Safety

Some senior paddlers urged to bring up the safety topic here on the forum; they are afraid that someone may get hurt and/or that the coast guards will regulate the sport.
"Whatever you do not control yourself, others will control for you"

Stronger currents, bigger waves, stronger winds and colder water during the winter time make paddling more hazardous.
It was also felt, that safety measures during the races may not always be sufficient.

The safety concern is shared by the boat builders: they are surprised into what type of conditions some paddlers take their boats.

The boats remain very fragile, any damage to the hull may cause a boat to sink within a very short time. the water gets sucked into the hull due to the pressure difference.
It is always possible that composite layups fail; they are not built to withstand the power of waves, only to float on top of them.

Submitted by eckhart diestel on Sun, 11/22/2009 - 8:57am

What are some things you do for safety. I try to have a rubber on my boats ama and I take my iPhone with me. It works out here in Hawaii in the water. But that is about it. I got a leash and a paddle too. Other then that I pray and hope God will take care.

#1 Mon, 11/23/2009 - 12:30am

That's a pretty good list and I would add to let someone know where you are going or better yet don't go by yourself. "Rubber on the ama" however is a radical concept for safe contraception. :-)

#2 Mon, 11/23/2009 - 7:47am

A comment regarding the canoe builders. I would think they should take the lead on perhaps coming up with a minimium weight classification to help the quality of boats. I realize it's not just the weight that makes a boat "fragile", but with the current push to develop lighter and lighter canoes, I think safety should be worked into this. Not too mention it may help keep the costs down. Look at rowing with their exotic layups using honeycomb materials and squeezing every once out of the boats. I've seen 50K hulls thrown away for some pretty basic damage, but because of the layup, cannot be repaired. As builders experiment with different layups, you would think that the key element would be strength rather than lightness.

Regarding safety, one of the best things to do is to have a "float plan". Basically let somebody know where and when you are paddling. A quick phone call after the run let's your "buddy" know that you made it back.
Carrying a flare is a good idea also, even wearing bright clothing or having an orange paddle tip helps while being on the water. Not only in case you get in trouble, but to increase your visiblity on the water to other boaters...fisherman, etc..

#3 Mon, 11/23/2009 - 8:40am

wear a leash

#4 Mon, 11/23/2009 - 9:55am

Safety is always a serious issue and having rescued and also rescued, the safety of the rescuers is a concern for me, for I don't like the idea of a rescuer risking their life to save mine if I could avoid it by implementing recommended safety measures. There was a time when races were held without safety reguirements other than your boat be "seaworthy." However, the paddlers that ran the races decided to take the pro-active approach and came up with a half dozen or so safety options. Choosing one of them was a requirement for racing. That's why we wear a leash or pfd when we race.

The durability of the canoe is determined at the time you place your order and what you specify is what you get. Most of the Hawaii canoe makers have tested out their canoes in the best (roughest) conditions and many or their canoes are still holding up pretty well after many years of use. With today's modern manufactuing techniques, weight and the safety of the boat are not the issue - just cost.

ps: where is that video of onnopaddle banging away at a composite hull with a sledge hammer?

#5 Mon, 11/23/2009 - 10:49am

I have posted on the safety issue before, but like many have said Safety is being responsible and ensuring you are prepared to get yourself out of trouble. Paddle with a group, paddle within your limits and think about what COULD go wrong and go over how you may get yourself out of trouble. That said, safety equipment is easy and cheap these days, if I do a HK or Makapu run solo I wear a fanny pack with VHF radio, flare and signal mirror. All are small, waterproof and can get help if you are in over your head. Also like said before, let someone know when you are leaving and when you plan to return, then call when you are done. Trust me the rescuers would rather get the call when you are in trouble than when you come up missing and they have to search for days. A cell phone is good but water is tough on them, a submergable VHF is around $100.00 and can get the Coast Guard or Lifeguards in a instant. Even just to let them know you are swimming it in and doing ok. at least they know where you are. I have done dozens of those 3 day searches for a missing swimmer or kayaker and it is draining!! Best to get the communications line open !! Then help yourself or your paddling buddy back to the beach!!
On the lifejacket issue, it is touchy, the Law says they are required but know one will push it until there are a string of incidents so lets keep safe out there. Did i mention Leash, leash, leash, your boat will float, How long will you!! I just retired and want to stay that way!!
Paddle safe, paddle hard

Ted out!

