DLNR

If your race fees on o'ahu go up and you're thinking about grumbing to the race organizers, remember this..........DLNR officials now have to be present at all races to the tune of $1,500.00 per race. If I understand this correctly, the channels affected are HK, Magic and Keehi. Just heard this on KHON 6:00pm news. I guess all the commercial enterprises who use these channels rule. Please correct me if I am misinformed.

Submitted by KGB on Tue, 04/06/2010 - 6:28pm

i say fuck them. organize a rally. they just waant to dip in the pot. there are some good bruddahs in there but obviously they dont have any upstairs.

#1 Tue, 04/06/2010 - 7:14pm

make the races jungle rules to a SUGGESTED AREA inside the harbors. they already upped the boating fees by like 300% in the past years with 000000000000 improvement to any docks ive seen. low and behlod i dont own a sailboat or yacht. we should lay some of there officials and management off. let the boys work their patrols and get back to work. shit half of them cant even swim

#2 Tue, 04/06/2010 - 7:20pm

Dont understand why Hawaii is cutting the feet off of their own sport. I agree with Keola - jungle rules...and I can go buy my own plate lunch. I know theres way more to it than that but if what KGB sais is true than its pretty bogus.

#3 Tue, 04/06/2010 - 7:52pm

I wonder how such a high fee came to be and where that money goes to - it would be nice to see a break down of the cost - seems quite unreasonable to the point of extortion - pay up or you won't get to hold your race
Sounds simply like an excuse for the state to increase its revenue

#4 Tue, 04/06/2010 - 8:38pm

I hope that its not true. That really sucks. Laura Thielen (DLNR chair) is from Kailua- home to so many paddlers, and still doesn't get it. Too bad. Hope the new governor replaces her.

#5 Tue, 04/06/2010 - 9:04pm

Jungle rules! If this is true, do a blockade of the ALa Wai HArbor. First, set a meeting up w/ DLNR to see if they will be flexible. If we don't stand up, they will think we approve of their actions. If we blockade with a bunch of six man's, Oc1's, standups etc, it will be initially ugly and then they will corrct their policies. Kauai did a blockade of the SuperFerry and it never came to Kauai again!

#6 Tue, 04/06/2010 - 9:35pm

So how many accidents, injuries, and/or deaths have been attributed to the races?

Here's the news release from DLNR

http://hawaii.gov/dlnr/chair/pio/nr/2010/NR10-043.pdf

I'd encourage everyone to read the entire thing. Below are a couple of excerpts.

However, due to the mix of different uses in these channels, volume of boat traffic, and restricted
maneuverability, adding races creates a potentially dangerous situation and dramatically
increases the potential for loss of life and property. DLNR and the Coast Guard have determined
that they cannot be used safely as a race venue without proper marine event permits and safety
controls.

The conditions that will apply in future to marine events include:
• DLNR and the USCG will not completely ban racing in the three specified boat channels but
have placed very strict guidelines and requirements for their use as racing venues. Both
DLNR and the USCG would allow racing in boat channels if all safety requirements are met.
• To conduct an organized race in Ala Wai, Keehi and Maunalua Bay channels, DLNR’s
Marine Unit of the Division of Conservation and Resources Enforcement (DOCARE) would
need to be contracted to continuously monitor and direct vessel traffic during racing. The fee
for DOCARE’s Marine Unit is $1500 for four hours. There is a four hour minimum.
• Safety requirements for all marine events conducted in State waters are detailed in Marine
Event Permits issued by DLNR with the concurrence of the USCG. Marine event permits are
required for all marine events involving groups of participants and watercraft.
• Each request for a Marine Event Permit has been, and always will be, reviewed on a case-bycase
basis and safety requirements will be stipulated according to the type of event, number
of participants and number/types of vessels.

