AMA setup...warning dumb question

Ok

here goes...I am using an outrigger for flat water racing....ultra marathon distances (50-100 miles or more)....a lighter AMA is from my understanding rigged downward...whole AMA is more below the Main boats waterline so boat is level and can pop the AMA for a wave

and more stable is rigging is with Ama upward so boat leans left and so paddler tends to lean on AMA more and less chance for a huli

ok...but for flat water...i have wondered if I rigged boat stable...ie leaning left and then concentrated on sitting even on canoe...so boat is balanced left to right...and then AMA is just barely kissing the water ....if I rig what is traditionally considered a light AMA (AMA downward)....will it not be engaged in the water more and create drag

feel free to set me straight and for those of you lucky enough to have the ocean to paddle....go easy on me....I am landlocked in the Midwest....but we have some amazing really big rivers (Missouri river and Mississippi river) where an outrigger is a good ride....big wakes from barges and wind blown waves and pushy currents

I paddle both outrigger and surfski and they are great boats for our big river races

Bryan

Submitted by missourikayaker on Mon, 09/27/2010 - 2:44pm

#1 Tue, 09/28/2010 - 2:09am

I would try them both but there is a sweet spot

#2 Tue, 09/28/2010 - 3:00am

Rig so its level, if your on a canoe for 50-100 miles comfort is your biggest concern. Your body will notice that slight lean to the left or right after the first 6 miles of a flat water race. And constantly trying to level the boat out if the boat is rigged "heavy" or to the left will cause some serious irritation when the core muscles get tired of stabilizing.

#3 Tue, 09/28/2010 - 4:29am

Just curious about the portaging? How you going carry and run with the outrigger sticking out? Plus the shallow water and rocks? You get kick up rudder or what? Or you going rudderless?

#4 Tue, 09/28/2010 - 9:59am

We are talking huge rivers....in places 1/2 a mile wide and with a defined and deep channel used by barges that can push loads that are 2-3 football field in length.....races don't have a portage and most all are ultra's with the longer one is a continous non stop race for 340 miles (www.rivermiles.com)....this last one is the one that outriggers are a good tool.....one can have to deal with serious barge wakes and wind blown waves and pushy current.....and paddling at night plus exhaustion.....outrigger's have made the podium more than once

it's not the ocean....but it's not a little creek either

I have have raced outrigger set ups before and right now I am excited to recieve a new huki oc-1 in a few days....last few years I have Mainly been racing a surfski.....but will use the oc for next years Missouri 340 ultra....looking forward to it!

And due to submerged logs and debris I do I install a kickup rudder on all my boats

#5 Tue, 09/28/2010 - 11:48pm

I notice there's a Tiger OC-2 featured on the front page of the race site.

#6 Wed, 09/29/2010 - 9:11am

Alright Missouri, you showed me. Best bet is to discuss this with the manufacturer? However, I'd just rig the ama for the most stable setting, ie: extra long iako and as close to the fiberglass as possible at the rear of the ama. Then I'd look around for some webbing or netting material to string between the na iako (like a hammock) to carry some extra light gear or food, etc. Main thing is you are comfortable for a long race and not have to worry about capsizing. With this kind of setup, you're better than a raft and faster. Good luck.
ps: Watch out for those old Crozier Cruisers that will blow by you.

#7 Wed, 09/29/2010 - 9:43am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.202 seconds.