right side ama

does anybody still make OC's withthe ama on the rightr side?

Submitted by roninspaddle on Tue, 09/22/2009 - 8:29am

You must be talking OC1s. correct? I haven't seen any recently built ones that could be rigged on the right. We have an old traditional, I believe it is a Montgomery, that you could simply flip the iakos, but I haven't seen anything more current than that.

But if you mean OC6s, we have both Bradleys & a Mirage, and as I think thru the rigging process, it seems to me they could both be rigged on the right just by flipping the iakos . . . .

#1 Thu, 09/24/2009 - 12:23pm

There was some discussion a while back regarding right side ama's and surfing. If I knew how to work the search function any better on this site I'd link it for you =( . I think that conversation particularly reflectied on OC-4's. Personally, I haven't tried it yet or ridden in a canoe with a right side rig. Maybe a steersman will chime in.

#2 Thu, 09/24/2009 - 12:47pm

http://www.ocpaddler.com/node/901

Haven't tried paddling a right side rigged OC-1 to see how it is, but it would probably feel different.

I see some people rig their John Martin Nai'a on the right side as the iako ports go completely through and can be rigged either way.

Other OC-1's that I've seen that look like they could be rigged on the right side, Waveblade, Original Vantage, and Tiger Canoes Makia.

#3 Thu, 09/24/2009 - 1:50pm

I accidently rigged my sea-lion OC-1 (I guess it should probably be considered a V-1?) with the ama on the right. By the time I realized what i'd done, I was already done rigging it and too lazy to undo it. So I took it out on the water and it was shockingly difficult to paddle.

I don't think it would be worth it on an OC-1 to take the time to get used to it...

#4 Thu, 09/24/2009 - 8:57pm

Mahalo for the link E7M!

#5 Thu, 09/24/2009 - 10:45pm

Not any more. Perhaps a V-1 with traditional set up might do the trick?

#6 Thu, 09/24/2009 - 11:30pm

One time, we rigged a koa oc6 on the right for a photo shoot. We decided to paddle it back to the clubsite afterwards. The funny was that when the ama lifted we still reacted to the left side (Pavlov conditioning).
We got wet a lot.

#7 Fri, 09/25/2009 - 12:13am

Veggies, that's right, you'll always think ama on the left - always. That's why ama always on the left - even on kona day with ama popping. More easy for add weight to ama then risk switching to right.

#8 Fri, 09/25/2009 - 2:34am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.206 seconds.