Team Hawaii

What was Walter's three-part tryout process?

Submitted by fakarava on Thu, 11/05/2009 - 8:33pm

what do you mean??

#1 Fri, 11/06/2009 - 7:59am

anykine~
Walter Guild is the coach for Team Hawaii that went to compete in Tahiti.

He had a tryout for the athletes to determine who would be selected to make team.

#2 Fri, 11/06/2009 - 10:53am

Got that Kamamakakaua. Was Fakarava looking for;
1. Attendance?
2. Comittment?
3. Blend?
4. Time trials?
5. Height requirement?
6. Weight?

as part of the process???

What would be really good to see as a " Team Hawai'i " is guys who paddled for several long months together and not just several weeks. Not knocking those who went to represent Hawai'i, but the 8 paddlers that went to Tahiti all did not paddle with each other on a daily bases. I believe that 2 of the 8 were not even part of the" team primo " that finished 2nd in the Moloka'i Hoe. They are from different clubs/island and probably have been doing a different stroke.

Walter is a great guy and knows his x and o of paddling, but putting a team together after Moloka'i Hoe does not really give enough time to show case Walter's coaching talents that he can bring form the talents that he is working with.

Hawaiki Nui is the real deal and paying attention to little details can speak alot. It just hurts to see ( have not heard the full story for day 2 and 3 ) that Hawaii is not able to compete, BUT in actuality, WE CAN!!

We just need to put these guys together sooner and not later. Make sense???

We constantly talk about the NO funding and NO support from our state. Who needs funding to practice together?? Funding is to travel out of state. Not for practice.

We seem to shoot ourselfs in the foot and blame the state for our failure as paddlers.

Sorry for the rambling

#3 Fri, 11/06/2009 - 12:36pm

I'm suggesting, that long range planning/training that is specific, financially secure and non political in Hawaii will raise the bar. Seriously, do the math, while all this is going on in Tahiti, the Dolan Bros. are in Pinky's canal with Stuart Gaessner and Aaron Creps killing each other. Yeah the Olympics is the "Olympics", but what is Hawaii's goal in paddleing?

#4 Fri, 11/06/2009 - 7:35pm

My God!!! KGB, you mean the "Animal" is dicing it up with the kids in the Kawainui Swamp? That's terrific, for he's almost as old as you? Anyways, cuz, mahalos for another beauty of a gem post on "raising the bar." I still say though, that a team of 300 lb.+ bench pressing high school football paddlers is all that is needed to get Hawaii back up to speed. Throw them in the canoe with Tommy as their coach and watch them fly..........

#5 Fri, 11/06/2009 - 11:55pm

Kalaheo 08

#6 Sun, 11/08/2009 - 1:45pm

I agree 1000% that team Hawaii lacks the TEAM in the true sense of the word. Need to be together much longer than two weeks, with 2 practices prior to the two weeks.

Here's what I would suggest....if can get a sponsor/corporation/sugar daddy to come up with the $$$, just say that the top Hawaii finisher for Molokai Hoe will get their expenses paid to Hawaiki Nui to represent Hawaii. That would motivate the clubs to pump it up for the season, make Molokai Hoe exciting, and it would bring the word TEAM, back to the name...Team Hawaii.

JawsOut.

#7 Mon, 11/09/2009 - 9:41am

I believe that the Shell coach or some Tahiti rep. reward PRIMO a free travel for 9 to Tahiti to compete there in the upcoming June or July for being the first Hawaii team across the line this past Molokai Hoe.

#8 Mon, 11/09/2009 - 2:32pm

Yep, you're right. Now, we need someone from Hawaii to do the same for a Hawaii rep to Hawaiki Nui.

JawsOut.

#9 Mon, 11/09/2009 - 3:18pm

top hawaii crew in molokai racing hawaiki nui... isn't that what just happened? not sure how the finances worked out, but if all expenses were paid, would their performance have been better? i agree that sending as many top paddlers to compete against the tahitians would be good for paddling.

#10 Mon, 11/09/2009 - 5:17pm

So what was the criteria for picking the crew?

#11 Wed, 11/11/2009 - 4:29pm

I think Hawaii should sponsor some of those other Tahitian teams to get over to the Hoe so it would be a real contest. Maybe the top five. . Would sure stir us out of our complaceny. We could have Tahitians coming in across the finish line one after another. The Tahitians showed a lot of aloha bringing our boys over there. They wanted their event to be inclusive. i have not heard any feedback but I bet the Hawaii guys were treated with respect and hospitality.

#12 Wed, 11/11/2009 - 5:11pm

High school football players? Are you serious?

#13 Thu, 11/12/2009 - 7:00am

#14 Sat, 12/05/2009 - 10:02pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.378 seconds.