Foam Core OC6

Anyone have an opinion on a foam core OC6?

Submitted by caligirl92110 on Tue, 05/25/2010 - 7:05am

I think it's worth extra cost. However, I think the thickness makes a huge difference.
Some builders have used really thick foam, such as 1/2-3/4", while the new lightnings out of canada are only using 6 mil. Huge difference in overall stiffness between the two.

#1 Tue, 05/25/2010 - 7:42am

what kine lay-up betwen that snadwich?
i mean regular fiberblass cloth-foam core-cloth...?

mahalo for sharing...

#2 Wed, 05/26/2010 - 4:26am

Make sure your builder is using FOAM and not COREMAT. Big Difference.
The core is a sandwich between to layers of cloth / glass

IT should be standard on most canoes. I do not know any builders using 3/4"

#3 Fri, 06/04/2010 - 7:38am

Our clubs practice site is really rocky, and with the tide changes in the Pac NW, the hulls tend to get gouged up. Would this be an issue with a foam core hull? If the gouge was deep enough to reach the foam core, could it get waterlogged? I know this might be a dumb question, but I don't know enough about foam core construction.

#4 Sat, 06/05/2010 - 5:20am

I'm new to canoe construction issues and just wonder what the pro and cons of different canoe constructions also. What about the lighting vs mirage 2 core construction?

#5 Wed, 06/09/2010 - 11:20am

Yes Ocean , if the bottom gets Gouged up often then Foam is not for you. Unless the foam is on the sides only and the Hull is solid Glass.
With Normal HCRA specs there is enough weight to not need core (unless you are a top crew losing races by a few seconds) Core adds lots of stiffness,but is usually more expensive to manufacture or buy.

#6 Mon, 07/12/2010 - 12:37am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.352 seconds.