Alternative to drug testing

My interest in alternatives to drug testing was sparked this morning from the thread on Vitamin supplements and after reading the abstract of a study on pubmed.gov titled: Total hemoglobin mass--a new parameter to detect blood doping? I'm not sure what the complete text states, but to my understanding it is saying that it's possible to detect if someone is blood doping (either EPO or blood transfusions) by testing the variation in their total hemoglobin mass. A change of less than 6% can be explained by natural variations in training, but a change of over 10% is artificial.

I also just read (in the book "Bounce," by Matthew Syed) about the idea of testing only for the percentage of red blood cells (hematocrit level). He claims that it's perfectly safe to get to an HCT level under 50% (whether through EPO, blood doping, or altitude training), but a level above 55% is dangerous due to a higher risk for heart attack. He makes the argument that we shouldn't test for substances but rather for symptoms of overuse.

Does anyone know the viability of either of those methods? Is either of them easy to test for?

Submitted by luke on Wed, 06/09/2010 - 11:33am

That test is not a complicated test - it will test for blood doping only.

Return to amateur sports - that way you get rid of doping problems.

Indirectly we are paying the bill - sponsors may be generous, but will pass the bill on to consumers.

Outrigger paddling has a strong cultural background - maybe it should not be commercialized.

#1 Wed, 06/09/2010 - 2:00pm

Any estimate on cost for measuring HCT levels?

Eckhart, I don't think that commercialization takes away from culture. Even if we do, as a rule, eliminate all prize money to keep it "amateur," I don't think that you would eliminate the desire to take performance enhancing drugs.

If HCT levels could be measured very cheaply, then would that not be a safe and easy option for making sure that paddlers are staying healthy, while at the same time taking a stand against doping.

Maybe this isn't a good comparison-- but if you look at cycling and how all of the top cyclists are blood doping, then as a young competitor that immediately saps any desire I have to start cycling.

#2 Wed, 06/09/2010 - 4:55pm

@Luke, the hematocrit can be measured non-invasively, you do not even have to draw blood.

Blood doping is only one of many forms of doping. I am not sure how many paddlers have access to physicians that will draw, prepare and store blood for them and administer it later on demand. Those physicians who do it charge enormous amounts of money for the service. In other words, you need a larger organization behind the athletes doing it.

You can count truly outstanding paddlers with organizations behind them at one hand. I do not know if cost/benefit calculations would justify blood doping in this sport. Cheaper drugs will be used.

Once enough money gets involved, blood doping for long distance races will be a fact.

The commerce/culture question is very interesting. I do not know Hawaiian culture so I cannot add anything.
Tiger Woods is a prime example of commerce corrupting and perverting culture, in my opinion. Nothing against Tiger Woods, by the way. That is a different topic; how about creating an 'outrigger round table' to debate similar questions ?

Competitive cycling is a total rush; very high addiction potential. And lots of fame and money in Europe.
If you are a talent in that sport, it will be very difficult to resist to go all the way.

#3 Wed, 06/09/2010 - 9:55pm

You can get portable hb/hct monitors for under $1000 and disposables for a few buck each, but this does nothing to solve the problem. It is actually a very easy test to out maneuver. Even if you do test using the most expensive and advanced testing available, the validity of those results will be challenged(Especially if there is money involved). Testing is only a deterrent. It will not stop the problem.

Competitive athletes at all levels of sport, amateurs to professionals, are always looking for some sort of edge that will make them faster than the next. Anything from new equipment to vitamins, supplements and yes, for some, the use of "illegal" performance enhancing practices. Most people that participate in these practices are sophisticated enough to know how to do it without being detected...most of the time.

The fact that there is a strong cultural background should be used to deter this practice. Not only at a community level, but at an individual level as well. Blood doping and drug use is never a one man adventure. There are always others involved in teaching, buying, covering and so forth. Self regulation and peer pressure can help to curtail it, but it will never go away completely. There will always be some fool trying to get a nose up!

#4 Wed, 06/09/2010 - 9:44pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.178 seconds.