Canoe Cracks

i have a mantra with about 10 little cracks in the gel coat around the boat, and a couple deep cracks where the kevlar/carbon fiber is showing. im planning on fixing this canoe and reselling it later on. i have tape over all the cracks, but water is still getting in. i was wondering how much it would cost to fix the whole boat? or would it be easier to just use the soapy water method of finding the cracks and fixing them individually myself? thanks

Submitted by ryim on Tue, 11/23/2010 - 11:11am

your planning on fixing it but asking how much to fix it?

tape is just going to trap moisture in. I take it if your asking how much it will cost to fix it you won't be fixing it yourself, so I won't give you a list of prices on epoxy/linear p/clearcoat and other goodies involved.

You didn't give your location so once you do I'm sure some guys can give you a name and # of someone who can do that work for you.

#1 Tue, 11/23/2010 - 5:24pm

You could probably band aid it with fiberglass tape and 4-1 marine epoxy resin. fill in the cracks with bondo or microbaloons first. Another fix would be Marine tex. Go to Fiberglass Hawaii and ask them wtf to do. Shouldn't be a real big deal if it's primarily cosmetic. If the boat was stressed and buckled, you may have bigger problems.

#2 Wed, 11/24/2010 - 7:35am

Ryim, Or anyone else on this board who has questions about this stuff.

Too many "it depends" to type in one sitting ... Email me if you want to talk on the phone.

aloha,
pog

#3 Wed, 11/24/2010 - 9:49am

#4 Wed, 11/24/2010 - 3:55pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.185 seconds.