#7 Tue, 04/06/2010 - 10:15pm

is the state/DLNR out of their minds????$1500 for 4 hours of what?? it takes only minutes for paddlers to clear the channel at the race starts.what would happen if races started outside the channels and finished outside ? then what? time to mark a line in the sand and stand up and be counted. this is nuts.

#8 Tue, 04/06/2010 - 10:52pm

$1500 in a 100 person race this will cost $15 more per person. What if the race starts in Hawai'i Kai and ends at Ke'ehi? Does a boat have to be hired for both channels? Now we would be talking about $3000 bucks to race. Or $30 more per person if 100 people race. This is silly!!

Tonight's 10pm news said nothing about the fees, only that racing would now be allowed. So much for unbiased news coverage. Thanks KGMB.

#9 Tue, 04/06/2010 - 10:55pm

Pretty hilarious - I enjoy reading the usage of the word "potentially" - there is a potential for anything to happen at anytime whether its a motor boat, sail boat, or canoe. I would like to see a $1500 fee accessed to every tour boat that goes out to the open ocean. I recall it was a tour sail boat whose mast had snapped and killed a passenger, a tour boat that rammed into a whale injuring one of the keikis on board. In every activity we do outdoors, there is a potential for injury or death, so every person should be accessed a $1500 fee?
I just saw tonight, yet another hiker being rescued. how many hikers have died this year? Bless their soul. How many hikers have had to be rescued? No matter what the activity, the potential for death will always be there.

Jet skis and Parasail boats all have a potential for death. it was just the other year that a parasail operator died when he attempted to zip line down the parasail.

In the excerpt:

“The feedback received during our recent meeting with local paddlers helped us to reach a
compromise that implements the proper safeguards to protect all waterway users, while still
facilitating race events that can be enjoyed by the maritime community,”

Who made the compromise on the $1500 fee per 4 hours?

For races lasting only an hour or so, such as the Hawaii Kai to Kaimana, you still have to pay $1500 since its a four hour minimum charge!

For races lasting longer than four hours, is that going to be $375 more per hour or do they charge another $1500 for another 4 hour slot making that $3000??

These things need to be clarified. The wording in that PDF document is scary to say the least since it leaves open not just a $1500 fee but POTENTIALLY $3000 for a days race for events lasting longer than four hours.

#10 Wed, 04/07/2010 - 12:54am

Did you read the "FACTORS" section. This is my favorite.

"during races, the participants place a higher priority on finishing and winning the race than avoiding a collision with oncoming vessels"

That has got to be the most ridiculous statement I've ever read. How many collisions with oncoming vessels have we had?

The second document in there also seems to indicate that if an event paid the $1500, the channel would be CLOSED for the 4 hours. If this came about because people were complaining they had to dodge those little annoying boats with things on the side while exitting Ala Wai in their 50 foot boat, this will really piss them off.

#11 Wed, 04/07/2010 - 1:23am

This is lame duck Lingle and her DLNR sidekick Thielen parting aloha to all us paddlers. As far as the Coast Guard is concern.............well, everytime you get a change in command, you never know if the new person in charge will be as sensitive to the wishes of the community as the previous leader. All these years, we've been lucky to have Coast Guard leaders that were pretty much akamai in dealing with the local community and of service to our island way of life. Now, it's rule with the big stick and the heck with you locals. So let's see what Neal or Mufi have to say. Will they reverse Lingle's policy and tell the Coast Guard and Homeland Security to go "Shove It" if any one of them become governor? Or be blackmailed because Homeland Security won't help us if there's a big island wide emergency? Go ask the former residents of New Orleans how Homeland Security helped them?

#12 Wed, 04/07/2010 - 1:12am

Ua Mau Ke Ea O Ka Aina I Ka Pono

"The Life of the Land is Perpetuated in Righteousness"

I am trying to figure out how the state motto equals=$1500.

