scorp or zephyr

DONT HAVE MONEY FOR A PUEO. SO IM THINKIN SCORP OR ZEPHYR FOR NOW.. IM 6' 190... CAN I GET SOME FEEDBACK/ WHAT U THINK... MAHALO

Submitted by kawaikapu on Tue, 11/24/2009 - 9:17pm

Scorp, Scorp, Scorp. They are both really good in open ocean but the Scorpius will more than likely be a better boat for you in everything else. I know nobody ever suggests it but you might try a test paddle on both.

#1 Tue, 11/24/2009 - 9:23pm

Wanna try a Ma'a afi , nice glider and great in the ocean surf. Ask Kaihe Chong. Send me a line , we'll hook you up.
Water cures all,"Big Boys Kick and Glide"

#2 Tue, 11/24/2009 - 9:42pm

Just a question for Zepher owners, one female paddler at our club has just picked up her new Zepher and has found paddling on the flat that the seat well area fills up with water, is the well set that low? Anyone else have this problem with a wet ride, should she put a bung in the drain for training on the flat?

#3 Tue, 12/01/2009 - 11:05am

How full are we talking? I'd say that my heels are usually wet, but I've never felt like my feet are sitting in a constant pool.

#4 Tue, 12/01/2009 - 11:29am

I paddled a Zephyr once...it's definitely the hardest boat ever to paddle in flats...but it seemed like it would be awesome in the big stuff.

#5 Tue, 12/01/2009 - 11:30am

No Question, Scorp...Scorp XM for your size.

JawsOut.

#6 Wed, 12/02/2009 - 10:31am

Checked out the Zepher last night, the seat is recessed very low isn't it, not having even laid eyes on my new XM yet I am guessing the Scorpious seat is just as low. Nice big drain holes in the Zepher, it will be easy to fit a couple of small bungs to keep it dry in winter on the river.
Looking from the bank it seems to glide OK on the flat with each end sitting well out of the water so the rocker is not affecting hull speed too much, just overall length in the water. It certainly looks like it would be a rocket in a big swell.

#7 Wed, 12/02/2009 - 11:01am

I have not noticed significant water with any flat paddles, Some side chop that gets in usually sits in around the seat. I formed my own seat for my Zephyr andkept it tight to the sides. It lets less in so not a big deal. At least the seat is comfy for hrs on the water. When I train flats in it I sit forward about 4 inches with more knee flexion and consistently get it running about a 1km/hr faster than legs extended back where I sit for distance. Just a personal observation.

#8 Tue, 12/08/2009 - 12:18pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.194 seconds.