Your Ideas on Configuring 45-foot Container to hold 4 to 5 OC-6 Canoes

Fellow paddlers,

Northern California is getting very close to finalizing a shipment of 4 or 5 OC-6 canoes from Honolulu to Oakland in a 45 foot container. I need your thoughts on configuring the container.

In reviewing the many posts on OC-paddler, there are certainly many engineers, nutritionist, or people that have lots of thoughts-or like to tell others what to do. ;))

Obviously with 4 or 5 canoes, we will need to build a second row in the container. The idea is to create the following:

-4 sets of Ribs (I figure there is a better word, but I don’t know it) spaced evenly down the container
-Use 4 X4s for Post and cross beams. Use brackets to connect posts and cross beams
-Create braces at foot of posts so they don’t slide or move
-On the cross beams create cradles for the 2 canoes on top row
-Of course canoes will be strapped down and cushioned prior to shipping.

Please let me know your thoughts or any better ideas. Also cost is a factor

A little like this but done much better and sturdier.

http://www.sox-will.com/style/packing/loading_container.jpg

Aloha

Submitted by JJ on Sat, 11/28/2009 - 6:25am

Are you sure the canoes will fit? A 45' container is less than 45 feet on the inside, probably more like 44'6'' or so. If they do fit, you are on the right track.

#1 Sat, 11/28/2009 - 9:10am

You are right about inside of a container. 44'6.25''

I checked on that already.

Original Mirage 45' foot even. New M2 44' 4''-So will fit well.

Lightning 44' 11''-

I have enough space, so if I have to angle some canoes to make fit then no problem.

Mahalo

#2 Sat, 11/28/2009 - 9:33am

you are going to hae a fair amount of "air space" in the container. You might want to see if there is anybody wanting to ship an OC1 or surfski back. That would help to offset the cost for you.

#3 Sat, 11/28/2009 - 4:09pm

first row 2 or 3 canoes on saddles evenly spaced. lay cushioning on top of them. lay 4x4 across of canoes. strap each canoe individually to 4x4. thatll help from canoes from swaying. second row put cushioning on 4x4. flip last 2 canoes and lay them between the spaces of first row. strap canoes individually. first row canoesyou can lay ama and iakos inside of boat. second row lay ama and iakos on side of boat. strapped of course. lots of straps but thats my idea.

aloha kapuni

#4 Sun, 11/29/2009 - 8:59am

Here is an illustration of a rack system I developed here in Australia to ship bulk Mirages overseas. It's very simple to build based on a modular system with a set of cradles for each canoe. The whole set up can be lifted by forklift and coasters can be added so the whole unit can be wheeled in and out of containers.

Cheers

Barts
http://www.outriggerconnection.com.au/

#5 Sun, 11/29/2009 - 12:37pm

Mahalo for everyones ideas.

#6 Tue, 12/01/2009 - 11:36am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.182 seconds.