Imagine if you told cyclists-Biking up Diamond head is dangerous and there are a lot of cars and tourists. In order to keep you safe we are charging you to bike that area $100 per year to have HPD patrol the area. You might say there is no way that HPD can guarantee my safety. You are right but please pay the $100 fee and shut up for retirement and pensions need to be paid.

Bikers would go mental

Imagine telling surfers. Surfing on the North Shore is extra dangerous. In order for you to surf there you will need to pay an extra $100 per year to have a permit to surf and we will have extra jet skis to keep you safe.

Surfers would go crazy

#13 Wed, 04/07/2010 - 5:20am

Sounds like a good time to go crazy....

#14 Wed, 04/07/2010 - 7:16am

slbrth, I disagree. I think there are many teams out there that put finishing and winning a higher priority than avoiding collisions. I have seen MANY instances of this from high school paddling to adult paddling. I've seen paddling teams go up and down the ala wai 8 boats across and make no effort to make way for others. Some people believe they own the water as long as they are on a canoe. Its these teams that are screwing all the other teams.

One instance is in the ILH. One school felt that because ILH had the permits for the channel every other boat that uses the channel should give right of way to the racing canoes. This school refused to maneuver around a laser sailboat and ran it over right before the finish line. What was appalling was the school put in complaints with the ILH and DLNR. Probably did help our cause...

So I think paddlers are at fault here too. It might be a good wake up call for us all. We don't own the water ways. No one does... except maybe sharks. They can do whatever they want, I'm cool with that.

#15 Wed, 04/07/2010 - 8:09am

No one owns the water, so why should we have to pay to use it? So if we start and finish all races outside we don't have to pay for this? What local paddlers did they consult to come up with this resolution? This is all pretty ridiculous.

More from the advertiser:

Canoe races OK for busy channels

#16 Wed, 04/07/2010 - 8:33am

Poo - thanks for some information on what you've observed. If the FACTORS section of their document had said something like "4 collisions and 13 near-misses over the past 3 years", I could accept that. It didn't have any facts, just some generalized statements. I've paddled in the waterways they list and have never had nor observed an issue.

#17 Wed, 04/07/2010 - 9:10am

Who dah canoe club went complain? Or school? Lolo?????????????????

#18 Wed, 04/07/2010 - 9:34am

EVERYONE Here is:

Lieutenant Commander Marcella Granquist, Waterways Management Division, U.S. Coast Guard Sector Honolulu, telephone 808-522-8266, extention 352, e-mail Marcella.A.Granquist@uscg.mil.

He is pushing this blockage on the coastguard side. I found it on line email him or call him your thoughts and be nice. Maybe he will hear us.

Ua Mau Ke Ea O Ka Aina I Ka Pono

#19 Wed, 04/07/2010 - 9:50am

all i heard was blah blah ..blah blah blah. let me know wen to get act stupid

#20 Wed, 04/07/2010 - 9:53am

the one thing this will encourage is very creative and general permit writing for the races. when it comes down to it the channels are between the markers. so now we will just have to clarify to paddlers that either the race "officially" ends when you enter the channel at the head buoy. Or in the case of Magic Island drop a buoy just diamond head of the channel and instruct all racers to turn on that buoy and then stay OUTSIDE of the channel markers until passing the finish line closer to shore. This way the channel is not used and no $1,500 dollar fee needs to be paid.

Sad that backdoor crap like this has to be invented but I guess this game has to be played.

On another note, paddlers going out of sand island have recently been stopped by the coast guard and warned that they are not allowed to cross the honolulu harbor channel. The next time will result in a fine of several hundred dollars. When the hell did paddling become a crime? So watch out south shore guys. With all those hundreds of container ships coming and going out of Honolulu Harbor every day, things can get pretty hairy.

