C-1 or K-1

Am thinking of either taking up C-1 or K-1. Which in your opinion would be more beneficial to paddling OC-1? It would be awesome if I could get some input. Thanks

Submitted by JPNPADDLER on Wed, 04/14/2010 - 10:42pm

I say both will help, for the crossover training effect will always be of some benefit to paddling OC-1. However, the C-1 would really help a lot if you also paddle V-1. And definitely, the K-1 is tops for surfski training. You can't beat these tippy boats for sports balance training.

#1 Thu, 04/15/2010 - 1:21am

I think the Dolans are proof that K1/K2 training translates to OC1 paddling. Look for the post by Pat where he describes some of the direct correlations in power application, efficiency, etc. And like koa said, you can't beat the balance aspect.

#2 Thu, 04/15/2010 - 5:55am

The Dolans are a prime example of K-1 to OC1 prowess, but the canoe world is full of examples. Lauren Bartlett, Kalei Kahookele, Kaihe Chong, even Jimmy Austin has trained in the K-1.

#3 Thu, 04/15/2010 - 6:51pm

... but the canoe world is full of examples ...

it helps improve technique and performance for everyone who does it, doesn't it.

Among the senior paddlers many have started out on a surfski. When you ask about why they switched over, some say injury related, some don't really know, some say the fastest surfskis got too narrow to be fun in Hawaii unless you practice a lot.

#4 Fri, 04/16/2010 - 7:55am

I believe the ski has improved my surfing (you read waves better and find new wave oppurtunities), higher cardio and upper body fitness. My hips have become a lot more flexible and reactive, therefore allowing me to focus on my paddling (one man) in the ruff surf and not worrying about my balance so much.

#5 Fri, 04/16/2010 - 2:20pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.178 seconds.