Best OC1 for newbie female in Kona

I am hoping for input from experienced paddlers out there as to what OC1 canoe to purchase. I am a newbie to paddling but I have ocean kayak's and I am fairly athletic - I am a road cyclist. I am 5'8" and weigh 120 lbs - not much on the upper body strength which is something I hope to gain through paddling. I will be using the canoe strictly on the Kona side where its flat and not a lot of wave action. I have done some research on the various threads/postings but I am really looking for specifics given my size and location of where I will be paddling. Any recommendations out there? Your input would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Submitted by ddmkona on Thu, 09/16/2010 - 7:25am

I just sent you a pm.

#1 Thu, 09/16/2010 - 10:58am

DDM,

You might try call Papu @ Pineula in Hilo. ... I believe he is working on a brand new model for folks just your size !!!

No pics on website ... Try give him a shout on the phone.

http://www.occanoe.com/index.html

aloha,
pog

#2 Thu, 09/16/2010 - 4:31pm

start with a used Hurricane or Pegasus. Just post under ForSale/Wanted on this site and you'll get some calls. You'll have fun with either canoe.

#3 Thu, 09/16/2010 - 6:46pm

Thank you for the very helpful replies. I will certainly contact Papu since he is on this Island and will start searching the online classifieds for a used Hurricane or Pegasus. If anyone has one for sale on the Big Island, please let me know. Forgot to ask - someone is selling a used Vantage that was made by Steve Blyth. Any thoughts on whether this may be good for me?

#4 Fri, 09/17/2010 - 6:55am

The Vantage is a great boat for surfing and the bumps... The Hawaiian built Steve Blyths boat are the best of the vantage models out there. The Vantage is big boy boat (more of a 180+ lb person) and has a big rocker (curve bottom shape) for waves and down wind runs. It is not a perfect fit for Kona flat waters.

Depends what you are looking for:
If you are looking for a entry level boat then this might work. There are some lessons that need to be learned in taking care of, carrying and hitting the rudder that happens in your first boat. Everyone goes through these lesson and going through them on a brand new boat can be painful.

If you are looking for more of a custom fit and one you can eventually race I would go with the Hurricane or Pegasus models or a boat of compatible size.

Does anyone know a contact she can hook up with on the big island that can demo different boats? Try as many boats as possible!!!

Happy Paddling!!

#5 Fri, 09/17/2010 - 7:31am

Sounds like the Vantage is not for me. Ikaika is the local rep for the Hurricane and he is going to set me up with a demo. Not sure if there is a local rep for the Pegasus that I can meet with and demo that one as well. I really want to thank everyone for responding. This has been very helpful.

#6 Fri, 09/17/2010 - 7:45am

Call Tom Bartlett@652-0406 he should be able to point ya in the right direction... ~L

#7 Fri, 09/17/2010 - 8:16am

Will do, thanks!

#8 Fri, 09/17/2010 - 8:19am

I wouldn't dismiss that Vantage canoe, for I do remember it winning quite a few "flat water" races here on Oahu. Of course, everything has to do with the paddler, but if the price is right, the Vantage might be a sleeper of a gem, which might be the perfect fit for you. So reconsider and go for a test run, for the Vantage has been successful in the flat water.

#9 Fri, 09/17/2010 - 11:20am

last comment correct,although I use my Papu Williams Pine Ula Vantage strictly for downwinders and surfing,I have no problem whatsoever keeping up with the Pegasus on the flats(and even not to name another one getting all the raves)

#10 Fri, 09/17/2010 - 1:33pm

@Koacanoe and Kava... I had a Vantage too and loved it.. Please dont think I downplaying the Vantage.

I think for a " 5'8" and weigh 120 lbs - not much on the upper body strength" a smaller boat would be a safe suggestion...

#11 Fri, 09/17/2010 - 1:42pm

Thanks everyone. Visually, the Vantage looks too big for me but I won't discount it until I've tested the canoe's recommended here on this post.

#12 Fri, 09/17/2010 - 2:52pm

For $1,200.00, you can bring back to Kona Tiger's Makia, from Oahu, which also includes a carbon paddle. This canoe should be just right for you, since it is made for your size. Sure it is a little older generation canoe, but heck, it looks like a beauty in the Y2kanu classifieds. Check it out, for it looks in great shape and should go fast?

#13 Fri, 09/17/2010 - 3:40pm

craig's list , could have some canoes.

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/spo/1896779308.html

#14 Sat, 09/18/2010 - 7:09am

while your trying out canoes you should really try the hottest canoe on the market today the PUEO, the most vesatile oc1 out there. You trully won't be disappointed. I sent you a pm.

#15 Sun, 09/19/2010 - 11:17pm

Is the Pueo built for someone my size?

#16 Mon, 09/20/2010 - 8:52am

yes, there's women here in oahu your size racing the pueo. try it for yourself.

#17 Mon, 09/20/2010 - 6:40pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.282 seconds.