Bradley Striker

I am trying to identify an older boat in our inventory.

The iakos are NOT lashed onto the ama using any holes through the ama. The iakos simply lie on a black 3/4"thick square 4"x4" plastic plates where the iakos intersect the ama and are lashed around the slight ridge provided by these plastic plates.. There are no notches in the manu ihu or manu hope, but otherwise the boat bears a strong ressemblance to a Force Five except for the ama. Perhaps it is a "married" boat made up of the parts of two very different boats.

Someone believed they remembered the Striker had no lashing holes in its ama. What are the dimensions and other distinctive features of the Bradley Striker?

Photobucket

Submitted by YankeeHookele on Thu, 07/01/2010 - 10:17am

the boat looks to short to be a bradley or force five. My guess would be an old malia.

#1 Thu, 07/01/2010 - 2:29pm

That looks like a Bixler ama.

#2 Thu, 07/01/2010 - 3:33pm

Hawaiian Racer-95% sure

with Clipper Ama

#3 Thu, 07/01/2010 - 6:04pm

to short to be a hawaiian class racer. We paddler those boats at the alawai with OCC and they dont look anything like that. especially the manus unless they were modified. What is the length of the canoe. I'm pretty sure its an old malia mold.

#4 Thu, 07/01/2010 - 6:13pm

From what I've heard there are only two HCRs on the East Coast and I know where both are. Neither is painted like that.

Is that an old NYO canoe? It's got a similar paint scheme to my club's first canoe which came from NYO.

#5 Fri, 07/02/2010 - 3:47am

It is an NYO boat.

Heh-heh, how old is part of what we are trying to determine.

"Bradley" is the name that keeps coming up and of course, that is a name connected to a heck alotta fiberglass OC-6's.

What's funny is, it beat a Bradley Lightning last week.

#6 Fri, 07/02/2010 - 4:41am

Talk to Roger Meyer, the first president of NYO. He can probably tell you what canoe it is. The one we have is a Pacific Islander built in CA. From what I've read it's based on the original Bradley, but stretched a bit. I don't think that's what you have though based on my own conversations with Roger (he alluded to only one PI being purchased). Hope that helps and DM me if you want Roger's contact info.

#7 Fri, 07/02/2010 - 6:04am

I think its a Force Five, the angle of the picture makes it look short. The shape of the manus makes be believe it is a Force Five. You can see how the front splash guard continues into the gunnels. Brent Bixler was the first to incorporate that feature, long before Bradley and Outrigger Connection. Don't recall his name but Walter Guild had another guy, in addition to Brent, who worked for him. Anyway he built that ama. I think his name is Chris.
Tiger

#8 Fri, 07/02/2010 - 7:12am

Cris Coleti?

#9 Fri, 07/02/2010 - 7:54am

For starters, you might want to measure the canoe. That could rule out a lot of canoes. As mentioned above, photo may be distorted. Based off the photo, it looks very similar to a Malia, just based off the seating.

#10 Fri, 07/02/2010 - 9:15am

If it is a Force Five it will have a notch just below the tip of the back manu on the flat side, we called it the Menehune bench.

#11 Fri, 07/02/2010 - 9:36am

I'm with Tiger, Force Five, you can nearly identify the nick in the rear Manu, also the seating in the Force Five is lower than most recent canoes. Definately not a Malia as the paddlers were still grouped by 2 & the Manu's on the Hawaiian Classic are way different, Pacific Islander is also more Bradleyesque, sharper front & rear.

#12 Fri, 07/02/2010 - 10:23am

Based on the ECORA canoe weight document and the hull number on the bow, it's a Force Five. I don't know how accurate that document is, but that's what it says for N3…

There are or were a few Malias out here, but I don't think any of the clubs that had them are around anymore.

#13 Fri, 07/02/2010 - 10:57am

Definitely a Colletti ama.....Possibly a Force Five or a Malia hull that was modified with Force Five Style Manu....See how close the paddlers are sitting and how short the back manu is behind the steersman....( Just another semi-educated guess...without an actual hull leangth measurement.)

#14 Fri, 07/02/2010 - 3:13pm

It's a force five.

#15 Fri, 07/02/2010 - 6:33pm

force five with a colletti 'ama

#16 Fri, 07/02/2010 - 9:01pm

Checked it today. It has the notch on the manu hope.

#17 Sun, 07/04/2010 - 3:32pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.212 seconds.