Team Primo

I know I'm late on this but, who makes up team Primo?

Submitted by truckstop13 on Sun, 09/13/2009 - 7:34am

Paddlers who are willing to drink Primo.

#1 Sun, 09/13/2009 - 7:10pm

no wonder there are only 12 guys. have you tasted that stuff? phew...

#2 Sun, 09/13/2009 - 7:34pm

TEAM DUFF:
Carl, Lenny, Barney, Moe, Homer, Smithers, Troy McClure, "Bleeding Gums" Murphy, and Principal Skinner

(Alternates: Duff Man, Sideshow Bob, and McBane)

#3 Mon, 09/14/2009 - 8:45am

Is Primo really that bad? Dad sure seemed to like it back in the day.

#4 Mon, 09/14/2009 - 6:39pm

you'll have to ask other people, my only experience with it is buying as a special deal after a race for 5 or 8 bucks a pitcher. me and a buddy each poured one beer off of that pitcher. even in our post race thirst we didn't finish the glasses we poured or the pitcher. i know you're all thinking that's a sin, but i just couldn't take it. followed that with a newcastle pitcher and was much much happier.

the paddlers on team primo are damn good though, so perhaps i got a skunky batch or something.

#5 Mon, 09/14/2009 - 6:50pm

I think the clothes are more popular than the beer.

#6 Mon, 09/14/2009 - 7:34pm

Truckstop.

As you can tell from the responses to your question, the people who responded did not really understand the question.
Maybe you should rephrase your question in language that they can understand.

#7 Mon, 09/14/2009 - 9:27pm

Thanks Tom. I was a bit reluctant to admit that I was having a hard time understanding Truckstops language. I dunno, maybe its time for a Rosetta Stone CD?

#8 Tue, 09/15/2009 - 7:32am

whoever they are, for sure they are men who are in their primo.

#9 Tue, 09/15/2009 - 11:06am

As best I can tell....Kai, Judd, Ching, Cramer, Kubo, Konohia, Van Geason, MP, Feli, Mael....don't know the rest. Someone can fill in the blanks. TC, you could have responded properly instead of being sarcastic. People just having fun on this DEAD BOARD. BTW, the new Primo is pretty good. You guys should try it, I liked it.

JawsOut.

#10 Tue, 09/15/2009 - 1:56pm

well to point out something, TC was no more help than the rest here on the thread.

I think I read a story that the downfall of the original Primo was that they weren't sterilizing their brewing tanks so there was like algae and mold in the beer which made it taste bad. I dunno what the problem is now.

#11 Tue, 09/15/2009 - 3:06pm

Apparently, Primo is owned by Pabst http://tastyisland.wordpress.com/2008/01/10/primo-beer-returns-to-the-is.... I wouldn't expect much from the beer, but the paddlers sound like they are pretty good. Maybe Pabst is cultivating the Hawai'ian Hipster deomgraphic?

#12 Tue, 09/15/2009 - 4:18pm

Some would say Pabst is the best of the cheepa beeas.

I would rather have it than Primo.

buuurp,
pog

#13 Tue, 09/15/2009 - 5:10pm

Will Reichenstein from SoCal raced with primo in Kona, I want to say Ikaika was the 12th guy but not completely sure on that.

#14 Tue, 09/15/2009 - 7:38pm

And we wonder why it is often hard to get sponsors with some of the negative comments about the sponsor here. Auwe!

#15 Tue, 09/15/2009 - 7:51pm

Sorry, I thought the common language on this site was English. In the future I'll try to be more thoughtful and post detailed cave drawings for those of you not able to to decipher the more difficult facets of communication like reading simple text.

Thank you Tommy, NB and Ratchet.

http://members.shaw.ca/scombs/letters/let_cave.jpeg

#16 Wed, 09/16/2009 - 7:24am

language? isn't that like, talking and stuff? this is the internets, i think ewe can only type on hear.

#17 Wed, 09/16/2009 - 10:31am

I guess I'm too far up on the evolutionary scale. I can comprehend english but not those cave drawings. I'll take a crack at it though:

The father is about to spank his 2 small children because the let the large pheasant type bird eat their fat mother.

