220 LB paddler high volume canoe

I am 220lb and 6'3". Is there a canoe out there for a bigger guy. I am currently paddling a Wainui. It feels like it needs a bit more volume behind the seat. All the other OC1's I have tried are the same. Is there an OC1 for the bigger guy.

Submitted by Hammerhead on Sat, 05/15/2010 - 5:17pm

I had an Outrigger Connection Fusion when I weighed in at 220.still 6'2"..I liked it a lot, well built, great to paddle other than in flat water...sold that then bought a Pueo. I really like the Pueo all around and I am in the 170lbs range. Your height would not be an issue with the Pueo, but your weight may be a factor. Try more canoes till you find one you like....

#1 Sat, 05/15/2010 - 5:30pm

I've had a Scorpius and now have a Pueo. I'm 6'3" and 225 pounds. Scorpius definitely had lots of volume, but felt like too much, especially in front of the seat. I really like the Pueo so far and feel it has sufficient volume for me. But as everyone says, demo all you can and see what you like best. One consideration for sure is wait time. You could buy a used Scorpius or Fusion right now. For a Pueo you're probably gonna wait.

#2 Sat, 05/15/2010 - 5:42pm

Sounds like the Pueo defies everything oc and Kai Wa'a have been doing in regards to selling boats by weight. Pueo has one design and it seems to be the best boat for all sizes, 120lbs chicks to 225 lbs dudes. Can someone explain?

#3 Sat, 05/15/2010 - 7:52pm

Karel Jr isn't racing the latest OC boat ? Kai didn't win either ? The Peuo has been derived from Californian design which should be better in smaller water, but Kai and karel snr are all looking to the channel and accordingly bigger volume canoes with more Rocker?

#4 Sat, 05/15/2010 - 8:30pm

I am 6'3" 225lbs. I have a Polaris. i was at least 235lbs. when i started paddling it. i thought it had sufficient volume for me. i not a hardcore paddler. Paddled jc_90 & Luke's Pueos. big difference. now i feel the Polaris has more volume than i need. The Polaris is still a good boat and more than i can probably handle. Bought a Pueo for my wife. easier than buying me another cherry boat when hers is old. plus think of the brownie points. ill just use it when shes not. The Pueo has more leg room than my Polaris even with the seat shaved. The Pueo floats my fine. think i'm on the heavier side for the Pueo but its good incentive to keep it off or loose more weight. on the wait list for another one.......Right Luke?

#5 Sat, 05/15/2010 - 8:43pm

Bastard. A second pueo?

#6 Sat, 05/15/2010 - 9:56pm

Who knows what'll happen in 8 months. Maybe it will turn into an Aukahi....

#7 Sat, 05/15/2010 - 11:15pm

kai has been hurt and hasn't been training...so it doesn't matter that he didn't win.....Kai and Jr. can win on a flat log if they wanted to.....so that is mute. Try a scorpius or a zepher....polaris or a Kaimana might alsobe good to try.
aloha

#8 Mon, 05/17/2010 - 1:25pm

Learn from the "Molokai surfski post", buy a ski. I would buy a surf ski if I were/could fit in your shoes. They are a lot cheaper and the perfomance is better, plus you won't have to wait 6-8 months.

#9 Mon, 05/17/2010 - 10:47pm

The Zephyr OC1 is a good high volume canoe for the bigger guys. Wish there were more designs that suited the big island boys

Vinaka

#10 Sun, 08/15/2010 - 1:22pm

A few guys on the Big Island moved the Scorpius footwells forward and really liked how the canoe ran. So KAi is modifying one of his Scorpius molds with the cockpit up several inches. Perfect for the tall guys. So tyr that one out. Try them all out and see what works best for you.

#11 Sun, 08/15/2010 - 3:04pm

Paddlefast,

Thats cool news ... I was talking to a friend here about just that a few months ago.

aloha,
pog

#12 Sun, 08/15/2010 - 3:34pm

Eh Guys ! Had to get in on this one to hopefully explain what alot of us need to know. Most of us know about the center of gravity and its affects. High center-more roll, lower center-less roll. There is another factor on your boat that affects your forward movement,it is called weight bias. In the auto racing world your weight bias is determined by how much is distributed between the front and back of the vehicle. Normally a car will have most of its weight on the front because of the engine. Lets use the 60/40 weight bias as an example: 60%on the front and 40% on the rear. Those of you with pickup trucks are probably at 70/30, thats why the rear tires light up when you stomp the throttle. Racers try to adjust this bias by lightening then moving weight to the rear to even up the percentage. Follow me? So how does this affect oc1's,2's and 6's and so on, alot. Surfskis not so much because they in my mind have figured it out. Let me first explain the surfski situation, surfskis are made with a sunken seat molded into it. The builders Roseski,Twogood.Robello and others have determined that their seat position is where the paddler should be to have the best weight bias for their skis. The pedals on these boats were not adjustable posing problems for long legged paddlers. What ! I didn't mention Epic and Fenn? I didn't did I. To these builders I say, Thanks! For what you ask ? For introducing adjustable pedals! Yes that's right, Adjustable pedal assemblies! These assemblies are great, the seat is stationary so you don't lose your weight bias,but now you can adjust your pedals to fit your leg length.
In my situation, my fat ass and long legs need to be more forward to improve my percentage. I think I'm pulling wheelies ! In other situations, didn't you wish you could be just a little more forward to drop into the trough or back a little to keep that nose up. The ability to do these things in a boat would be a great asset. Short legs, long legs no problem! One size fits all! We need to have builders adjust their molds and offer adjustable pedals not only for comfort but also for performance. Double adjustability (seat and pedals) would make for a greater paddling experience for all. Aloha!
"Big Boys,Kick and Glide" Water Cures All !

#13 Sun, 08/15/2010 - 10:02pm

No boat has a single sweet spot for one / all paddlers. Just not possible.

Really need both ... Neither canoe or ski has it. Pretty sure Jude can convert his canoes to adjustable footbrace though.

Adjustable seat to fine tune weight placement in the boat ... Adjustable leg length to fit paddler... Then back to super fine tuning seat again maybe too. 1/2" can make a big difference.

Having both will enable one to have different setting for various conditions as well ...

aloha,
pog

#14 Mon, 08/16/2010 - 12:21am

The allwave galea has both an adjustable footwell and seat. European made so maybe not available in the states

#15 Mon, 08/16/2010 - 9:55am

MaaAfi Best big boy boat around. And I have had them all.

#16 Mon, 08/16/2010 - 10:27am

I paddled in the new Osprey and my feet couldn't fit inside, and heels keep digging into the side walls and started popping in and out from the pressure. I thought I was going to break my mates OC1. Have gone for a fusion but have heard a lot of good things about the pueo currently 6 motnhs lead time on a new order?

#17 Thu, 09/02/2010 - 12:41pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.211 seconds.