Foam for racks

Does anyone know where to buy the box foam that can be cut to fit racks? The finished racks seems to be very expensive for a chunk of foam.

Thanks

Submitted by THEKID26 on Sun, 09/12/2010 - 9:15am

How about using pipe insulation? You can find it in convenient lengths at Home Depot, Lowes, or any hardware store for about $6-8 a piece and you use pipe wrapping tape to secure it to the bar. Or go to Walmart and see how much they want for one of those long floaty pool thingies (technical term).

#1 Sun, 09/12/2010 - 5:11pm

For years Ive used "Floatie Noodles" from walmart. They have 2 thicknesses. Thinner 1 is $1.99, thicker is $3.99.

They started selling them @ Hardware Hawaii Kailua about 6 months ago. Screw paying $30/40 for foam from surf shops( no offense to local surf industry buisness).

They come 4ft length, multiple colors.

#2 Sun, 09/12/2010 - 8:22pm

Thank you both. I have foam that covers the rack. The problem with just foam on the rack is that the boat always goes upside down on the car. I have to remove water bottle/gps cage everytime. I know it's not that big of deal but the window to paddle is always a small one and time is of the essence.

I was looking for the foam that huki sells. They are pre cut so you can drop the foam right onto the rack and the boat goes rightside up in the pre fabbed cut. If I can find the foam i can cut it myself. Any dealer on line wants $70 plus for the pre cut foam.

$70 bucks buys a lot of other things...

Once again thank you both for trying and taking the time.

By the way "justthetip" screen name, freaking classic..

#3 Wed, 09/15/2010 - 8:20pm

Minicell Foam ... www.foambymail.com

aloha,
pog

#4 Wed, 09/15/2010 - 8:46pm

Here's another place to get it. I ordered from these guys and was pleased with the product.

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2076&pdeptid=1091

#5 Thu, 09/16/2010 - 5:53am

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. Very helpful.

#6 Tue, 10/05/2010 - 4:23pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.286 seconds.