Team Hawaii

Now that the 2009 Hawaiki Nui Va'a is over, I was wondering about the makeup of Team Hawaii. Does anyone know the rationale behind taking eight paddlers to Tahiti (vs. 12, 13, or 14)? Although the final day's results have yet to be posted, it appears that Team Hawaii's finishes declined each day. The first day they did well, but then they started to slide back into the pack. From a distant observation, this would perhaps indicate fatigue but there might have been other factors as well. It seems like a strategic oversight to not paddle with a fresh crew each day (e.g. crew of six on the first day, completely different group of six on the second day, crew from first day paddling on the third day with possible replacements due to illness/injury). Logistical factors, such as financial support or paddler availability might have been factors in taking only eight, but I'm wondering if there was an underlying rationale.

Submitted by jerryguy on Sat, 11/07/2009 - 9:59am

team opt have only 6 paddler for all the 3 day.SHELL had change only 1 men for the last day Same for the orther team.For hawaiiki nui you need only 6 or 8 paddler no more.ALL the hawaiiki nui shell,opt, edt,matairea,paddling connection,and more team had only 6 paddler for 3 day.It's the first time on hawaiiki nui SHELL change 1 paddler.Last hawaiiki nui TEAM HAWAII change all the day her guys.And this day only 8 paddler, they see now it so hard .Second in moloka'i and 13eme in hawaiiki nui.HAWAIIKI NUI is the race very hard of the world.

#1 Sat, 11/07/2009 - 12:33pm

I have to apologise to Team Hawaii. On the last day, at the start, our bow hit your stern... my steerer was a bit nervous. I hope you don't think we did it on purpose, because you looked quite upset.
13th overall. congratulations.

#2 Sun, 11/08/2009 - 11:54am

Hiro, didn't Team Hawaii have to make repairs to the Va'a last year after a collision? Could be why they were a bit apprehensive. Or was it the year before?

Cheers Rambo

#3 Mon, 11/09/2009 - 10:09am

Hiro sounds like your collision was pretty minor but nonetheless does that make 3 or 4 years in a row Hawaii has been tagged?

#4 Mon, 11/09/2009 - 10:18am

It was minor but if i was them I would be nervous, Matairea Hoe was on their left and we were on their right with a big "HUAHINE" writen on our canoe...
We had our ama broken on the start line the first day, a 40cm crack along the seam line. The start looks like mayhem ! We all know that the FTV doesn't give sanctions to those who don't respect the starting line, so we are all nervous. Noone wants to be the only one who respect the rules and start 200m behind all the others...

#5 Mon, 11/09/2009 - 10:46pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.182 seconds.