#18 Wed, 09/16/2009 - 12:11pm

Glad to have you back poops

#19 Wed, 09/16/2009 - 1:01pm

I heard about a team that was sponsored by one beer, then did well in a race wearing the boardshorts of a different beer that was not their sponsor. The sponsor beer was not too happy...
http://pickledmangohawaii.blogspot.com/2007/09/brew-history-primo.html

#20 Wed, 09/16/2009 - 5:27pm

Eh! Pog, regarding Pabst, they use to brew Andeker, my favorite brew in the days before microbrews. Anyways, the next time I go Sam's Club, I'm picking up a case of Primo because Primo is supporting a team of Molokai paddlers. And I think that's terrific! So in the words of the "singing cop:" "P - R - I - M - O you drink I drink everybody drink , it's good old Primo, shangah langa langa oomm banga oohm bangah!" That's how the tune went before they banned beer commercials. Sorry KGB, but in those days no more Bud Light. Only get Primo or Lucky. Yeah, I know, you gremmie surfahs only drink the "Stubbie" Oly back then.

#21 Wed, 09/16/2009 - 6:31pm

Eh Koacanoe, Yup you are correct. No moa Bud Light back in da dark ages. Oly stubbies with 4 dots was the bomb. Stop and Shop in Kapahulu was the place for us under age kine to get um. One place to grind was Village Inn in Waialae. Ask Marshall Rosa's younger, moa handsome brother, John. The gravy and rice bowl was the ticket. Drinking under the Hau tree at the Rosa house in Kuliouou was the place to be. Major kine Kumu action. No moa Hawaii Kai back den. Kalanianaole Hwy. was only 2 lanes .Lunalilo Home Road was a dirt road heading mauka. I am so dating my self. Oh well, truth be told.

#22 Wed, 09/16/2009 - 7:51pm

OK. You guys win. It really doesn't matter who paddles for Team Primo. How about the jingles for Lucky Lager
Beer?

"Its the aged beer, Lucky Lager Beer. You'll like Lucky, the aged beer."
Or how about, the "It took time...time to build the (insert various monuments). It took time...time to build Lucky Lager Beer."

I never drank it...I was too young at the time, but I remember the jingles on TV. I also remember the older boys parties and I was tempted to drink the half full warm bottles of Primo that were left on the table until I noticed the cigarette butts in the bottle.

#23 Wed, 09/16/2009 - 9:13pm

from a marketing class we discussed the Hams beer jingle, clearly not very effective for me as I have forgotten but it worked for my old professor.

#24 Thu, 09/17/2009 - 1:03am

TC is becoming a member of the OCP Mafia.

#25 Thu, 09/17/2009 - 2:52am

Hey TC, glad to have you one board the OCP mafia. Its great having you cause you give us street cred. We're no longer a band of riffraff and vagabonds. The actual Tommy Connor is a member.

TC you have brought back many memories of parties with complete desperation to the point of drinking sandbagged warm Shlitz. I don't think I could ever do that again.

#26 Thu, 09/17/2009 - 8:08am

I don't remember the schlits, but a couple of mickeys back in the day and I wasnt remembering anyone. Maybe
they could sponser a Molokai crew. Anyone have a good sugestion on their team slogan. "we so smooth no Marta where we finish"

#27 Thu, 09/17/2009 - 8:38am

The puzzle caps on the Lucky were worth it alone ... Fun Memories too.

Anyone remember the bottoms of Carta Blanca bottles having molded, twist off cap 'wrenches' ?

If you have not tried it ... Have some Sierra Nevada "Torpedo" ale ... That should segue everything back to boats right ?

aloha,
pog

#28 Thu, 09/17/2009 - 9:18am

Two things this thread reminds me of;
The Oly jingle; "From the land of sky blue water....water..... "
There was a friendly bear sitting by a lake....and a fish jumping......
Also, me and my friends once stole a case of Primo left out for the garbage men ( yes, I know, a heinous crime that I have attoned for many times over). We hauled it up to our cave/clubhouse in the hills of Aina Haina and attempted to drink it warm. We were probably about 12 at the time so I don't think we got thru more than a six pack.
One more thing.....anyone remember the Richards brothers of Sandy Beach fame....Primo and Royal....named after their fathers favorite beers. Primo could rip on his paipo board. Drop knee barrels at Half Point.... the guy was way ahead of his time.

#29 Thu, 09/17/2009 - 11:03am

I'm with you, koacanoe. Anybody that supports local paddlers is getting my support. Plus, Primo happens to be really GOOD...and they have a bottle called a "Bombucha"! Go PRIMO!