#21 Wed, 04/07/2010 - 12:03pm

I was at the meeting with DLNR &Coast Guard. This is not what we agreed to. We discussed their concerns about safety, but were not able to site any incidents in particular. We voiced our concerns and were willing to take responibilities to patrol the chanels to make sure no rules of the ocean were violated by our racers. They said they needed to meet with their superiors and discuss. Once they discussed they said they would write something up and we could review it. This is BS a cash grab the first step in setting up the commercial activities in these waterways.. This is no compromise.
I was notified by a reporter calling my house asking for comment about a press release. So much for working together for a compromise. The paddling community should be livid. Whats the next step? We are consulting each other and will notify the paddling community when we have a unified plan.
Present at the meeting was representitives from OHCRA, Hui Waa, HCRA, PAA, ILH, Uncle Gilbert, and a representitive from Clayton Hee's office.

Kalani Irvine

#22 Wed, 04/07/2010 - 12:18pm

I wonder if this is supposed to apply to the outer islands??

Here on the Big Island the harbor, where the HIPA halau is located, is considering charging for parking. A meeting is taking place soon and all members were encouraged to attend. Technically its private property I guess but still along the same lines as what were talking about here. 2 big thumbs down!

#23 Wed, 04/07/2010 - 12:41pm

Screw the DLNR and who ever is spearheading this $1,500 project. Soon fishermen will be charged for catching any fish from the ocean. Might as well put cement on the ocean and call it a freeway.

#24 Wed, 04/07/2010 - 1:38pm

This issue needs to get on the evening news again. Kalani needs to let the press know that he was at the meeting and nothing was set in stone. We should not settle for this!

#25 Wed, 04/07/2010 - 2:19pm

Kalani, if possible could you let us know when the next meeting will be and if it is open to the public? I think the more people that are present the less likely some BS thing will happen again. People tend to act a bit different when they know there are many concerned people involved and there are actual bodies assigned to the numbers. Not just a list of how many people participate in each race.

Thanks for the first hand report of what actually took place at the meeting.

#26 Wed, 04/07/2010 - 2:29pm

how did DLNR come up with the amount of $1500.did someone say pick a number? i still cant believe all this. no reports of any collisions . hey, can you imagine how much it would be if there had been any???
i would imagine the race entries will now be in the $50 range. that blows my budget.

#27 Wed, 04/07/2010 - 4:43pm

Speaking of mishaps, there have been several sailboats over the years beached on the reef outside the Ala Wai, one off Diamond Head and in the last year there were two off Hawaii Kai. Who pays to salvage these when the owners can't afford to? Seems there are more problems with the yachties than one mans or six mans. Why don't they have to pay 1,500$ when they do the Thursday regatta races from the Ala Wai? We are being unfairly targeted.
On another note, I remember several races over the last 8 years or so where we had timers on a boat outside of Ala wai and off kaimana. Can we go back to this?

#28 Wed, 04/07/2010 - 5:08pm

dont forget friday yacht races at ala wai! talk about crowded channel. everybody all drunk..... we no grumble.

#29 Wed, 04/07/2010 - 7:06pm

if we let them get their way now it will set precedence for the future and any future rulings or laws. it never gets better, only more and more and more. if we got to make a voive, then let it be known. organize whatever boats we can and make a point

#30 Wed, 04/07/2010 - 7:09pm

This is scary stuff, its a serious problem when their is a misrepresentation from the people we talk to and the people who they talk to. When we get told something and then they go and do something else that is bull. Im all for the safety of the racers, and the boaters, but not when one side is being so blatantly punish over another. Do we need to call a lawyer or have someone who can take legal actions for us being targeted over other water crafts?

#31 Wed, 04/07/2010 - 7:24pm

Let the people of kauai be the example on this one. Meaning how they reacted to the superferry. Not saying I agree but they acted and achieved their goal. And it may not work but it sounds like enough of you on Oahu are pissed enough to organize something. Good luck to you guys, this should be interesting.

#32 Wed, 04/07/2010 - 7:40pm

Very proud of you Kalani, please keep us in the loop when a plan is made. We will all be there to back you up!

