water packs

what kind of hydration packs do you guys use or like? ive been using a kole gear hydration pack since molokai and i really like it. i like that you dont have to wait to get the water, its right there when you bite it. i also like how you can fill it halfway up then freeze it overnite,then fill it the rest of the way up and your drink will stay cold for the next few hours. any input or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Submitted by tnhale on Tue, 11/17/2009 - 7:42pm

I got a Platypus bag last year. Its just a water pack tho, not a wearable bag of any kind. Quick diconnect from the hose to the bag for changing them out is nice. Supposed to be a better quality plastic than camelback and the hose and bite valve are bigger. I like the koleo gear bag as well but once its done its done until you get home - not that you go through that much fluid very much. Ive never tried the freezing trick tho so Im tryin that out for sure.

#1 Tue, 11/17/2009 - 7:47pm

I use a 50 oz/1.5l Camelbak bladder in an insulated bag that I stick under the bungee on the back of my foam seat. I also freeze it half full overnight and fill the rest later for races or HK runs. During my regular paddling days I put in the frozen tubes of ice and fill with water. It's always good to have a cool drink of water as it goes down better than warm water.

Sometimes I can go through the whole bladder, other times I hardly drink from it. All depends on how hydrated I already am or feel or how long I've been out on the water.

#2 Wed, 11/18/2009 - 1:45am

Been involved in the fluid systems for a long time. I developed the original Aqua Paks (fanny packs w/ water bottles) back in the early '80s, for use in the Western States 100 mile run. I still use one of my old packs on rare occasion, but now have four CamelBaks, of varying sizes, and two KoleGear packs, a back pack, and a fanny pack. I find the Kolegear Hydration system takes a little more effort to load initially, but is well worth the effort, especially when training hard or in race conditions. Trying to suck fluid through a long tube can be very difficult, especially if one is under aerobic stress. On longer events, I sometimes charge two bladders as there are two supplied with the KoleGear pack, and if packed carefully, two will fit inside the large pack. One can change the hose from one bladder to the other rather easily. On short paddles, I sometime put the bladder in an old sock, charge it, then wet the sock as an evaporative cooler, makes for a compact easy to use system. Staying hydrated is important, be it recreation, training, or racing, thus I think it is worth trying a few systems to see what works for you.

#3 Thu, 11/19/2009 - 7:57am

you know how the land fill is filling up with plastic bottles . I watch for old bottles from some people that pay 2$ for water and discard it. I grab them and use them for a while. I wish I could find a glass one they say plastic is related to cancer.

Earthmover 3 Pictures, Images and Photos

#4 Thu, 11/19/2009 - 8:16pm

Thats kinda gross. You reuse other peoples bottles? Why not just recycle it and use one of those "reuseable" water containers?

#5 Thu, 11/19/2009 - 8:48pm

well, no more than eating at a restaurant and using there cups, I wash them of course and I meant my wife bottles or like that. and the point is to minus from land fills. or I guess I could buy 40$ water packs with the plastic bag that are so hard to clean inside to that to a sterile point. I do like that convenient straw but. I still would like a glass bottle out of a dish washer . it just feels a little less grouse to me.

waves Pictures, Images and Photos

#6 Thu, 11/19/2009 - 9:15pm

I appreciate you doing your part for the environment. However it may not be a great idea to reuse plastic bottles. They contain phthalates which are used to make plastic soft. Over time they leach into your drinking water and this is what the EPA has to say about them.
"Phthalates, called “plasticizers,” are a group of industrial chemicals used to make plastics like polyvinyl chloride (PVC) more flexible or resilient and also as solvents. Phthalates are nearly ubiquitous in modern society, found in, among other things, toys, food packaging, hoses, raincoats, shower curtains, vinyl flooring, wall coverings, lubricants, adhesives, detergents, nail polish, hair spray and shampoo.
Phthalates have been found to disrupt the endocrine system. Several phthalate compounds have caused reduced sperm counts, testicular atrophy and structural abnormalities in the reproductive systems of male test animals, and some studies also link phthalates to liver cancer, according to the U.S. Center for Disease Control’s 2005 National Report on Human Exposure to Environmental Chemicals. Though the CDC contends the health hazards of phthalates to humans have not been definitively established, for some years, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has regulated phthalates as water and air pollutants."

#7 Fri, 11/20/2009 - 12:06pm

holy,,,, sperm count, testicular, and liver cancer. I would really like a glass bottle now. remember the old 1 liter 1/4 bottles they had for pop those would be a perfect size. most containers reusable or disposable are all plastic or phthalates. and the plumbers are starting to use plastic pipes through out all homes now also.

#8 Fri, 11/20/2009 - 11:58pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.205 seconds.