#30 Thu, 09/17/2009 - 11:08am

Holy crap verylowtide, I used to work with Primo. He was an excellent cook when he was loaded. If he didn't drink his food wasn't so good, when he drank, it was onos! Yup the dad named his twins after the beer. I always thought Primo was lying but then I heard what his brothers name was and it was cool.

I really liked the guy, he could rip. He passed away several years back. Awesome to meet someone that know of his legend.

#31 Thu, 09/17/2009 - 11:17am

Sorry to hear that Primo died. Back in the day Primo ruled at Pipe Littles and Half Point. I learned something , as well, I didn't know Royal was his twin.

#32 Thu, 09/17/2009 - 12:08pm

F$@k'n A TC, welcome aboard. Hell yeah you bring us credibility.

I wanted to throw in my 10 cents worth....how many guys used to down Baby Millers? That was the bomb. Many memories of pounding baby Millers. Kona race in the early days, I remember at Hale Halawai the beer can pyramids. I think it was Oly tall aluminun cans. Drink, then stack on the table. Each table had their own stack and it turned into a building contest. I remember one year when the stack got so tall, they had to stand on chairs to keep the stack going. Good fun. That's one thing you don't see anymore, big wild end of race drinking parties. I guess the liability thing is so out of hand, sponsors stay away from that. Too bad....

JawsOut.

#33 Thu, 09/17/2009 - 12:18pm

Bummers!!!! I just come back from Sam's Club and they no carry Primo anymore. During the summer, they had uku pile cases stacked on the floor. Guess, I going try Costco? Or maybe ABC stores Waikiki? Anybody know where get, please let me know.

KGB, Four dots! Yeah! I remember that. You sure bring back a lot of memories. Kuliouou, I remember that good looking kumu Lani Moo use to live there? Eh! I went nearby Spaulding School where we drink Country Club in the parking lot. Then later transfer to Jackson College in Manoa where somebody rip off my Dave Sweet board from the suction cup surfracks on my car. In Kapahulu, no can beat Alec's Drive In for Peach Melba Sundae and W & M Drive In for 5 barbq hamburgers for dollar.

Tommy, I use to consume pitchers of Lucky Lager Draft at the defunct Charley's Tavern in Moiiliili. In those days, Skippy Dyer was the man. The Lucky Luck TV show on Sundays was partially sponsored by Lucky Lager, where it was consumed live along with Pao Duce from Kapahulu's Bill's Bakery.

Verylowtide, that was the Hamm's beer commercial jingle for the "land of sky blue waters" that toa moana was talking about. Pretty good animation in those days w/o computers, and I can still hear the drums and see the smoke clouds.

Now Pog, I thought you were a Brew 102 drinker?

#34 Thu, 09/17/2009 - 2:03pm

Koacanoe -
Last I saw, Safeway Kapahulu had some Primo in stock

#35 Thu, 09/17/2009 - 2:09pm

This is great I have stumbled across a tread that is all about Beer.

#36 Thu, 09/17/2009 - 2:10pm

So does this mean if we put Primo beer on at Hamo Cup you guy's will all come out to the race??

R

#37 Thu, 09/17/2009 - 2:28pm

Koa....thanks for the memory update. I remember the jingle just got the beer wrong.
kj mentioned Mickey's Big Mouth......I cringe when I remember that beer......wrecked my VW van up on Tantalus after a few too many of those.

#38 Thu, 09/17/2009 - 2:31pm

Rambo If you guys provide free beer at Hamo I will for sure come down to drink, I mean race...

#39 Thu, 09/17/2009 - 2:46pm

Verylowtide,
Speaking of Mickey's Big Mouths causing havoc. I almost drowned at Pounders trying to body surf at four in the morning after a night of pounding those wretched things. I think I would have had a better chance if I would've removed my hoodie and jeans. Nothing like taking on a drunk dare to impress a wahine.

#40 Thu, 09/17/2009 - 3:11pm

mickey's = danger for sure

i can't believe no one mentioned Old Milwaukee... "it doesn't get any better than this" think we had this video on OCP before.

#41 Thu, 09/17/2009 - 5:56pm

Thanks to you Kamamakakaua, I just bought a 6 pak of Primo for $7.99 (plus deposit) at Kapahulu Safeway. The 12 pak cost $18, so you save 2 bucks if you buy 2 six paks instead. I haven't tasted it yet, because I still get kids to pick up from after school activities and I no drink and drive. Will give my opinion later.

