Buying Used OC-1- What to look for?

Sorry I hope this isn't too dumb or overly asked question. In buying a Used OC-1, what are red flags to look for? Are sellers usually upfront and honest about pukas, repairs, flaws of their boats? Can you tell by looking and examing the boat if it has repaired damage? Also, what impact do repairs of pukas, cracks and dings have upon the boat's stability? Finally is it better to buy a used Kanu from a dealer versus a private owner?

Submitted by 1Pake on Sat, 05/01/2010 - 5:10am

If its a quality used OC1 you are looking for, I have the answer. Maui made, double carbon, ultra light Scorpious. White hull and deck, yellow ama. Excellent condition. $3,500.00 firm. On o'ahu. I'm 5'10". PM me if you are interested. A good rule of thumb when doing your comparative shopping is due dilligence, ie. thoroughly check out the merch. Common sense goes a long way. If the boat looks shabby, it probably is. If the seller appears shady, he or she probably is. BTW, Happy May Day to everyone out there. Don't forget to buy your loved one a lei. A Hawaiian style white ginger lei should buy you alot of points with your pua hone.

#1 Sat, 05/01/2010 - 7:18am

My two cents-Ask if the boat takes on water, then paddle it and check. Look for stickers around the iakos. Check the leading edge of the rudder for abuse and the hull at the trailing edge of the rudder. Get the boat out in good light and look for mis-matched paint.
I think that carefully repaired cracks and pukas make my boats more stable (or at least heavier).

#2 Sun, 05/02/2010 - 8:39pm

Just take a friend along that has bought boats before.

The best ones are those owned by people that don't paddle.

#3 Sun, 05/02/2010 - 9:35pm

yeah, take a friend that knows for sure. put it together yourself, take it apart yourself, paddle it. when looking it over dont say anything. wait for them to talk and they will start spilling info. Just touch any pukas without saying anything and most people will start explaining what they are and you can kinda tell if they are imbelishing.

#4 Sun, 05/02/2010 - 11:27pm

Jpi,

Thats a good technique .. LOL.

aloha,
pog

#5 Mon, 05/03/2010 - 8:54am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.181 seconds.