Downwind Sled

I know they have a light weight 4 man canoe on Maui. I have not seen it or heard much about it. I was thinking there may be a demand for a canoe that is light enough to carry on truck racks and that four guys can sit in comfortably and that is outlined similar to the Tahitian style sleds.. It would be sweet to do a Hawaii Kai down run and then be able to put the canoe back on the truck and if conditions are right....do another run.. I really think there is a market for that kind of canoe. . Anyone check out demand yet ? I would buy one...I know others who would. Not for competition....just for the joy of downwind surfing.

Submitted by poidog on Fri, 06/18/2010 - 6:01pm

there is at least one in development as we type. get ready.

#1 Sat, 06/19/2010 - 12:50am

Outrigger Connection in Kailua has such OC 4 available and on display. Beautiful workmanship.

#2 Sat, 06/19/2010 - 8:31am

If you want a downwind sled to have an ultimate blast with your friends bUy 6 man from kamanu. I took out the one they are selling yesterday. My friends and I had the best time ever on the water surfing the biggest swells. I wish you were there to experience what open boats can do.

Here is a true statement that people who enjoy the water should understand: the limitAtions the have been placed on canoes have greatly hindered the sport and the fun that that the world has to offer. For the 20% dollars more you will pay for an open canoe you will get 100% more value, memories and stories about going down bombers with your friends, and pure excitement. Here is what artificial limitations are like: you are married to the one you love but there is an invisible glass between you and the other peron so that you can never hold them, smell them, kiss them, communicate with them. Now imagine you break that glass, what do you feel now......that is what an open boat feels like.

I had so much fun with my friends on it I bought it there. I don't care if i ever race it, taking it out on bombing days with 5 of my good friends hootin and hollering as we come down waves we never imagined catching before......like breaking that glass and experiencing what next.....that the gift of life.

Lot of cheese here I know..... But true stuff.

#3 Sun, 06/20/2010 - 9:09am

Great story, that's what paddling should be about I'm jealous, I'd say that's money well spent. Enjoy it.

#4 Sun, 06/20/2010 - 10:47am

Healthyearth, you describe exactly what the OCP Mafia felt during the 'Eono. Everyone in the crew promised that we would stop paddling, scream, raise our hands, or basically spazz out every time we caught bomber of a wave. Was it overkill? Maybe. But man was it ever FUN. That kept us pumped for a 4+ hour paddle.

And you know what? The Kapa'a in that race with a macking Ka'iwi channel was the most fun I ever had in a 6 man canoe. You hit the nail on the head with your description. Cheesy? Not by far. If people think you're being cheesy it's only because they haven't paddled an unlimited boat like the Kapa'a. Once they get a chance they'll see your description was spot on. It really is that much better.

To be honest I'm sad to see her sold and know I won't get to paddle her anymore... but at least I get to see that others are as STOKED as we were in that canoe.

Awesome.

#5 Sun, 06/20/2010 - 3:02pm

You want to have a downwind blast ? - paddle surfski.

If you are looking for an OC 4, see comment above.

#6 Sun, 06/20/2010 - 5:43pm

Jc 9, email when your in town and I'll take you.

Ed- I do and I have a hurricane tempest that halls okole.

None are in same class.

When you try it out you will be upset that you've and the rest of paddling world has been not truly experiencing what friends and the ocean have to offer.

#7 Sun, 06/20/2010 - 7:49pm

we have put our Makaha Surfer (Karel OC4) and have put an Opelu (Dowsett OC4) on the roof racks of our 1994 Pathfinder. We would put it on the roof racks of our 2007 Ford Escape Hybrid if we ever had the desire to leave Lanikai.

#8 Mon, 06/21/2010 - 6:57am

Healthyearth, can I be your friend? I am funny and pretty good with a sewing machine (to help with any canoe canvas issues).......

#9 Mon, 06/21/2010 - 7:00am

The Karel OC 4 is offered 'regular' ( 230 lbs ) or 'light-stiff' ( 130 lbs ); I looked at them today, they are available.
Don't know any specifics about the Dowsett.

#10 Mon, 06/21/2010 - 4:02pm

eckhart, is this the Makaha you're talking about or are they producing a new one?

#11 Mon, 06/21/2010 - 4:18pm

I have to agree with ecky, surfski is by far much more fun than a oc1 and oc6. There's just no comparison whatsoever.

#12 Mon, 06/21/2010 - 9:34pm

Does anyone know about any of the V-3 boats, or what people are trying to come up with? I saw that Tiger stated on his website that he has an oc-3 idea he wants to pursue. anything coming from anyone else?

#13 Tue, 06/22/2010 - 8:43am

Yup.

#14 Tue, 06/22/2010 - 9:35am

Given that s/ski is lightest fastest downwind paddler for open water, an alternative is to use the wind more and have a blast with more speed it gives.......ever been running downwind on big bumps with sails and you know what i mean.
A two man is the thing......not super light, but light enough to run into the surf and paddle out with sails up (depending on wind direction) then last downwind. Load onto the racks at the end of the run, and maybe do it again.

#15 Tue, 06/22/2010 - 10:09am

k

#16 Tue, 06/22/2010 - 2:07pm

I predict that in the near future v3's will be the new must have toy, they are so much fun and great for racing and downwind runs
and youve only gotta find 2 others not 5.

#17 Tue, 06/22/2010 - 2:44pm

Kevlon, for some of us it already is the must have toy but there aren't any available yet!

#18 Tue, 06/22/2010 - 5:10pm

The perfect craft for the jc9er Ohana.

#19 Tue, 06/22/2010 - 5:50pm

Maui Kanu in NZ make a V3. Here's the link: http://www.mauikanu.co.nz/w3.htm

Cheers.

#20 Tue, 06/22/2010 - 5:54pm

Exactly what I have been thinking for my ohana crew. Thanks for the link Hasto.

aloha,
pog

#21 Tue, 06/22/2010 - 6:43pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.235 seconds.