Anyway, on the carton, it says: "proceeds help to preserve the environment and culture of the islands." I appreciate that, and also read on the carton that: "to re-create a legendary Hawaiian beer like Primo, our award-winning brewmaster collaborated with a group of some of Hawai'i's top surfers and watermen. The result is a rich golden liquid with a unique flavor and aroma that comes from a touch of raw Hawai'ian cane sugar. Primo is the perfect brew for the lifestyle of the islands. We hope you enjoy Primo premium lager beer. Okole maluna!"

I wonder who the top surfers and watermen they collaborated with? Must be some of you ladies and gentlemen out there?

#42 Thu, 09/17/2009 - 7:18pm

It must have been ones that don't drink. I wouldve told them to just steal the heineken recipe.

#43 Thu, 09/17/2009 - 8:50pm

KOA CANOE.

I have to confess, I was the one who stole your surfboard at Jackson. Nahh. I lived in the house across the street from Jackson. Spent a lot of time in the big banyan tree. Too bad they had to cut it down. Before all the high rises in Waikiki I could walk up to the top of Awapuhi St. and see the waves breaking at Ala Moana and if there was lots of whitewater we would start looking for rides (too young to drive). I did have a few stolen boards. The first one I paid for was a Velzy shaped at their shop in Kakaako. I paid $119.00, a lot of money in those days.

#44 Fri, 09/18/2009 - 9:49am

Here we go, a walk down memory lane. Very special........................

#45 Fri, 09/18/2009 - 7:21pm

I think it is. Guys like Tommy, Nappy and others should commit their memories to writing. I would definitely buy their autobiographies. Fred Van Dyke wrote a couple books of that nature that I enjoyed immensely. The travesty is when such memories are dismissed as worthless, not that you're guilty of that, KGB. I realize that humility and not wanting to sound like some nostalgic old kodger would prevent some of these guys from relating their stories, but I'm sure that many of us would really appreciate it if they would.

#46 Sat, 09/19/2009 - 8:17am

Talking story, that's what its all about.

#47 Sat, 09/19/2009 - 11:25am

As a former Red Cross (Lucky Lager) beer drinker, I recommend the Blue Cross (Primo) beer because it is smooth, mellow and very fresh tasting. Go try it and at the same time support sponsor's that support paddlers. Sure it cost a little bit more, but worth it if they support paddlers.

Tommy: glad wasn't you who stole my board. But the only thing I miss more than my board, was my Take shorts (with the label sewn on the outside), which was taken at the same while hanging and drying on the car antenna.

KGB: you bet very special because remember all the aunties use to wear their Primo can hats very proudly? Now, no can even buy the Primo aloha shirts, they only sell t-shirts and Billabong board shorts. So please check with the aloha shirt authority who own the rights?

#48 Mon, 09/21/2009 - 12:30am

TC

#49 Mon, 09/21/2009 - 1:43am

Koacanoe! You are killing me! Take's with the label(s) on the outside. Good one. You know it brings back fond memories of my childhood in Waikiki. Names like Dynamite Kitamura, Sparky Schufele, the Ah Choys and Sonoda brothers, Inter Island surfboards glasser, Joe Kitchens. Do you remember Unique Lunchroom on Kalakaua? It was down past St. Agustines church. Killa Hawaiian food. As a child I thought their Pipikaula was the bomb.They had the real old style Coke machine, where the vertical bottle slid on a rack inside the cooler. You dropped your five cents in the slot, opened the cooler lid and slid your bottle out. Back then I was too small to hold the lid up, so Mom always lent a hand. I could spend the morning go on and on, but gotta go work. I'll check with dh on who's got the rights.

#50 Mon, 09/21/2009 - 7:03am

KGB: Yep! Those were the days of Waikiki Sands and all you can eat food. Downstairs, in the bowling alley building, you can play Fascination if you get age? But the old style Coke machine, sometimes you had to pull hard like you paddle because the bottle sometimes stuck. Us guys always eat meat loaf plate at Food Pantry in the Jungle days and go sober up late at night at Joes. But until Team Primo win, make sure the cooler in your pick-up always stay loaded with ice cold Primo. No worries, Charles will do his magic, and Team Primo will come in ahead of the paddlers from Hinano land.

