11/20/2009 - 10:52am

Is there a way to put a small container with identification inside the iako? I'm thinking of the kind of things that cyclists use to stick in a handlebar end or seattube. The thief won't even know it's there and it makes proof of ownership very simple.

#25 Sat, 11/21/2009 - 2:44am

Or, along those same lines...a serial number etched into the canoe. This way if you attempt to purchase a "used" canoe w/ the serial number scratched off..or tampered with..you know something's fishy.

#26 Sat, 11/21/2009 - 2:53am

canoes with custom cloth prints have a finger print built right in, It would be nearly impossible to duplicate a cloth pattern, If you have a custom cloth print take a picture of the pattern where it meets the paint,
The Stingray's and Stingray 2's built by current designs in Canada had serial numbers stamped into the boat,, It was just below the seam near the tail,
This would be a good practice for the boat builders to do, It allows the builder to know exactly when the boat was built as well as when it was sold as long as the retailer notes the sale date, which he should.
Ask your builder to put serial numbers on the boats the build.

#27 Sat, 11/21/2009 - 4:57am

You can repossess something that belongs to you as long as the act of repossession doesn't cause of breach of the peace.

Taking back your property from unsecured driveways, open carports, parking lots at work and city streets is generally allowed.

Someone doing repossession may not:

• Enter a closed or locked garage, or otherwise break and enter onto property.
• Enter into the possessor's home, unless invited by the possessor.
• Damage the vehicle during the repossession or attempts at repossession.
• Threaten the possessor or commit violence.
• Touch anyone, force the possessor off the boat.
• Threaten the possessor with arrest.
• Claim the repossession agent is a police officer or has "special government authority."
• Force the possessor to pull over to the side of the road.
• Have law enforcement personnel present unless the creditor has already sued the possessor.

The above items are "breach of the peace."

That's the good part.

The bad part.

The surest ways to show the property is yours is to have a bill of sale describing the boat and describing the boat. Of course there may be several dozen blue and gray Fuze OC-1's out there.

Most commercially sold boats have an ID number on them somewhere. I represented a marina a while back and everything they sold had a number, but those were honest to goodness boats that feel compelled to meet Coast Guard and Federal requirements.

My Fuze has no number anywhere. I couldn't believe the boat has no "VIN" number anywhere. How do they keep track of boats at the factory? I have kayaks and each of those has a number. What is with OC-1's?

Better have a photo showing the neat decalls you put on it or the ding you put in it on the rear starboard quarter or that velcro patches you put just in front of the footwells.

Me I have my name and number Sharpy-ed on the bottom of the foam seat and of course lots of dings and decals on my poor boat.

Or you could engrave your name and number on the boat somewhere that is not easily covered over.

#28 Sat, 11/21/2009 - 6:44pm

Recent Outrigger Connection shipments from their factory have a serial number stamped in the seatwell and below the seamline at the tail in compliance to Coast Guard requirements. All their OC-4/OC-6 have already been serialized as well either at the front and or the back wall of the hull.

You can always engrave your aluminum iakos with your name.

Take pictures or video of your canoe with all the stickers, dings, scratches that you put on it. That way you have some proof of ownership.

You could also make your own label to stick, tape or even clear epoxy over it to keep it on with your name.

#29 Sun, 11/22/2009 - 12:05am

#30 Tue, 11/24/2009 - 8:02pm

By the way, that listing is on Kauai. Déjà vu anyone?

#31 Tue, 11/24/2009 - 3:33pm

Whomever lost the canoe needs to go try look at the canoe in Lanikai or have a friend go and meet the guy and check it out. It may not be your canoe - there were a lot of purple/white hurricanes made, but instead of these accusations, somebody needs to check it out. If it is yours, call the cops and file a report.
As for the canoe found on Kauai, an Oahu lost boat floated to Kauai a few years ago, so contact the person who was gracious enough to post the listing on Craigslist - it was still posted a few minutes ago as was the post about the Hurricane in Lanikai.
The other possibility is your boat is still floating in the Pacific on its way to the Philippines or wherever. We all hope it turns up, but it may not.

#32 Tue, 11/24/2009 - 7:43pm

in addition to serial numbers or identifiable marks in the event of theft, Your name address and phone number would also be a good idea. This allows someone that may find your boat the ability to contact you, In addition piggybacking on the safety thread, lets say you do fall off your boat and swim to shore, and someone finds your boat, They can be sure your OK and not lost at sea, Many states have implemented laws that allow search and rescue teams to collect costs from the individual. I believe Hawaii is one of those states.

#33 Wed, 11/25/2009 - 6:54am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.359 seconds.