Truck rack?

Need some new racks. I forgot the name of the company that makes those minimalist alu. tube rear truck racks--the ones with the back-bend and the radiuses' at the corners? Name and contact?

Are they solid and not shaky and noisy at speed? Any comments compared to Thules?

mahalo

Submitted by whitewater on Fri, 11/13/2009 - 1:36pm

T-Racs maybe??? they have them at go bananas. easy to install and i like it.

#1 Sat, 11/14/2009 - 12:47am

Not the TracRac, which is a fairly heavy duty sliding rack system. The rack I'm talking about is light, made in Hawaii, and is fabricated from round tubing.

#2 Sat, 11/14/2009 - 10:54am

Heard some welder in Hawaii Kai/Moanalua Bay area custom makes them to what you need or want. I remember at the PA'A Holiday Burnoff race this past January one of the raffle/door prizes was a discount certificate for custom made aluminum truck racks. The guy that makes them was in front of "The Shack" handing out a small flyer to people registering for the race. It was Moanalua Bay Metalworks or something like that and had his mobile cell number.

Some of the ones I've seen are drilled and bolted to the bed rails with 2 bolts on each side, pretty solid and don't shake/rattle if put on right. There's also some that clamp/bolt on to the bed rails without drilling. If you plan on putting on some rackpads, make sure you tape the ends to the tubing so that they don't slide around. Heard stories of surfboards, OC-1's, surfski's and other stuff sliding back and forth and even down the side while in transit.

Here's a picture of a straight one (no back bend) that I saw on Craigslist for a Tacoma.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us<br/></br/>

#3 Sun, 11/15/2009 - 2:56am

EZM,
Those racks on CL look similar to the ones I'm referring to. I'm half sure the maker built custom racks as well, and might have been located at Campbell Ind. Park.

#4 Mon, 11/16/2009 - 4:59am

I believe there are a few other guys out there around the island that custom build them (bent back or straight, plain, painted or powder coated) in their spare time. They do it mostly through word of mouth or sometimes advertise on CL when they got time or need the extra money. So unless you know someone that knows these guys, it's hard to get a hold of them.

Tried to get some last year and came up blank with the number that I got from someone who had some made. The number was no longer in service.

#5 Mon, 11/16/2009 - 8:33am

I can give you the number of the guy who made the rack pictured above. He made my racks as well and they work awesome. Send me a pm.

#6 Tue, 11/17/2009 - 12:12pm

I'm looking too... archy you have a pm.
Mahalo

#7 Tue, 11/17/2009 - 1:38pm

Check these racks out... the front one is bolted right to the frame and not the bumper, and they can pack most any thing I would need, and they are very solid.

truck racks

#8 Tue, 11/17/2009 - 6:17pm

Hey, I'm on the east coast U.S. and can't speak for anyone out there but I designed racks for my truck and had a muffler shop make them for me out of aluminum stock they had in house. My finished product looks something like a roll bar. I left my truck at the shop for the day so they could custom fit everything just right. Mine bolts down to the bed rails. It was one of the "chain" muffler places which you can find anywhere. Price was definitly reasonable.

#9 Wed, 11/18/2009 - 2:48am

I have found a boat loader that does more than hauls boats.

It’s called the tdipowerrack.
There is a guy in Ill. Who makes them.

#10 Wed, 01/20/2010 - 3:32am

E7M mentioned Moanalua Bay Metalworks (aka Hawai'i Mobile Welding). Not only does he make really good custom aluminum pipe racks, but he also can do custom or replacement 'iako for any canoe. His name is Lenny and he can be reached at 216-3227.

#11 Wed, 01/20/2010 - 8:27am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.187 seconds.