#51 Mon, 09/21/2009 - 3:00pm

Didn't they serve Primo at the Termite Palace?

#52 Mon, 09/21/2009 - 3:51pm

Eh MikeA, You mean Honolulu Stadium? Maybe, during the Islanders era. Prior to that, I only went to the Stadium for football games. Doubt they sold it during then. But I do remember the manapua, boiled peanuts,etc. sold on South King St. and the Japanese guy selling "hot dog, peanut, coke" in the stands. We are going to get thrown off this site for all the nostalgia.

#53 Mon, 09/21/2009 - 4:35pm

One thing for sure, I've been buying more beer since reading this thread, so you guy's must be doing something right. Actually I'm flying over for the M Hoe so will get a chance to taste some Primo soon. (and my favourite ... Long Board larger)

Cheers Rambo

#54 Mon, 09/21/2009 - 7:42pm

I still have two pairs of Take's shorts from the days when I was a captain in HFD rescue. They are size 32 so they really don't fit anymore but they are pretty cool, red nylon with the HFD patch on the thigh.
In the summer of my 9th grade at Stevenson I had a job renting surfboards in front of the Moana. Bobby Minn gave me the job because he knew my grandfather. My mentors were Tsuki, Samoan Taylor, Mud, Leroy and Blackie. Thats where I learned how to steer, taking the beach canoes to Queen's at the end of the day. Our job was to paddle them from the Moana to Kuhio Beach where they were parked for the night but we always tried to sneak out to Queen's to catch one wave to the beach.

#55 Mon, 09/21/2009 - 8:55pm

Ok..and the names of the Primo paddlers are?....

F%$k it, who cares....more fun reading the old time stories. My mom was raised in Waikiki...this was the old days, Makee Island days, Daisy the elephant at kapiolani park days, catching opae in the stream days. I love hearing stories about the old Waikiki. Just kills me to see what it is like today....so sad.

JawsOut.

#56 Tue, 09/22/2009 - 9:52am

Size 32, Tommy, you skinny buggah? Hey! My khaki p.e. shorts with stipe down the side was size 29, which I ended up wearing over my Makahas for go jump Tower. You no need wear double Take shorts because they were super durable and made out of sail cloth, so they no rip when you jump Tower doing suicides, can opener, paia, and powder dives. Sorry, but I no wear those fufu Jams those days.

Termite Palace was the place for go for Makahiki, Demolition Derby, ROTC competitions, Hula Bowl, and for go watch the George Bros. play together for U of H. You right KGB, only later when the Islanders came was Primo served. Bo Belinsky use to pack the house when he pitched there.

#57 Tue, 09/22/2009 - 10:37am

Just my thoughts on an earlier topic in this thread:

Obviously Primo beer has a bad rap for tasting bad, I agree. I give Primo a try every few months because it seems like it should be the obvious choice - other than something locally made. (Why isn't Kona Brewing offering more support to ocean sports??) Anyway, I have never liked the Primo Lager. Too salty piss flavor for me. BUT, yesterday I tried for the first time Primo's Special 50th Anniversary Statehood Ale - what a great ale. Clean and crisp, a little on the malty side, but still a great beer. Primo finally won me over. If you have not tried it, do yourself a favor. I think you will be pleased like I was. Aloha.

P.S. I don't work for Primo or anything like that. I had it at J.J. Dolan's Bar Downtown on Bethel St. If anyone sees the tap anywhere else, or on sale in a store, pass the word.

#58 Tue, 09/22/2009 - 10:53am

Thanks for the stories guys .. and for the heads up acolytephoto.... all sound good.

aloha,
pog

#59 Tue, 09/22/2009 - 12:23pm

does anyone know who is going to get the boot from the team if danny races with them. that would suck but its hard having 10 gorillas. most teams would love having one of those guys on their team. but 10 is too many.

#60 Tue, 09/22/2009 - 1:39pm

danny who?

isn't this about beer ...

#61 Tue, 09/22/2009 - 2:24pm

Oh snap! How could you not know who "Danny" is? Let me give you a hint: Bonaduce.

#62 Tue, 09/22/2009 - 3:31pm

I've seen Danny drink and honestly, I don't know if he could make top 9.

#63 Tue, 09/22/2009 - 3:47pm

Best answer yet Malachi! LMAO!!

#64 Tue, 09/22/2009 - 4:20pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.276 seconds.