#33 Wed, 04/07/2010 - 10:24pm

Something that might help you all out, public meetings such as the one previously mentioned should have official minutes, especially for a decision on permitting. Those minutes should be required to be posted someplace for people to see. Doing a quick search for "hawaii dlnr minutes" turns up a page where it looks like a regular DLNR meeting's minutes are posted (here)[http://hawaii.gov/dlnr/chair/meeting]. No idea if this is the right meeting, but it's a start.

Best of luck getting this rule changed.

#34 Thu, 04/08/2010 - 3:23am

Tpoppler, I think you might have a good idea. If the different associations, like Kalani said, can create a unified plan maybe retaining a lawyer to help represent the paddling community is something worth considering.

#35 Thu, 04/08/2010 - 8:51am

I just came home from a meeting with DLNR & Coast Guard. The meeting was to clarify the press release and the issue of $ 1500 for a permit. The position of both the Coast Guard and DLNR is to keep the channels open to racing of all types of watercraft. Based on a case by case basis permits will be approved for races in the channel.
Their primary concern is canoes 3 and 4 abreast racing in the channel with no regard for other boaters thus causing a safety issue. Starting a race in the channel would be tough to get a permit, however finishes will be approved if rules of channel are observed. The worst case scenerio is they require races to close the channel in order to allow the race.There is a minimum of 4 hour window and DOCARE will have officers and boats to facilitate closure. That is the only time the $ 1500 will be required. They assured us of only three ocasions where this was required

The Associations and paddlers need to be aware and follow the rules of the channel and who has the right of way in all situations. The coast Guard auxilary has offerd to put on free classes for any Association of club to help the paddling community brush up on the rules. I will try to organize a meeting soon. Hope this clears up the issue for now.

There will be a meeting which is open to the public for discussion and clarification next Tuesday @ 2:00 PM at Sand Island. The HCC marine building.

Kalani

#36 Thu, 04/08/2010 - 8:35pm

And for Big Island from Randy today in my inbox,

The DLNR has already made decision to install a paid parking lot at Honokohau Harbor.
The only way it won't be implemented is if we make a lot of noise.

The paid parking area would include virtually the entire harbor, 24 hours a day. $.50 per hour or $10 per day, $90 per month.

The proposal and a comment form are at www.hawaiipaddling.com
You can make comments on the Talk Story form and fax to 326-7896

Better yet,
Call the DLNR Director, Laura Theilan: (808) 587-0400
Call or Email Cindy Evans (808) 586-8510 / repevans@capitol.hawaii.gov - our representative
Call or Email Josh Green (808) 586-9385 sengreen@capitol.hawaii.gov - our senator

Do nothing if you wouldn't mind paying to get into the halau to paddle or pick up your canoe.

Let's step up, the boating community is together on this.

Mahalo

Randy

#37 Thu, 04/08/2010 - 9:04pm

Been reading everyone's comments and there's some pretty good posts. What probably happened is Thielen got word of what was discussed during the first meeting via DOBAR and got upset, thus flexing her muscles. DLNR is her world and whatever she orders to her staff, pretty much goes, or you'll probably be forced to retire out or relocated. Just the way things work.

Another thing the public should know is that Thielen is part of the Lingle Administration even though she's been quoted as not being part of the Republican party. Right now the Lingle Administration is making cuts NOT solely because of the economy but because they (Lingle Administration) are trying to make back what they lost for their investors. Here's a list:

1) Superferry: A lot of private investors involved. Result: Project halted permanently. Someone has to foot the bill for the losses, taxpayers and whomever the administration has direct control of.
2) 1 billion dollars in frozen assets on a five year high risk bonds through A single broker. Can't even use the interest to save DOH, HSTA, HGEA and everyone else they service whether you support them or not.
3) Compound that with bad economy, paddlers a possible source of revenue and the facilities they use is a source of revenue. Take a page out of Rod Tams book, get on the zoning committee and service those that can pay up and add that with free rooms at hotels, food, dining bills, memberships, etc..