#6 Mon, 11/23/2009 - 2:07pm

I'm really disappointed no one has made a "safety talk" joke yet, but I guess white water isn't as popular out in Hawai'i…

#7 Tue, 11/24/2009 - 3:43pm

Check out Goto's orange paddle. It is better then a flare. I have a yellow/orange canoe......will stand out in the water. I do not understand going with the stealth grey canoes.... or blue or even white....hard to be seen from CG helicopter. If I had to swim or stick with the canoe....I would probably stick with the boat.....of course depending on distance from shore. Hawaii- 80 degree water....can survive without worrying about hypothermia. George Bush Sr. was out on the open ocean for a long time bobbing around before they picked him up after his plane crashed. Warm water has its advantages.

#8 Tue, 11/24/2009 - 5:13pm

My two cents on training.

Up here where cold is a consideration, local law requires you WEAR a lifejacket this time of year. This is not a bad law.

If you have any sense, the rubber you wear is neoprene...all over when the air temperature is 45 degrees F or lower. This gives you a greater margin for error. Hypothermia is the first enemy.

Cellphones are dandy, but someone's got to find you and that takes time. Really a marine VHF is better. You'll be talking to someone with a boat or near a boat.

You really ought to go out with someone else and keep together. The odds of you both screwing up is somewhat less, but I've noticed paddlers like to associate with folks of comparable IQ level.

Plan your course to hug the shore. This isn't the time to get daring. An eight mile workout hugging the shore is almost as good as an eight mile course out of sight of land.

File a float plan with someone responsible or someone who cares. If you don't come back at the planned time, someone knows you are missing.

#9 Wed, 11/25/2009 - 4:02am

poidog, you been reading "Flyboys" ? Bush senior was picked up by a U.S. submarine after his plane was shot out from under him.

#10 Wed, 11/25/2009 - 4:43am

I grew up paddling in Hawaii where we pay little mind to PFDs, but now that I paddle here in Seattle I've come to realize the importance of wearing a PFD while paddling, especially in cold winter water. Remember Rambo's Cold water boot camp video? There's just no arguing w/ those numbers. Oh yeah, nice condescending remarks, Yankee! You're a genuine elitist prick!

#11 Wed, 11/25/2009 - 8:45am

Folks who get themselves in a bind are often just hanging out with other folks similarly disposed. Our recreational buddies tend to be just like us.

Not sure that's elitist. Want me to tell the story about how I broke a kayak in half in a storm? Not my finest moment.

#12 Wed, 11/25/2009 - 9:24am

Alrighty then! My bad. The insinuation that paddlers are stupid and hang w/ other stupid people is in no way elitist. Let's hear that story...

#13 Wed, 11/25/2009 - 10:05am

I’ve noticed paddlers like to associate with folks of comparable IQ level.I’ve noticed paddlers like to associate with folks of comparable IQ level.

Personaly having problems to find people as dumb as I am...

#14 Wed, 11/25/2009 - 7:11pm

Talk about being a lolo, well that's me, for that's the way I feel every time I break my paddle and I don't have a spare on board, when I'm way off shore. Carry a spare paddle all the time because you never know when you going need it.

#15 Wed, 11/25/2009 - 7:41pm

everyone should add something to their list of survival gear: 1 long sleeve capeline shirt.

since the winds were light today, i figured i'd try something new. i was paddling for a hour so i just went straight out from Magic Island for 30 minutes. at my slow to snail pace, i think that took me just around 3 miles off shore. right when i turned around, i hit some small little chop that popped my ama, no biggie, used my paddle to brace, then CRACK. no paddle. 3 miles off shore... luckily my paddle cracked at an angle and i had a long sleeve shirt. i bailed my boat out, picked up all the stuff that spilled out of my cockpit, then ripped of a sleeve to tie my two paddles back into one.

lesson learned? don't use a home made POS paddle when by yourself. damn that would have been a friggen long ass paddle home by hand.

#16 Wed, 12/02/2009 - 8:37pm

Last week, the one time I forgot to bring my spare paddle tied to my rear iako and I end up snapping my paddle shaft in two. Only good thing was it was at the end of my session while catching waves which is only about a quarter mile from where I come in at. Still no fun paddling in with only half a paddle.

#17 Wed, 12/02/2009 - 9:51pm

Photobucket

#18 Thu, 12/03/2009 - 6:54am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.206 seconds.