Demo Day

I had the unique opportunity, at least for me, to try three different OC1s this past weekend. I paddled the Pegasus, Scorpius, and Scorpius XM and found them all to be very nice boats in terms of quality and comfort, but with one exception. The Scorpius, for such a high volume boat, was short in cockpit length and kind of feels like it is not meant for tall paddlers. I felt like my knees were too high and had a pinched-in feeling, just seemed kind of strange. The length in both the Pegasus and the XM is nearly perfect with the seat nearly or fully all the way back. I should mention I have a 35" inseam. With my weight at 185 I'll probably buy an XM at some point in the future, seems like the XM would be a better allround boat. Though the Pegasus is a nice paddling boat, at least in the flat conditions I tried it in.

It's been said many times to try as many boats as you can. In my case that was very sound advice because I was leaning toward the Scorpius.

Seems I read on here, or somewhere else, that there was a Scorpius in the works for longer legged paddlers. Anyone know about this? I've searched through some of the old threads but didn't see it.

Submitted by semdoug on Tue, 11/09/2010 - 3:44pm

the first shipment of xm's from china with the footwells farther forward is supposed to hit around december or january.

#1 Tue, 11/09/2010 - 4:13pm

Kai is in the process of making the Scorpius XL. The XL is the scorpius with the footwells moved up 3 to 4 inches which is better for tall guys.

#2 Tue, 11/09/2010 - 4:19pm

where did you demo? Doug Lock (3665505) or Kea on OAhu have a China XM with the cockpit forward you can demo. At 185 lbs that may be the ideal canoe for you. Loves big surf!

#3 Tue, 11/09/2010 - 9:08pm

Thanks for the replies.

This demo of Kia Wa'a OC1s was done at Vancouver, Washington with boats provided by NW Outriggers/Waterwalker. Again, this was a valuable experience and wish there was more opportunities to try boats from other manufacturers locally. I think all the boats were the latest version having been part of a shipment receievd about a month ago. Good news about the longer Scorpius XL for taller paddlers. Not sure what you guys are talking about with the XM and the cockpit forward. Is there an even newer verson than the one I paddled this weekend?

I'm also trying to get a test paddle on a Pueo, but have yet to receive a reply from the Seattle area rep. Not even sure that is a possibility since he told me a while ago that Pueos sent to the West Coast are built to order. Can anyone compare the cockpit lengths of the XM and the Pueo? Being able to fit in the length is my main concern, too short is a deal breaker.

I also have a local Outrigger Connection dealer about 2 hours north of me up in BC, Canada. Unfortunately, the last time I talked with them a demo was out of the question. They did not want to risk possible damage. But, I might try to see if they'll at least let me sit in one to check fit. They stock the Fusion, Zephyr, and Fuze. Anyone know how these compare to the XM in leg length?

Thanks

#4 Wed, 11/10/2010 - 3:47pm

I have a 34" inseam and have a buddy who is 6'7". ..long legs. We both have had fusions and zephyrs and found both to have ample leg room but for surfing it seems we sit too far back to get a good drop ...otherwise OK. Footwells moved forward a bit would be nice.

#5 Sat, 11/13/2010 - 9:45am

Yep! JD is the man. You were on the new China XM with the cockpit forward. That canoe should work well for you due to your weight and inseam. MAin thing- get a canoe and get into the sport. As you get more experience, you can always try other canoes - buy what is comfortable and fits your needs, experience. HAve fun!

#6 Sat, 11/13/2010 - 2:25pm

Yep, I sure liked the XM and it is high on my list. My next step is to try a Pueo, found one to demo but scheduling is a problem right now. Yes, I shall have fun, otherwise what's the point!

#7 Thu, 11/18/2010 - 3:11pm

Eckhart is a tall long streak of bird shit and he fits in a Pueo!

#8 Wed, 11/24/2010 - 11:56pm

@Clarkie - Hi Clarkie - good to hear from you.

My current opinion - for tall people - : if you paddle often, have your canoe customized, so that you can sit in your 'sweet spot'.
For a tall person, I'd move the pedals 6 inches forward - then you can do both, stretch your legs and move your seat.

Talk to the builders. They can extend the footwell on the mold temporarily for a 'one-off' quite easily. The tube for the front iaku may need to be moved forward, too.

#9 Thu, 11/25/2010 - 10:20am

Hey, I was just wondering as semdoug was too....is the "new" XM coming out of china different (cockpit moved forward) relative to the original XM? I hope to take delivery on a china built in the spring and like the idea of the more forward cockpit as this will be my surfing canoe. Or do you have to specify which style u want?

#10 Thu, 11/25/2010 - 2:53pm

if it is a china xm they all have the footwells moved forward.no need to specify.

#11 Thu, 11/25/2010 - 7:36pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.430 seconds.