Sounds like a lot of senseless politics but its affecting us. So those of you that has the mentality of "ah, not affecting me, so I don't need to worry or help" should think twice. Anything involving the State/DLNR involves paddlers. The point is don't turn your back on the State till things are in black and white. Don't be the dog that gets thrown a bone and be content. Organizations are now uniting because the paddlers are in the way of the number one State asset, BEACH FRONT PROPERTIES, that are already owned by the State.

Carlton

#38 Thu, 04/08/2010 - 9:42pm

KGB: You're not misinformed. You are correct about all those commercial enterprises that use those channels rule. It was H.O.S.T. Hawaii Ocean Safety Team that got the Coast Guard involved in this matter five years ago and the resulting pressure on the State. Almost four years ago , the Coast Guard honcho, Admiral Manson Brown even presented to HOST an outgoing letter of commendation regarding harbor safety issues. HOST even has a Subcommittee for Ocean Racing and Recreation. I wonder why? Yet there are no paddlers on the board, even though a vacant ocean recreation board member slot exists. I wonder why?

#39 Fri, 04/09/2010 - 1:53am

k

This just doesn't make sense. There are some way better ways to handle the traffic problem and congestion. Prohibiting the space with a financial requirement is by default an exclusive initiative. This type of arrangement only benefits the people who can afford access. It a very narrow view and something which is definitely not a local way or even wider Polynesian way of looking at management of resources. It's perhaps the most moronic suggestion... ever!

I have to 100% agree with Carlton. It is not about safety. It is not about paddling. It is about political agenda. Behind the rationale of that political agenda lies the view that certain people have an 'entitlement' to a place. Small silos of these types of people nest in this land without any sense of local identity and without any interaction with the community. This is very alarming. If one was to step outside of one's 'world' and get involved, there are many alternatives that could be seen:

1. The Coast Guard and DLNR could sponsor races and get their craft out during the races to take part in the event. Be friendly, say aloha and employ to help get the water safety message out in a pono way. Have them at safety briefings.
  2. A series of buoys marking canoe lanes and powered boat lanes could be placed in the channel. Consultation with the canoe clubs, sailing clubs. If DLNR cant pay for it then how about organising community fundraisers to 'cleaning up and organise' the waterways? I'm sure everyone would support that.
  3. A series of community water safety workshops could be held at events to educate all sailing vessels, paddler, coaches and luxury craft who happen to be 'inconvenienced' by traffic.
  4. All luxury vessels should be taxed more for their damage to the environment. This covers not only incremental damage to water quality from oil, waste water spill off and rubbish, but helps restore the initial environmental damage by originally filling in the beautiful fish ponds and building a super-tourism resort.

Last year the Coast Guard put on a memorial race out of Hawaii Kai to Magic Isl. This race was roundly supported by the paddling community out of respect for the good job that the USCG does. And this is the way the USCG pays thanks.

#41 Fri, 04/09/2010 - 11:46am

Kalani Thx for attending that meeting. I was wondering if they could move the time back for that meeting to 6 or 6:30. I for one cannot make that 2 o'clock meeting. 6 or 6:30 would be great as it would allow alot of us paddlers who will be just getting out of the water to attend this meeting. It is funny that the Coast Guard would suggest these type of restrictions when in fact the CG memorial races have finished in the Ala Wai.
"Water Cures All" "Big Boys Kick and Glide"

#42 Fri, 04/09/2010 - 12:00pm

I am planning on bei8ng at that meeting. Kalani if it changes, plaese let us know.
Mahalo

#43 Sat, 04/10/2010 - 9:51pm

Kalani, Robin Bond just posted on my facebook page the meeting is the 15th..and that only one rep from each club should attend..Can you let us know for sure when the meeting is AND should the masses attend?

