Expanding OC Culture to the Philippines

I just returned from a Dragon Boat festival in Boracay, Philippines (http://www.boracaydragonboat.ph/) this week and after 3 years of having raced against the locals and making good friends with many of them it occured to me that they are hugely strong paddlers who know the oceans but they lack Outrigger Culture as a means of connecting with the seas. Those who have been there know the place is a beautiful 3rd world country where the people are friendly but fairly poor. As such I'm looking for a way to introduce our sport and culture there and need to start by sourcing a used OC6 and paddles (can source an OC3 and some OC1's), and by trying to figure out how to ship them to the area. If I can get the gear there, I'm sure I can find a few people from Hong Kong to go with me to Boracay for a week or 2 to start teaching the art of OC paddling and the Culture. Any thoughts, past experiences or encouragement are appreciated.

Submitted by SkiBum on Wed, 04/28/2010 - 5:52pm

SkiBum, great idea, maybe teaching them to make their own paddles might help bring them in touch with the OC culture. The key might be finding a way to "blend" it into their own culture. Would be good if some OC manufacturers seen this as a way of expanding their markets and helped out, after all, they are the ones that will profit from any sales.

If i can think of any thing else that might help, get in contact with you.

Rambo

#1 Thu, 04/29/2010 - 12:27pm

Traditionally they have an "outrigger" type canoe called a "bangc" in the Phillipines...it's rather large though. So it'd probably catch on fairly quick and tie into their culture. When I stayed in Manila...I would see the dragon boaters every morning practicing in the harbor...so I don't think you'll have a hard time getting it to catch on if you can find a boat builder. There are a ton of woodworkers and craftspeople there, so with some plans and/or a mold (and some patience) you actually may be able to have some oc-1 or oc-6's made. Cedar strip method (not sure what an appropriate Philippine wood would be, though) is the easiest and quickest to make. I have a friend in Washington that can make a 35' canoe in two weeks by himself (although he is a bit of an anomaly and a bit expensive)...so I could only imagine what multiple Filipino builders could do and with inexpensive labor and materials. Good luck..keep us posted if you can get it started. I got some family in Cebu...so I'd love to paddle in the Boracay when I go back and visit.

#2 Fri, 04/30/2010 - 4:09am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.151 seconds.