Canoe Club???

What Canoe Club would you recommend? (I'm picking one based on its overall value/quality, and good experience,practice site/facilities)

1. Healani Canoe Club
  2. Hui Nalu Canoe Club
  3. Waikiki Surf Club
  4. Hui Lanakila Canoe Club

Submitted by paddle808 on Wed, 04/07/2010 - 11:21pm

Hu-hu Hui Nalu! Nah, I don't even know, but I think they're the only one of the four not based in the Ala Wai, which I would prefer to avoid. All awesome clubs, though...can't go wrong.

#1 Thu, 04/08/2010 - 7:38am

Yeah, all good clubs, but I might suggest Healani cause I'm biased. Depends on where you live too, unless you don't mind the drive. Waikiki surf club and Hui Lanakila is at Ala wai. Hui Nalu is in Hawaii Kai, and Healani is at Sand Island.

#2 Thu, 04/08/2010 - 8:35am

Actually healani is located at sand island and not ala wai

#3 Thu, 04/08/2010 - 9:42am

Another way to look at it is : "Who picks you?"

A canoe club might have everything you like location, canoes, value, and quality-but you just might not click with that club. So I would say go visit the novice coach and do one practice at 2 or 3 clubs. Then decide. Once you commit stick with it for the entire season and don't jump around within the season.

#4 Thu, 04/08/2010 - 9:48am

I have 2 daughters who are in the town area interested in joining a club for the summer, ages 14 & 15, what are some good clubs that have a good paddling program for girls?

#5 Thu, 04/08/2010 - 10:49am

We have pretty good kids program at a family oriented club at Healani. Just check out the Practice schedule on the website for more info.

http://gohealanigo.org/home.php

#6 Thu, 04/08/2010 - 10:56am

Good advice KonaJ. Question for paddle808 - did you consider the other clubs in town? You didn't mention Lokahi, Beachboys, Anuenue, Imua. Unless of course, your preference is to paddle for an OHCRA club?

#7 Thu, 04/08/2010 - 12:38pm

whats your goal. become good paddler, recreational, party or what . each club may offer diff aspects of paddling.

#8 Thu, 04/08/2010 - 10:20pm

If you have open wounds, cuts, sores, etc. Avoid the Ala Wai and Sand Island until fully healed. Both are famous as a source for terrible infections. I always shower and wash with green soap after paddling there.

#9 Fri, 04/09/2010 - 2:14am

Go Surf club Go!! Waikiki Surf Club located at the Ala wai at the end of University Avenue is a good club to learn traditions about Hawaiian canoe paddling. It is also a great family oriented canoe club. We have kids crew both girls and boys as well as adult crews too. Practices have just started this week. MWF Open men and Novice paddlers and kids boys crews, TTH Open Women and kids girls crews. Kids start at 4pm-5:30 and adults 5:30-7ish. Come down and ask for Glenell she is the head coach or check us out at our website www.waikikisurfclub.org

#10 Fri, 04/09/2010 - 7:19am

thank you for the links shy and joy

#11 Sat, 08/14/2010 - 3:26am

Hui Nalu has a really good girls program. Tina is a hardcore coach, but her girls always place.

#12 Sun, 04/11/2010 - 7:08am

Beachboys have and excellent womens entry and advanced program. The mens program is program also very good. Waikikibeachboys.com to see for yourself.

#13 Sun, 04/11/2010 - 1:20pm

Eh! What about the makule paddler? You think there might be clubs that can accommodate these paddlers at more reasonable hours, say between 9 a.m. and 12 p.m.? Most of them no can paddle in the late late afternoon because they got to pick up and take care all the children at that time. In the early a.m., they are getting them ready and dropping them off too.

#14 Sun, 04/11/2010 - 1:59pm

There's clubs down Ke'ehi lagoon but if you looking to paddle with an OHCRA club Keola O Ke Kai is the only OHRA club at Ke'ehi lagoon. they have a good kids program and its family friendly too. Keola focus on the youth and everthing works around the kids program its about them learning Hawaiian culture and values then being competitive though canoe paddling. so it all depends how u look at it and what u looking for.
go to HCRA paddler and u can look at all the clubs. or check out KeolaOhana.com

#15 Thu, 04/15/2010 - 2:02pm

Here is my 2 cents.
Value - the price is pretty similar everywhere - from $150-$200/year and then you usually need to do additional fundraising. (I paddle for Hui Nalu and the dues are $200 but last year there was no additional fund raising requirements, so in the end it was great value.)

Practice site/facilities: I am not just saying this because I paddle with Hui Nalu, but no doubt Hui Nalu has the BEST facilities around. They are the only club on Maunalua Bay so there is no crowding. They have a huge halau just for them. Their fleet consists of at least 25 canoes, including 3 koas (maybe more!), there are showers, and there is plenty of parking. Hui Lanikila and Surf Club on the Ala Wai contend with crowding in the canal, dirtier water, and difficult parking.

Quality: Well, as of late, of the clubs you mentioned, Hui Lanikila is tops - men and women. They are super competitive and have lots of crews racing. Hui Nalu does pretty well too, but not as good as Hui Lanikila. Healani is competitive in some races and I have heard it is a really good group and everybody is very nice. Surf Club has been struggling the last few years to keep good people and good coaches.

Overall: Well, I went with Hui Nalu after paddling with another club I was dissatisfied with...

#16 Sun, 04/18/2010 - 8:11pm

Thanks for all comments.....
Hui Nalu is looking tops right now....
i would be in the men freshman division....
any other recommendations for in-town canoe clubs???

#17 Mon, 04/19/2010 - 8:26pm

I asked this question earlier, but my family and I just returned home from vacation and my daughters were still interested in joining a club for the rest of the summer. I noticed that the Hui Waa and OHCRA have already begun their seasons. Does anyone know of some good clubs in the town area, that would still accept a couple of paddlers?

Mahalo

#18 Tue, 06/08/2010 - 1:40pm

lanakila

#19 Tue, 06/08/2010 - 5:22pm

Healani is still accepting new paddlers and there's a bunch of good coaches in the kids program, and a bunch of good kids. Check out the website for information on the coach and practice times, or just come down to sand island any afternoon to check us out.

#20 Wed, 06/09/2010 - 8:29am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.221 seconds.