#44 Sun, 04/11/2010 - 9:23am

Wow!!! I just read Carroll Cox's article in PACIFIC PADDLER about the Coast Guard, DLNR and commercial interests. A BIG MAHALO for exposing another big SHIBAI by the State. It really does confirm that the State no care about our kids and their future, but only about commercial interests.

#45 Sun, 04/11/2010 - 2:24pm

I'm sure that there are numerous attorneys that are active paddlers, both OC-1 and OC-6. Please guys, time to step up.

#46 Sun, 04/11/2010 - 2:50pm

Kalani,

I saw Robin yesterday and he asked me to post that the meeting is Thursday the 15th...not Tuesday.

Rich

#47 Mon, 04/12/2010 - 12:30pm

Nakoa and I attended the meeting yesterday on behalf of the hawaiian sailing canoe assoc. (I am the president) Various folks from DLNR, Coast Guard and community leaders as well as reps from a couple canoe clubs. (kalani couldnt be there, he sent Mike Willet) Approx. 40 people in total.

I asked the question 3 times to Ed Underwood of DLNR about the $1500.00 that was reported, the canoe clubs, surf contest organizers, fishing tourn organizers and yacht club race organizers would be forced to pay. He said "after the DLNR reviewed their first release and the voices of all of us were heard, they went back and re-visited the issue further, he went on to say.."If the event has been permitted within the last couple of years, and the channel would not have to be closed, there would be no charge" My next question was: "What determines if the channel has to be closed now and not in the past when these events took place".

Both he and the Coast Guard commander stated " If there were fireworks, if the event had grown to several thousand participates (ironman on the big island etc). The width of the channel, vessel traffic etc (double talk in my mind)...

I then asked "why now, there has NEVER been even one accident in the last 50 years"
His response "they were looking at the possibilty of something happening"

My response as I looked up "That seems silly to me, there is a possibility this roof could cave in" What kind of answer is that? POSSIBILTY.

Nakoa Prejean (who is on our board and holds a 200 ton Coast Guard Captains ticket) then brought up the issue of the High school regattas. He stated "These kids are participating in a sport that brings them together, teaches them about team work and the culture, they are the ones who are going to suffer. They can-not and should not have to pay $1500.00 for each of their events. Where is that money suppose to come from? Has the state not done enough to hurt Hawaii's kids already!

The meeting went on and ED from DLNR again said, they were not going to charge.

I Then asked Ed from DLNR "will you put this statement in writing?" He said "yes"..I then sent him an email right from my phone asking for it.

After the meeting, A staffer from Senator Hee's office passed me a note asking for my email address so she could "send me a copy of the agreement and would I give my opinion on how it has clarified the expectations" (those are the words from her note). I got the idea that there are people who still do not believe what DLNR and the coast guard said.
I did learn some things I never knew, for example..There is only one person who handles all the permits for EVERY single ocean event held on Oahu from DLNR, she was there and I have to say, she is a doll. Our voices need to be heard at the very top of the DLNR chain. The ones who make policies. Our anger should not be put on the ones below who are just trying to do their jobs.

SO..I say we wait to see if DLNR is going to give me what I asked for in writing. If they don't, then all of us will need to rally together and do something about this. As the President of the Hawaiian sailing canoe assoc. I find all of this unexceptable. I don't think Ms. Theilen (head of DLNR) realizes how big our voices are. Hopefully we won't have to take this to the next step.

We all need to remain level headed and if need be, make our voices heard in a smart, organized way. Keep in mind, this issue, effects EVERY OCEAN EVENT HELD THAT REQUIRES PERMITS. Not just us paddlers. That is alot of voices:) I have spoken to Kalani.

#48 Fri, 04/16/2010 - 2:38pm

Mahalo for the update and awesome representation

#49 Fri, 04/16/2010 - 3:17pm

I am happy to report, I just got an email from DLNR confirming there will be no charge!!

#50 Fri, 04/16/2010 - 5:34pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.267 seconds.