275lbs New Paddler

Aloha, my name is Tony, and I've recently moved to Oahu to chase my dreams of paddling. I don't really know if I should invest in a 2man canoe, or try to get on a 6man team to build some open water time till my weight drops enuff to fit on an V-1/OC-1, and I was hoping that a few of you gentlemen might have some ideas on which way I should focus. I'm a pretty big guy, that can barely get down to 210-220 @ 6'0'' when I'm in excellent shape.

Mahalo for your thoughts,

-Tony

Submitted by Caiman on Thu, 10/21/2010 - 6:07pm

ok, fixed the above (text wasn't wrapping)

#1 Thu, 10/21/2010 - 6:18pm

I don't mean to insult you in any way, but your first priority needs to be to lose significant poundage and get in shape. Join a gym, start an aggressive/intense cardio program of interval training, and learn the basics of paddling. Your best bet to learn the basics at this juncture is to join a club and start paddling OC-6s as much as possible. Buying a 1- or 2-man canoe now would be similar to buying a new suit before going on a diet to lose weight......it will not fit you for very long. Best wishes in your efforts, and I hope you are successful!

#2 Fri, 10/22/2010 - 4:23am

Aloha Tony
it's just getting balance. witch comes with time. Tyson Kubo was 225 Lbs when he won the Maui to Molo in 08. on a Hurricane. a little off the topic, we are restricted by our options on canoes due to molds and cost and demand .this question has been raised before and they do have a couple of canoes for xl , but I’m not sure if they have any for xxl or xxxl people. witch would be good for the sport. a canoe that’s hard to tip and not built for the 170 paddlers but still fast. Try the Fusion by Outrigger connection, take one for a test drive I’m sure it is enough canoe for your dimensions. Karel Jr old race canoe.

#3 Fri, 10/22/2010 - 5:12am

Jerryguy - I disagree. Paddling is a perfect activity to lose weight. I know several people who have lost 40+ pounds with paddling as their main activity. You don't lose weight with an "aggressive/intense cardio program of interval training". You lose weight by spending lots of time at 60-75% of max HR. Paddling is perfect for that.

Now I totally agree with join club, paddle OC6, develop good technique, etc. But I'd say buy a one-man and paddle as much as you can. And if it doesn't "fit" in a year, sell it and buy something smaller.

#4 Fri, 10/22/2010 - 5:48am

If you're in town, there are a handful of clubs that paddle OC-6 recreationally off-season - Kamehameha, Waikiki Yacht Club, and Lokahi (that I know of). I agree with the above: Paddle with a club through the winter, and see how you're doing next Spring when serious training starts.

#5 Fri, 10/22/2010 - 9:45am

I find that having one's colon removed is a great weight loss program.

#6 Fri, 10/22/2010 - 9:49am

slbrth
well, you win the prize for the most absurd statement I've read today: "you don't lose weight.....with interval training." Regardless of whether you agree with me or not, interval training has been repeatedly demonstrated to be the best way to improve cardiovascular fitness and also lose weight at the same time. Do your own research on the subject. It would seem that we can all agree that paddling in general is a valuable ingredient to assist Tony toward his goals. It's not a question of one or the other, but a combination of several facets of training.

#7 Fri, 10/22/2010 - 11:36am

Jerry - I shouldn't have said "you don't lose weight"... Its the whole percentage of calories burned coming from glycogen, fat, or muscle that varies based on your intensity level. And I totally agree mixing stuff up so your body doesn't get in a rut.

This was a very interesting article from LiveStrong.

"Super Cardio"
"Super Cardio" is Jeff Anderson's term for a type of cardiovascular exercise that burns almost pure body fat. A recent study frequently quoted by the "Muscle Nerd," points out that medium and high-intensity forms of cardio burn far too much glycogen and muscle tissue. By comparison, low-intensity cardio burns a much greater quantity of body fat. The traditional philosophy of cardio would have you focus on the number of calories being burned. However, if those calories are coming from muscle and carbohydrate fuel sources, then you may be burning very little fat in reality. "Super Cardio" means doing a low-intensity cardio workout immediately following resistance training exercise. For example, after 60 minutes or less of resistance training, you would walk at a steady state on the treadmill for 30 minutes. Since resistance training exhausts much of our stores of muscle glycogen, our bodies are then able to tap into body fat stores for energy. Moreover, since the cardio is low-intensity, very little muscle tissue will be broken down as an energy source. Whereas other forms of cardio may improve heart health and burn calories, "super cardio" targets fat burning exclusively, according to Jeff Anderson.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/73846-fat-burning-vs.-cardio/#ixzz1387...

#8 Fri, 10/22/2010 - 12:42pm

Caiman
Take all of this info and decide for yourself,you decide what is right for you. Paddling with others is great for the mind and the body. Speaking from experience,I myself am a big guy. I hope to lose weight but if not, so be it. The main thing is that you get excercise and enjoy doing it. My crew is comprised of all "Big Boys" 240 plus. We also compete in the 50 masters,we've never won but we sure have a great time doing it. Come down to Aina Mokue'a (Sand Island) and get in a crew. If you can make it there by 4'o clock we'll fit you in, if not Gilbert Silva can fit you in. He always has an open door for new paddlers. By the way,my suggetion for an oc1 for you would be the Ma'a Afi. "Big Boys Kick and Glide" "Water Cures All"

#9 Fri, 10/22/2010 - 12:54pm

Great thread I to am a big boy, 220 I was 250 11 years ago when my wife was making our childeren . My mom said she was worried about me and the extra weight would be hard on my heart and shorten my life and I would like to be around for my kids who are racing now by the way so I have never stopped chasing my dreams of paddling not in paradise but my way was to look at what I eat and cut back on all the good stuff. I try always to replace it with healthy good stuff. Today is one of the best days I just got a SUP board. Great cardio and core training

feel the water

#10 Fri, 10/22/2010 - 4:11pm

Mahalo for all your comments, and mails, I'm super happy to learn that there are a few options to choose from as far as training goes...(I didn't think that any OC-1's could support me, but I'm happy to hear that a few might)...And yeah, I figured I'd need to trim down a lot, but I'd definately prefer to do it paddling, if possible...I'll be looking up the clubs mentioned above, and look forward to meeting all of you...Great advice, and exactly what I was looking for.

Aloha,

-Tony

#11 Fri, 10/22/2010 - 7:17pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.202 seconds.