Epic Kayaks 20 Beaches 2010 - video

Final event in the Bing Lee/LG Ocean Series, the Iconic - Epic Kayaks 20 Beaches Classic. Merry Xmas and Happy New Year everyone from Ocean Sports Media .. hope you have enjoyed our official coverage of the Series. Big thank you to Tony King from Epic Kayaks and Bing Lee/LG for making the coverage possible.

Video here http://rambos-locker.blogspot.com

Submitted by Rambo on Tue, 12/21/2010 - 7:36pm

Everytime you put a new one up Rambo, I stop and go grab a snack + drink to 'settle in' and watch the newest.

Thanks for all the neat stuff.

aloha,
pog

#1 Tue, 12/21/2010 - 10:10pm

Where are the Aussie made surfskis? Remember when 99% of the skis in the 20 Beaches were Aussie designed and built? Only a double Interceptor ski was observed. Amazing that a European ski won this race. Wonder how it would perform adding an ama and na iako to the Nelo?

#2 Thu, 12/23/2010 - 1:48am

20 beaches is an awesome race. did it last year, backwards course from manly to palm, i think i got 90th out of 200!

not to pick on you koacanoe, but why do we all wonder how a ski would go if we turned it into a one man or vice versa with one man to ski? I had someone ask why i didn't rig my K1 with an ama to make it a fast flat water oc1. I don't get it, paddle a ski as a ski, one man as a one man if the boat was meant to be both it would be. I've never seen a multi tool do any one thing as great as just the specified tool.

Rambo, your videos rock

#3 Thu, 12/23/2010 - 9:51am

There were a few others Koa, spec skis like the Gibbons and Dolphin.

There are more and more Ocean Ski brands coming on the market all the time as the sport continues it's growth. This was always going to happen as there are so many Surf lifesaving clubs here with many ocean loving members, plus flatwater paddlers are now also using it as an off season crossover. With this interest hopefully some of these will form teams and paddle OC6 in the bigger races like Hamo and Molokai.

These top guys are averaging 17kph + so the skis and paddlers are seriously fast. I agree with Toa, putting an Ama on a fast ski is going to be slower than a properly designed OC1 as the ski still has primary and secondary stability built into the hull, OC1 has none, just the Ama.

Fantastic to see so many people getting enjoyment from the Ocean.

R

#4 Thu, 12/23/2010 - 12:05pm

Toa:
Simply just reflecting my frame of reference, since I have a deep appreciation for all the wonderful attributes these paddlecraft possess, which may or may not be interchangeable. And I'm always wondering how this boat would perform as a canoe or a ski. Years ago, converting a ski to a canoe was the only option available, and I'm stuck in that mode of thinking. For example, even in the flat, it is getting more and more difficult for me to paddle my very tippy Burton Molokai 2 ski, and I was wondering how it would perform with an ama after the 3rd capsize yesterday? Anyway, I still remember the puzzlement of the Tahitian surfski paddler on Molokai, many years ago when he saw his first OC-1, and asked the question: "why would anyone want to paddle that?"

#5 Thu, 12/23/2010 - 1:19pm

Merry Christmas from Australia !

There were a few Australian made ocean skis in the 20 beaches.. a few DD3s and one of our Stealth models but mostly Australian made is still SLSA spec skis .
 Back in the older days (smaller field then too)  SLSA skis were what you had to use and thats why they were ALL Australian.
I'm sure someone here can tell us when the rules allowed the longer/skinnier lighter Ocean skis in.  Lats

ps winner back in '93 on 19'X19" ha ha

#6 Fri, 12/24/2010 - 2:30pm

Thanks for the videos Rambo, I apprieciate and enjoy your work and all the videos on your website.

#7 Sat, 12/25/2010 - 4:06pm

Coming up next, Vaka Eiva 2010, Molokai Hoe 2010 (prep to mad Monday) and OC1/OC2 Nationals. That's about 5 hours of new Outrigger videos.

#8 Sat, 12/25/2010 - 6:36pm

Hey Lat's, I belive the tippy BM2 might have been the ski you raced back in the early 90's? It's carbon with just token primary stability and hardly any secondary stability. Yeah, I know the ski isn't tippy to you guys, but for me, I may have to add an ama so I can continue to paddle it.

#9 Sun, 12/26/2010 - 1:58am

I used a Force Field spec ski in Aust in the early 90s but Yes I used a Burton Molokai 2 in mid 90s molo and always had a bit of an issue with my calf muscles touching the footwells ,It would have been simpler to paddle with higher knees bit it was indeed tippy already .I think that design was minimising the wetted area and drag whilst keeping it wide enough for a Human butt but with minimal regard to any form of ease of balance.Ray had a background making rowing sculls and he also seemed to learn a lot from the South African ski he saw at the '83 World Surf titles .The Mk1 Deano had was a tiny bit more "user friendly" in the deck maybe . As to conversions Brad Kane had a Conner ski? that had been converted (back?) from an OC1 prior to him using a Hayden over there i remember.

#10 Mon, 12/27/2010 - 1:31am

Thanks Lat's,

Just wondering what happen to all the Hayden's? Didn't notice any in Rambo's video. Have they given up on the long ocean boats?

#11 Wed, 12/29/2010 - 1:45pm

Yes i think so ,mostly the Sunshine Coast guys are on Fenns and Epics now , It was probably due a bit to ski availability in Molokai /Dubai etc and these other brands/designs were shipped there for rental already.
I saw a picture of Brett Monaghan on a Hayden on Facebook at the "king of the coast" but not sure if it is a spec ski or not ?http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/photo.php?fbid=164131843632178&set=at.164131306965565.32003.100001060912393.1682400207&pid=330820&id=100001060912393 (not sure if you can click this link)

#12 Fri, 12/31/2010 - 3:29am

Hayden's haven't had a Molo Ski for some time. Their website lists a new one coming soon but i think that has been there a while.

That was a Spec ski Lat's that Brett was on you can see it in the KOTC Video.

#13 Fri, 12/31/2010 - 1:17pm

The latest ? PR2 (prototype 2) Hayden spec ski is interesting in that it has a conventional kayak style tail (vertical not horizontal yacht style ) that came from their last ocean ski design . I'm not sure if there any detailed photos to look at on the net though koacanoe. Lats

ps Rambo ,what was the format of the Noosa race with most paddlers on Spec skis but still some on Ocean skis ?

#14 Fri, 12/31/2010 - 5:53pm

You mean the Noosa Ocean Classic http://rambos-locker.blogspot.com/2010/09/noosa-ocean-classic.html or the King of the Coast.?

Noosa was just a day Darren Mercer put together, it was mostly for SLSA types including boards etc. Even Ben Allen paddled a Spec except for the Dash for Cash. How was Darren's daughter snatching (literally) the cash from Alyce?...haha so funny.

#15 Fri, 12/31/2010 - 7:34pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.358 seconds.