Advice for SoCal oc1 Winter series

I'm getting really excited about my first go at the SoCal Winter series! I've been paddling the big boats for a little over 5 years now, but have minimal experience on the little boats.

So my question is this, the 1st event (La Jolla Shores, Saturday Nov 13th) features a 4 mile short course and an 8 mile long course; should I jump right to the long course because I feel comfortable racing multi-hour 6-man races, or is the learning curve so steep that I should cut my teeth racing the short courses to gain more experience?

Mahalo in advance!

Submitted by Salty Dog on Wed, 11/03/2010 - 7:54am

No reason to ever race short-course unless you're really hungover.

#1 Wed, 11/03/2010 - 8:01am

@ GOTO- That was xlent advice

#2 Wed, 11/03/2010 - 8:23am

LOL - thanks fellas. That was kind of what I was thinking, mahalo for confirming.

#3 Wed, 11/03/2010 - 9:31am

@GOTO- "aint a race unless you drink a six pack the night before."

Go for the Long course, if you fail, miserably, then you know where you have to be for the next race.

#4 Wed, 11/03/2010 - 8:22pm

My advice is a little different than above. Know your limits. I would probably check on each course and what ask about what conditions you may run into. As you mention your experience in OC1's are somewhat limited, don't be a burden on the safety boats or organizers by being in a race that you have no right being at.
There are so many races, check it out first. Paddlers are a friendly group and will give you their advice on what you might come across during each course.
Again, know your limits and don't expect a safety boat or a fellow paddler to bail you out because of bad judgement on your side of things.
Best of luck, I'm sure you will have a great time!

#5 Thu, 11/04/2010 - 4:51am

@Tpop- only a six pack?

@SaltyDog- To put it in perspective, La Jolla Shores is always a dead flat down and back run along the coast; no big bumps, nothing technical or tricky, no big safety issue. It's a boring grind, but as others have said it will give you a gauge on where you are and where you want to go with your training. And if it sucks too hard, just turn 90 degrees and paddle into the beach. Everybody has to start somewhere and no one is going to remember where you finished at this race. Just have fun with it and see what happens. You'll probably surprise yourself.

#6 Thu, 11/04/2010 - 6:38am

Six,

Every year I did that ( and all the other SoCal races ) I would politely opine that they could make it SO much more fun if they were to simply shoot it out a bit instead of along the coast. If the L.J course is the same as I remember ... It has about 100 yds of 'downwind' to it.

Do the long course for the experience, stay high up on the turning buoy and drink lots.

aloha,
pog

#7 Thu, 11/04/2010 - 8:39am

I will give the quick safety talk.

Be careful. Don't assume anyone will save you or take care of you. Phone, marine radio, leash, life vest, etc.

Also if you do the long course remember "everyone will cheat at the start" ;)

#8 Thu, 11/04/2010 - 11:44am

@ SIX - yeah when you a beginner you don't want to push yourself. Remember know your limitations. haha jk

down wind? I only did the race one year when there was down wind, and it was coming out of the south at 15+ mph. The race officials didn't change the course so we had a great 4 mile race going to the turn bouy but a not so good race coming strait back into it for 4 miles. Na, most of the time the race will be dead flat and will be a test of who can dig the deepest and about who has been training to win November.

You can fail now and it will only make you stronger come next race.

#9 Fri, 11/05/2010 - 6:58pm

@ Salty Dog. So how did you do at La Jolla Shores?

#10 Mon, 11/15/2010 - 12:29pm

Had a lot of fun, mahalo
Ended up doing the long course, and even though the second leg felt like forever, I felt strong at the finish. Throw in a bowl of that kine chili and I was stoked!

Looking forward to O-side!

#11 Mon, 11/15/2010 - 1:07pm

Salty,

Oceanside more fun IMO.

Pre Check the best line coming back into Harbor after last buoy ... Lots of ways to make up ground.

Some guys even sneak inside the docks once inside.

aloha,
pog

#12 Thu, 11/18/2010 - 9:00am

Yeah? What does the O-side course usually look like? Hopefully the ocean rises to lend a hand!

#13 Fri, 11/19/2010 - 9:29am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.186 seconds.